Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,866 of 7,916
I agree that vocals don't sound unnatural on the HTC 10, but I think the extra warmth does colour them slightly. I listen to a lot of Japanese music and with female vocals there is a slight difference. I also notice it with drums in certain songs. It probably wouldn't matter to most people. I think the HTC 10 is a fairly nice phone and I might even consider buying it if I didn't have my V10. But I've had it the last few days and nothing about it makes me want to replace my V10 with it.  And the V10 is the one I reach for when I want to listen to music.

May 26, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #2,867 of 7,916
The ZTE Axon 7 has been officially unveiled with AKM chips. We might have another contender:

Some of the other major features of the phone include the return of Hi-Fi in a big way: the Axon 7 has two audio chipsets from AKM, one providing the DAC function and the other as an amplifier.  The 24-bit 96KHz playback is further enhanced with Dolby Atmos codecs. You can hook up a pair of cans
 or use the device’s dual, front-facing speakers — configured into different modes.

http://pocketnow.com/2016/05/26/the-new-zte-axon-7-is-alive-with-up-to-6gb-of-ram

May 26, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,868 of 7,916
i would like to know how come on galaxy 7 edge it is mentioned it supports high res, what does that mean

i care about if i can play 192/24 bits wihtout down sampling

what dac is in the edge 7

May 26, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #2,869 of 7,916
i would like to know how come on galaxy 7 edge it is mentioned it supports high res, what does that mean

i care about if i can play 192/24 bits wihtout down sampling

what dac is in the edge 7

Most Samsung phones support high-res. What that really means is that it is capable of playing high-res files, but he actual output will be down-sampled to 48khz.

I use the Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC and it supports high-res up to 192khz, but its maximum output is 96khz. It will still play the high-res files, but at a lower output.

May 26, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,870 of 7,916
If not wanting to spend extra money on apps, for the s7 download Samsung music player from the App Store, this supports hi res (UHQ as they call it)

May 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #2,871 of 7,916
Most Samsung phones support high-res. What that really means is that it is capable of playing high-res files, but he actual output will be down-sampled to 48khz.

I use the Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC and it supports high-res up to 192khz, but its maximum output is 96khz. It will still play the high-res files, but at a lower output.

then why advertise it plays back high res

i am just not getting the whole thing here

what dac is in edge 7

May 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #2,872 of 7,916
While phones nowadays have decent audio chips, it will never be able to beat a DAP. Even the V10 will not come close.

Recently LG tried to pit the G5 against a DSLR and tried to market the G5 for its wide angle lens. Unfortunately it will still lose due to the image quality.

In short, things that were made for that sole intended purpose will always perform better than an item that packages everything into 1.

Never say never. Already not impressed (and I'm trying to be neutral here) with 3 "hi-fi" DAP with price over any smartphone with decent audio. Problems with playback (clicks, noise, stopping, unable to play some FLAC/APE), bad interface, no .cue support, short battery life.
I am trying to be realistic here. What sound quality do I need while being mobile or at work? Street noise, footsteps sound, keyboard-n-mouse clicking, talking ppl... Noise isolation is not perfect.

May 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #2,873 of 7,916
I was considering the iphone 7 but not without a headphone jack.I guess you can still use usb out.Does not matter.No headphone jack is a huge deal breaker.Oh apple !!

May 26, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,874 of 7,916
then why advertise it plays back high res

i am just not getting the whole thing here

what dac is in edge 7
read my post above yours...

In some, if not all markets the anti competition ruling means you cannot supply your own additional components in the box (hence Google music is the only option when first firing up the S7)

For more info on that read up on Windows N for Europe, and what that means for internet explorer

May 26, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,876 of 7,916
If not wanting to spend extra money on apps, for the s7 download Samsung music player from the App Store, this supports hi res (UHQ as they call it)

i am sorry the more i read the more i get confused about high res on edge 7, and what does the statment above mean, sorry for asking, as i am in the market for a new phone and i like the looks and specs of edge 7 but i also want to enjoy tidal and high res audio as well

May 26, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,877 of 7,916
i am sorry the more i read the more i get confused about high res on edge 7, and what does the statment above mean, sorry for asking, as i am in the market for a new phone and i like the looks and specs of edge 7 but i also want to enjoy tidal and high res audio as well
You have to download the native Samsung music player from the Play store (it isn't included on the phone when first setting up), this will then allow playback of hi-res files without downsampling.

Tidal will work with no problem.

The S7 sounds a little muddy compared to an external DAC, but - definitely not too shabby for an all in one device.

May 26, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,878 of 7,916

Tidal streams CD quality, which maxes out at 16/44. All smartphones can play 16/44 natively.

Support for high-res means the S7 can play high-res files, but they will be output at a lower res. Just like how a 1080p screen will play a 4K video, even though the screen will only output a max of 1080p.

May 26, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,879 of 7,916
Further to my last post...

The music player on the App Store

Confirmation of hi res playback...

May 26, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,880 of 7,916
so galaxy edge 7 plays high res without down sampling with the samsung music player

thats interesting to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back