**Best HP's for the money**
Nov 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:
The MS1 can be found for around $100 and is higher up the chain than the SR60.

In Canada the SR60 sells for around $100, and the SR80 retails for $140

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #33 of 43
That's true. But I think people are focusing more on how popular the headphones are in terms of their sound quality and overall value.
Why have the D2000's become so expensive? I got my pair for $230 from J&R a year ago... now I see them around $300-400.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:
That's true. But I think people are focusing more on how popular the headphones are in terms of their sound quality and overall value.
Why have the D2000's become so expensive? I got my pair for $230 from J&R a year ago... now I see them around $300-400.

The D2000, D5000 and D7000 are out of production but still pretty sought after so prices have gone up.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #36 of 43
The D2000, D5000 and D7000 are out of production but still pretty sought after so prices have gone up.

Oh okay, That makes sense; I didn't know that at all. I don't understand why they would discontinue them, though. They are all amazing headphones. Hopefully I can sell my pair for $500+ used in the future due to the rarity. :D

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:
Oh okay, That makes sense; I didn't know that at all. I don't understand why they would discontinue them, though. They are all amazing headphones. Hopefully I can sell my pair for $500+ used in the future due to the rarity.
biggrin.gif

Well, I don't think they're going to be worth THAT much.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:
No you are not missing anything there, the MS2i is excellent.

Glad to hear I'm not missing anything, because since that post I've been listening to Paul Simon,Fleetwood Mac,Santana,Bad Company, and Live, and these headphones are just amazing for the price, and I could'nt imagine that all of these other models could be that much better than the MS2i, being that nobody was posting them in the 300$ slot, so I thought maybe I jumped the gun on the MS2i, and should have listened to some other make's/model's but I really liked the sound sig of the grado SR80i's And have already heard the SR325is and loved it but went for the MS2i's because reading some posts they were a more balanced headphone so I figured how could I go wrong, and I agree they are excellent headphones,cheers to your good ears also!

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #39 of 43
Yes, MS2i is really beautiful. In a interview John said:

"How did John arrive at the Grado Sound? Does he forsee revisiting the "Grado Sound?"

John, under the wing of his uncle, was trained from an early age on how to listen to music. Joe, an accomplished opera singer and renowned for having a true "golden ear," set John on a path emphasizing the emotion behind the music. John further developed this sound into the musical and very fun Grado sound we know today. At this time, John likes what he hears and wants to maintain this house sound."

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 43
I would put the RS1i around the $400-500-600 range, but the RS1i does vary immensely according to the location. For example, when I visited Korea, the RS1i was $800 USD converted... But in Canada I can get one for $550. A lot of people don't like Grados, but I certainly do. The RS1i seems to hit the most amount of benefits in the entire Grado lineup IMO. It just seems to be the most well rounded off Grado HP (haven't listened to the HP1000).

Like Jerg said, HE-500 gets my vote as well. I think the LCD-2 wins the $1000 slot.

I think the Beyerdynamic COP fits nicely in the $150-$200 slot.

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #41 of 43
I'd be interested in knowing more about the COP. There was some buzz about it pre-production and then I didn't hear anything else about it. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:
Oh okay, That makes sense; I didn't know that at all. I don't understand why they would discontinue them, though. They are all amazing headphones. Hopefully I can sell my pair for $500+ used in the future due to the rarity.
biggrin.gif

Denon didn't have a choice.  Fostex was the manufacturer of the D2000, D5000, and D7000.  Whether they just got into an argument over their business deal or whether Foxtex simply wanted to enter the market with their own dynamic designs, we don't know.  Yet, Fostex has the updated version of the D7000 and D2000 already - TH900 and TH600.  I think they even have the "new version" of the D1000 in the works, the TH400.

Unfortunately, as others have said - the new Denons suck and the Fostex's are more expensive than the Denon versions ever were.
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:
Unfortunately, as others have said - the new Denons suck and the Fostex's are more expensive than the Denon versions ever were.
frown.gif

I'd keep on gravitating towards cheap underdog manufacturers. The big names can take their prices down if they only wanted to, but rather won't if they instead can shift consumer perceptions of what's good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back