Best headphones under 500 dollars
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #46 of 109
Quote:
From Hifimans homepage. But I guess I need to pay taxes. :/

Nope, just tell the Hifiman/Head-Direct customer service (after ordering) to label it as 'gift' to mitigate the taxes, they'll probably comply.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #47 of 109
There are many excellent headphones in the <$500 category. Here are 5 headphones and IEMs that depending on your taste, your amplification capability that will provide enjoyable listening.

AKG K702
Beyerdynamic DT-880
Etymotic ER-4S
Hifiman H-400
Sennheiser HD600
Westone 4R

I own both the AKGs and the Westones and enjoy listening to both. With that being said, many prefer Etymotic, Hifiman or Sennheiser. Consider wear weight/comfort and the amount of acoustic isolation that you need as well.

Good Luck

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #48 of 109
Quote:
Both of us have been down this road. It comes down to preference and what music you enjoy. 650s=intimate/enjoyable 400=Detailed/fuller frequncy representation. 650's certainly need a good amp though.

Thanks for the clarification. Which one sounds better on an m-stage(I'd really like to hold off on upgrading my amp)? or rather, is each of these headphones driven to their potential by an m-stage? I heard that the 650s sound as good as the amp they are played through while hifiman's website seems to imply that the he400s are easily driven. I currently have akg k550s as my main headphones and they just don't have the sound I'm looking for in my main rig though I definitely like these better than the k701s.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #49 of 109
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Which one sounds better on an m-stage(I'd really like to hold off on upgrading my amp)? or rather, is each of these headphones driven to their potential by an m-stage? I heard that the 650s sound as good as the amp they are played through while hifiman's website seems to imply that the he400s are easily driven. I currently have akg k550s as my main headphones and they just don't have the sound I'm looking for in my main rig though I definitely like these better than the k701s.

The HE-400 sound fine off of the M-stage. They are leagues above the 550 to my ears. The HD650s sound OK as well with the M-stage, but are not even close to the potential they have with a better amp.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #50 of 109
Im starting to think I need closed cans. I dont want any sound coming in or out. My girlfriend is complaining right now when Im writing this.
So what are the options then? Im going to have to sacrifice alot to get closed cans`?

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #52 of 109
Quote:
Im starting to think I need closed cans. I dont want any sound coming in or out. My girlfriend is complaining right now when Im writing this.
So what are the options then? Im going to have to sacrifice alot to get closed cans`?

IEMs would provide the  sound isolation you are looking for.  Maybe Shure... or the Westone's mentioned above.  I love the clarity of the Etymotic brand, but I have some doubt if it's going to have the bass impact that you want.  

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #53 of 109
Quote:

I have an option for you, but you aren't going to like it...

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #54 of 109
Quote:
I have an option for you, but you aren't going to like it...

biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #55 of 109
Dont think I want IEMs. From my experience they have no isolation at all?
Is MD's also modded Fostex?
The d5ks would be an alternative but they are so expensive.
What about Ultrasone? They have closed cans I think.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #56 of 109
Quote:
Dont think I want IEMs. From my experience they have no isolation at all?
Is MD's also modded Fostex?
The d5ks would be an alternative but they are so expensive.
What about Ultrasone? They have closed cans I think.

With IEMS you get the most isolation possible. Since they go in your ear the small drivers are really close to your tympanic membrane. What this achieves is high isolation with low volumes that won't leak out or in. They are basically earplugs with tiny speakers. The maddogs are modded t50rps(haven't tried them) and the denons do sound real nice but I only got to listen for about an hour or two. I have some ultrasone hfi580s that I like very much but they don't have a "balanced" or "neutral" sound, I haven't tried any other ultrasones but I do enjoy my hfi580s when listening to bass heavy music.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #57 of 109
IEM's are fantastic if you get the right one for the sound signature that you're after AND you can get a good seal. The dynamics, isolation, sound stage ect are all there. It's amazing what they can do to be so minuscule. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #58 of 109
Quote:
IEM's are fantastic if you get the right one for the sound signature that you're after AND you can get a good seal. The dynamics, isolation, sound stage ect are all there. It's amazing what they can do to be so minuscule. 

I would agree in general, however at the price points you do need to get more expensive IEM's to match performance (ignoring the other elements of signal path) of headphones though.  YMMV, but that has been my experience so far.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #59 of 109
I use headphones more than IEMs, but I agree with what others are saying about the isolation. I am a big fan of the Comply tips on my Atrio IEMs and the isolation and bass response I get with this combo is unreal. If I pair them with a ZO2 amp, it'll rock my head into submission. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #60 of 109
As a clarification to the OP.  It sounds like you may be familiar with earbuds,
which sit in the outer ear and do not create a seal.   IEMs insert into the ear
canal and form a seal using foam or silicone tips.  This provides excellent
isolation from outside sounds.  And vice versa.

For example, the Etymotic IEMS attenuate outside sounds by 35-42 dB !

The isolation of the very capable Denon AH D2000's are listed as 10 dB attenuation.

The Sennheiser HD 280 PRO -- which have a very tight fit for most heads -- have an
astounding attenuation of 32 dB.  

So IEMs are the best -- or clearly among the best -- at isolating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back