Best headphones under 500 dollars
Oct 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

hallonpaj

Head-Fier
Hi.

Ive got a pair of Sennheiser RS180. I just bought a Dacmagic plus, and they suddenly got twice as good.
But I want more now! Barely listen to my Dynaudios anymore.
Could you explain the differences between the phones under $500? The ones ranked the highest seems to be the:
AKG701, Beyer 880, hd600 & 650, hifiman 400.
I mostly listen to different versions of metal. some reggae and hiphop. Im also gonna use them for gaming at the pc.
And yea I wanna be able to use my Dacmagic, otherwise it will be to expensive for me now when Ive started to study again.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 109
The K701 (I have not heard the Q701) is extremely detailed and very good, but some feels it lacks bass. In addition, its sound signature is kind of all over the place in the midrange, and it also has some interesting treble spikes.

The Sennheiser HD600 is the more neutral of the two Senns, and though the HD650 has the edge in some areas (including detail), many prefer the HD600. I personally think the HD650 is more musical and has more sparkle.

The HE400 is like a Grado (if you've heard one) with some warmth injected into it. It's fast-paced and great for rock, and being an ortho it has some really great, deep-reaching bass. It's not quite as warm as the Sennheisers, though.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 109
The K701 (I have not heard the Q701) is extremely detailed and very good, but some feels it lacks bass. In addition, its sound signature is kind of all over the place in the midrange, and it also has some interesting treble spikes.

The Sennheiser HD600 is the more neutral of the two Senns, and though the HD650 has the edge in some areas (including detail), many prefer the HD600. I personally think the HD650 is more musical and has more sparkle.

The HE400 is like a Grado (if you've heard one) with some warmth injected into it. It's fast-paced and great for rock, and being an ortho it has some really great, deep-reaching bass. It's not quite as warm as the Sennheisers, though.

Never heard the grados. They arent that common here in sweden. I think the look of the denons are nice but its only one store that imports them here, so they price them as they please. The d5000 are three times the price of the others, d600 twice. Are they really worth that?

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 109
Personally, I think the Denon range is overpriced even in the U.S., with the exception of the D2000 when it's on sale for under $300. A lot of people here will disagree with me, but I honestly would not pay above $300 for a D2000 or above $550 for a D5000. I haven't yet heard Denon's new range, so I can't comment on those yet.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 109
Quote:
Personally, I think the Denon range is overpriced even in the U.S., with the exception of the D2000 when it's on sale for under $300. A lot of people here will disagree with me, but I honestly would not pay above $300 for a D2000 or above $550 for a D5000. I haven't yet heard Denon's new range, so I can't comment on those yet.

That's kind of how I feel about the AKG 701s. I got my pair of Qs recently for $236, and I don't know if I can justify paying a whole lot more than that. I like them quite a lot for movies, but for music they just don't quite cut it. I know people love these headphones, though, so like you with the Denons, I suppose Im in the minority with the AKGs. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 109
Quote:

Like a Grado? I can't find many similarities between the two that makes it like a Grado in my sense. Other than it being fast-paced, I think that's the only bit haha. And for rock, the HE-400 is pretty good, not great by my standards (just opinions as a HE-400 owner). The HE-400s are a bit dark while the Grados are very bright; opposites as some people would say. It does have great bass though, really one of the best under $500? Dare I say it, under $1000? (considering the HE-400 has better bass than the HE-500 IMO in terms of overall tightness). The HE-400 achieves GREAT balance making it quite the universal headphone playing every genre very well. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 109

At my local store they want 840 dollars for a used demoex d5000. Guess they we're more expensive new. Does that really make them an option compared to the others? I'm not willing to pay that much for headphones atm.

In the pictures of all the grados I've seen, I get the feeling they are very small? I mean the cups looks like they are going on the ear rather than around?

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #9 of 109
Tried the HD600/HD650, owned the DT-880, to me they don't hold a candle to the K 702. Subjectively, all three are "very close" in that they all have high sound quality, but the K 702s take it to the next level for my tastes.

Bass on the other two is more of the dark/mushy variety where as on the K 702s its very punchy and quick, you really hear the drums and rattles instead of just "bumph bumph bumph".

The soundstage is amazing. A track with footsteps moving from the left to right channel in the other two just sounds like, well that.
In the K 702s it actually sounds like a very tiny man tap dancing through one of your ears and out the other.

And of course the AKG mid range is still there so they are the ultimate guitar/vocal headphones but unlike the lower AKG models these also have deep bass extension and tight treble which is clearly separated from the slightly dominant mid range.

More comfortable than the clampy DT 880 (especially the pro version) and infinitely cooler looking than the HD600/650 (just an arbitrary bonus).

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #10 of 109
Quote:
At my local store they want 840 dollars for a used demoex d5000. Guess they we're more expensive new. Does that really make them an option compared to the others? I'm not willing to pay that much for headphones atm.
In the pictures of all the grados I've seen, I get the feeling they are very small? I mean the cups looks like they are going on the ear rather than around?

Denon's D5000 had some popularity before it was discontinued. IIRC, they were $1,200. But they're not an option if that more than you're willing to pay for headphones.

The Grados are definitely "going on the ear".

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 109
Tried the HD600/HD650, owned the DT-880, to me they don't hold a candle to the K 702. Subjectively, all three are "very close" in that they all have high sound quality, but the K 702s take it to the next level for my tastes.

Bass on the other two is more of the dark/mushy variety where as on the K 702s its very punchy and quick, you really hear the drums and rattles instead of just "bumph bumph bumph".

The soundstage is amazing. A track with footsteps moving from the left to right channel in the other two just sounds like, well that.
In the K 702s it actually sounds like a very tiny man tap dancing through one of your ears and out the other.

And of course the AKG mid range is still there so they are the ultimate guitar/vocal headphones but unlike the lower AKG models these also have deep bass extension and tight treble which is clearly separated from the slightly dominant mid range.

More comfortable than the clampy DT 880 (especially the pro version) and infinitely cooler looking than the HD600/650 (just an arbitrary bonus).

What's the difference between K701 and K702?

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 109

What's the difference between K701 and K702?
And have you listened to the Hifiman 400?

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 109
I can honestly say that I like the Shure SRH-940's a TON better than the K701's. You might look into them. The 940's are also far easier to power than the AKG's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back