Best headphones under 500 dollars
Oct 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #31 of 109
As many have said, with the right amp, the 400's are among the best value in the headphone world under $500 right now, there just isn't anything else (save for the mad dogs, but those are smaller drivers/closed) like it in that price range.

I am content to end game it with my setup now. Only thing I could think to add is a Bitfrost down the line and maybe upgrade to LCD2's at some point. No rush though, i'm in love with this setup.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #32 of 109
To answer your question, yes. The HE400 is entirely different beast from what you already have.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #40 of 109
Quote:
The Sennheiser HD600 is the more neutral of the two Senns, and though the HD650 has the edge in some areas (including detail), many prefer the HD600. I personally think the HD650 is more musical and has more sparkle.

The HD650's edge the HD600's in detail? This is news to me. I always thought the 650's had a reputation for being darker and more veiled. The frequency responses clearly shows this:

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #41 of 109
So you guys would say that the he400 is better than the hd6xxs? I'm trying to decide between these two for my next upgrade. Also, do you guys think a matrix m-stage is good enough to drive the he400s? the hd6xxs? or would there be a substantial benefit from upgrading the amp and dac?

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #42 of 109
Quote:
So you guys would say that the he400 is better than the hd6xxs? I'm trying to decide between these two for my next upgrade. Also, do you guys think a matrix m-stage is good enough to drive the he400s? the hd6xxs? or would there be a substantial benefit from upgrading the amp and dac?

No I would not say that. The are both great hp's that some would consider about equally matched. If I was forced to choice, and I recently was, I'd pick the hd650. Why? Comfort and fantastic mids. This is where is gravitated lately. The he400 will thump the hd650 on sub bass. The hd650 offers good mid bass but can not compete on the sub bass arena. 

gL!!

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #44 of 109
Quote:

No I would not say that. The are both great hp's that some would consider about equally matched. If I was forced to choice, and I recently was, I'd pick the hd650. Why? Comfort and fantastic mids. This is where is gravitated lately. The he400 will thump the hd650 on sub bass. The hd650 offers good mid bass but can not compete on the sub bass arena. 

gL!!

Both of us have been down this road. It comes down to preference and what music you enjoy. 650s=intimate/enjoyable 400=Detailed/fuller frequncy representation. 650's certainly need a good amp though.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #45 of 109
Quote:
I has some nice DAC chips in it but I think the pre amp is just ok. Could do with a better amp down the line to pair with it, but you should be ok for now. 

cheers

Yea thats what I thought. But from what I read the he-400s are easy to drive. So it also might be a better choice, so I dont have to get an amp too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back