Best headphones under 500 dollars
Oct 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 109
Yes, the Mad Dogs are a very popular modification of the famous Fostex T50RP. There's a huge modding community behind the T50RP, and a few small-production sellers like MrSpeakers, Smeggy, and now LFF have started marketing their most successful mods pre-built for you. The Mad Dog slipped my mind when recommending, but that'd actually be another great choice.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 109
Quote:

More comfortable than the clampy DT 880 (especially the pro version) and infinitely cooler looking than the HD600/650 (just an arbitrary bonus).

I had the DT880s (loved 'em, but moved on) and they are NOT clampy. At all. They are the most comfortable pair of headphones I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.

I have the HD600s and HE400s and I really like them both. The HD600s have a nice warm, inviting sound and have nice detail retrieval without being fatiguing. The HE400s have incredible bass extension and response, as well as insane detail retrieval. They turn music into something magical. You will need a fairly decent amp for any of these cans, though. I have a Schiit Lyr ($450) and it makes these headphones great, but by no means was it cheap. Some amps pair better with certain headphones than others.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #18 of 109
Quote:

I had the DT880s (loved 'em, but moved on) and they are NOT clampy. At all. They are the most comfortable pair of headphones I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.

I have the HD600s and HE400s and I really like them both. The HD600s have a nice warm, inviting sound and have nice detail retrieval without being fatiguing. The HE400s have incredible bass extension and response, as well as insane detail retrieval. They turn music into something magical. You will need a fairly decent amp for any of these cans, though. I have a Schiit Lyr ($450) and it makes these headphones great, but by no means was it cheap. Some amps pair better with certain headphones than others.

Agree with this, except the HE-400s can definitely be adequately powered by something like the E10 or E17. The sound's not envying my DAC1s much. The HD600s might need a little more juice, but the HE400s are pretty efficient. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 109
When I heard the he 400s I thought they were a huge upgrade over my k701s while. I also really don't understand the comparison to the grados. How would you say that the audio technica headphones in a similar price range compare? like some ath a1000s i guess.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 109
Quote:
When I heard the he 400s I thought they were a huge upgrade over my k701s while. I also really don't understand the comparison to the grados. How would you say that the audio technica headphones in a similar price range compare? like some ath a1000s i guess.

I don't like posting negative things about headphones, but I really think the 701s might be one of the more overrated headphones out there. There are things I like about them, but they don't do much for me at all with music. I love them for movies because of all the detail, but I almost wish I would have spent the money toward some HE400s instead. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 109
Quote:

Agree with this, except the HE-400s can definitely be adequately powered by something like the E10 or E17. The sound's not envying my DAC1s much. The HD600s might need a little more juice, but the HE400s are pretty efficient. 

Would my dacmagic plus be enough to drive the HE400?

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #25 of 109
I would (and did) pick the HD600 in this category. I've actually owned the K701, HD650, and two versions of the DT880 in the past.

The HD650 can be very thick and slow without VERY specific amplification. It is not easy to drive to maximum potential. It's far easier to get the HD600 there, and the HD600 sounds better with tubes to my ears because you can easily add the warm analog that the HD650 seems to artificially layer on.

The K701 is one of my least favorite headphones, period. It strikes me as thin and untextured, yet also distant. The band is also (or was, not sure about now) incredibly uncomfortable. Those little leather bumps just BURN into your skull after a while. 

The DT880 is an excellent headphone, but a bit cold. It is VERY treble focused, and does female voices pretty well, but they can sometimes lack soul. I'd certainly take it over the HD650 or any AKG, but I wouldn't pick it over the HD600. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #27 of 109
Though my ill-advised comparison to a Grado earlier may knock me down in advice standings (I didn't mean to say that the HE-400 has the Grado sound; I meant that there are quite a few similarities between them while they still sound quite different), I still think that, dollar-for-dollar, the HE400 would be your best bet.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #30 of 109
There is really no way to tell if certain headphones will be comfortable without trying them on.  
I find the Beyers to be comfy and snug and not too clampy.  However, I don't doubt the experience
of others who find them too tight.  On the K-701/K702, I don't feel the bumps on the headband
but I know they are a deal breaker for others.  I believe AKG actually changed the design on this
so it was a genuine problem for many.

Based on what I read, I don't think there any difference between the K-701 and K702
other than the removable cable on the K-702 and black versus white color.  However
I had my K-702s at a headphone meet and tried out someone else's K-701.  I liked the
midrange on the K-702 far better.  The K-701 just didn't sound good to me.  Is this
due to updated design?  Or actually is there substantial item to item
manufacturing variation?  Really have no idea.  The K-70x that I own is one of my favorite headphones
ever.  But the K-70x that I heard at the headphone meet.... I just really didn't like at all.
Confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back