Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find thread on this. plz help)
May 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #91 of 131
So what ones you liking best? I have the Ultrasound PRO900 on the way 
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #92 of 131
Quote:
The E11 is a portable amplifier. You use the 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male plugs with your iPod or mp3 player. One end on the iPod out, the other in the E11 in. The USB cable is for charging. They should both be included in the packaging.
Stretch out the Ultrasones by placing something slightly larger than head-sized in between.

Boewi and Danny have correctly identified the problem I was having with the amp.  I was charging it at the time.  Good call on the ultrasone stretching also.  I think I'll do that.
Quote:
Remember to burn in the ones your not using...it doe have a BIG effect on the sound...burn em over night too! 

BTW you cant use the Fiio E11 while its charging...if you keep the Beyers do the blue tak mod!

Thank you for the amp tip.  Also, what is this blue tac mod.  I with that the velour pads on the beyers could go on the ultrasones without sacrificing sound insulation or sound quality, but that's what I keep hearing.

May 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #93 of 131
Quote:
Boewi and Danny have correctly identified the problem I was having with the amp.  I was charging it at the time.  Good call on the ultrasone stretching also.  I think I'll do that.
Thank you for the amp tip.  Also, what is this blue tac mod.  I with that the velour pads on the beyers could go on the ultrasones without sacrificing sound insulation or sound quality, but that's what I keep hearing.

These are good headphones aswell

May 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #94 of 131
Quote:
So what ones you liking best? I have the Ultrasound PRO900 on the way 
biggrin.gif

Honestly, so far, I'm having a hard time deciding.  On sound alone, the ultrasones are winning.  I haven't had a chance to fully test all of their functions, including with their amp, but here's what I found so far.  (It's pretty much what everyone else has been saying)

the SONES!-  Not comfy.  Hug the head too hard.  Ear pads cause my ears to sweat a bit, pretty quickly.  They isolate sound better than the beyers though, although the beyers did a decent job at isolating sound as well.  They hit harder bass than the beyers, without an amp.  I'll have to test both pairs for highs and lows after using the amp.  I wish I knew how to EQ already, that way I could really test them both at their highest capability.  Both headphones drown out some of the highs, if the bass is powerful enough.  When there wasn't too much bass, the sones could produce some really crisp and emotional highs.  It was nice.  :frowning2:  The ultrasones do a better job at producing the highs though, regardless of how much bass they have.  There were a couple high notes, once in awhile, that hit a little hard/sharp.  Why doesn't google know what "simbilance" is? I keep hearing people talk about it, but wanted to know if these headphones had it.  Also, ask.com is ass.  Why is it the default search engine on Firefox? llololol

The BEYERS!-  Ok.  To be honest, they are comfortable, for headphones. Someone said "pillows" on the ears, and I was a bit disappointed.  They are definitely comfortable though, but to me, if really feels like nothing on your ears, which is fine with me.  No ear sweat.  Could wear for hours.  The bass is more clear than the sones.  For sure.  It doesn't hit as hard either.  I believe this is what people call the "punchiness" of the headphones.  I would give these a tired midget punch to the side of the head, while I'd give the sones a 15 year old angry teenager punch to the side of the head.  Honestly, I could still use more bass, but alas, I dont have a million dollars to spend on headhphones that can do that, and produce great highs also.  The "sub bass", I believe it is called, (the kind of bass that rumbles I think,) is actually not as much as I expected. I still think that the sones have more rumble in them, although the beyers are close, and most certainly produce a more clear sub bass.  It's quite pleasing.  I'll have to listen to them both more and gauge them better.  If anyone else has suggestions for what other things to listen for that I didn't list here, please let me know.  I'll also test them both out with the amp, and if anybody has any good guides on how to EQ there, please let me know. ( I have put the amp on for a minute and it makes the headphones BLAST!   :) )

PS.  I have given you guys (and girls) the stamp of approval to other people that I've talked to.  It's always nice to run into a community that is so willing to offer help, and happily so. Thanks.

May 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #95 of 131
Quote:
These are good headphones aswell

I have always heard good things about AKG, but they were not brought up very much when discussing trance and dubstep.  Thoughts?  Also, I really wish there was a music store in my town that had a really good selection of headphones to try out. Maybe there is, and I just dont know it.  What kind of places do I go to to try out headphones.  I already tried musicians friend, guitar center, and best buy.

May 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #96 of 131
Quote:
I have always heard good things about AKG, but they were not brought up very much when discussing trance and dubstep.  Thoughts?  Also, I really wish there was a music store in my town that had a really good selection of headphones to try out. Maybe there is, and I just dont know it.  What kind of places do I go to to try out headphones.  I already tried musicians friend, guitar center, and best buy.

I live in england and we just go to the local richer sounds and try the headphones in the shop, but if i wanted to try the best headphones they would order them in for me and if i didn't like them they would send them back with no questions asked..But i agree there are not many places that you can try headphones on and if they do it's only beats or bose! http://www.richersounds.com/

May 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #97 of 131
Quote:
I live in england and we just go to the local richer sounds and try the headphones in the shop, but if i wanted to try the best headphones they would order them in for me and if i didn't like them they would send them back with no questions asked..But i agree there are not many places that you can try headphones on and if they do it's only beats or bose! http://www.richersounds.com/

Well thats some service :)

May 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #98 of 131
Quote:
Well thats some service :)

I agree they always win best retailer in which magazine..If it's crap it'll have dust on it..If they sell something that isn't all that they will tell you it straight and say you don't want them.that's how good they are, even if you just want advice..they are like the shoe shine boy off police squad..

May 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #99 of 131
Well make a descision on which to keep and report back :) Many have your same question on UltraSone's or Beyer's :)

IMO for the specific genre's of dubstep, trance, EDM and other electronicy dance stuff. The Sone's win hands down. They also win on hard rock and sometimes classical and what not.

May 19, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #101 of 131
Dangit.  I thought I posted again.  I guess my computer did freeze up.  So, here's what I think so far.

Everything is pretty much as expected.

The ultrasones have more punch, but less clear bass.  They have more sub bass than I think people said they would.  The highs are pretty clear and have a "feel" to them.  For me, the highs arent just sounds, but they actually seem to have an emotion and make me feel a little ecstatic.  I like it.  There are some high notes, although not often, that hurt my ears just a bit.  The ultrasones also produce more volume than the beyers, out of any music player I've out them in so far (computer, phone, ipod).  Honestly, I could use a little more shaking bass than either the sones or the beyers had, even after using the kick ass fiioE11 amp.  It's pretty sweet.  I wish it wasn't $60, but that;s the way it is.  The sones are lacking in comfort, but not unbearable by any means.  They hug your head a bit hard, so much so that moving around might make the top move around, but not the earpads.  I heard that you can stretch them though.

The beyers- Hella comfy.  Actually, its like there's nothing there.  Someone said "its like pillows on your ear" but it's more like nothing is there at all.  I WANTED PILLOWS!  lol.  They seem to produce all around better sounds than the ulrtasones, but they dont have as much character to them.  I can't tell if they have more "rumble" to them than the sones, or just if the "rumble" ( I think its the sub bass) is more clear.  But boy are the beyers clear.  They also are sturdier than the sones, as they are built with some metal in them, and the behind the outside part of the ear pads is made of some really hard plastic.   If there's any other questions people want answered, please let me know.  Sorry for posting late, I thought I had already posted.  I will post again after the 100 hr burn in time.  PEACE!

May 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #102 of 131
Quote:
Dangit.  I thought I posted again.  I guess my computer did freeze up.  So, here's what I think so far.

Everything is pretty much as expected.

The ultrasones have more punch, but less clear bass.  They have more sub bass than I think people said they would.  The highs are pretty clear and have a "feel" to them.  For me, the highs arent just sounds, but they actually seem to have an emotion and make me feel a little ecstatic.  I like it.  There are some high notes, although not often, that hurt my ears just a bit.  The ultrasones also produce more volume than the beyers, out of any music player I've out them in so far (computer, phone, ipod).  Honestly, I could use a little more shaking bass than either the sones or the beyers had, even after using the kick ass fiioE11 amp.  It's pretty sweet.  I wish it wasn't $60, but that;s the way it is.  The sones are lacking in comfort, but not unbearable by any means.  They hug your head a bit hard, so much so that moving around might make the top move around, but not the earpads.  I heard that you can stretch them though.

The beyers- Hella comfy.  Actually, its like there's nothing there.  Someone said "its like pillows on your ear" but it's more like nothing is there at all.  I WANTED PILLOWS!  lol.  They seem to produce all around better sounds than the ulrtasones, but they dont have as much character to them.  I can't tell if they have more "rumble" to them than the sones, or just if the "rumble" ( I think its the sub bass) is more clear.  But boy are the beyers clear.  They also are sturdier than the sones, as they are built with some metal in them, and the behind the outside part of the ear pads is made of some really hard plastic.   If there's any other questions people want answered, please let me know.  Sorry for posting late, I thought I had already posted.  I will post again after the 100 hr burn in time.  PEACE!

Wait weren't you going to sell one?

I guess you want both. That's ok as well but remember for the price of keeping two. The glorious said EDM masters the Ultrasone Pro 900's become availble.

May 19, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #103 of 131
Yes I'm going to sell one.  Right now, my friend is burning in the sones.  I'm burning in the beyers.  We're going to check back in at the end of the month and see what each other wants.  If we both want the same one, maybe I'll get send back one, and get another.

May 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #104 of 131
Quote:
Yes I'm going to sell one.  Right now, my friend is burning in the sones.  I'm burning in the beyers.  We're going to check back in at the end of the month and see what each other wants.  If we both want the same one, maybe I'll get send back one, and get another.

Good idea :) Have you been using bass boost option on E11?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back