Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find thread on this. plz help)
May 3, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #61 of 131
Quote:

The highs are also bumped up with the DT770 Pro 80 which is lovely for trance...some people find them very spikey but i can assure they are not as bad as everyone says, even more so with having limited experience you will find them great...I actually love the highs! Yes the mids could do with being a little more upfront but, they are lovely and smooth...with a bump in the 1k-2k region they are brought out a little to...and sound great...with EDM this is hardly an issue and i doubt you would even feel the need for them to be more forward and detract form the bass and highs! 

On another note...if you like the idea of walking out an about with your cans maybe look into the ATH-WS55 (or the "i" version for use with iPhone) people prefer these to thier ATH-M50´s (more bass) and I have the earphone version of these the CKS77 and the bass is even bigger than the DT770 with no EQ and have more forward mids and smoother highs...but nothing beats the Beyers bass after a bump with the Digizoid ZO2, and soundstage is much wider which is lovely for allot of EDM music! If you go for DT770 only get the Pro version and the 80Ohm one, they are considered the best...also much better than a M50 my mate has! 

I would disagree about the WS55, though. Its bass is neither very punchy nor well detailed. It's not *that* bad for a somewhat bassy can, but if you can get something like the Denon DJ HP700 or Audio-Technica PRO500MK2 for just a bit more, I just don't think the WS55s are very worth it. I've auditioned it twice, and I don't think its bass presentation is even on par with the M50s. The punch isn't much greater, and in fact, I think the M50 hits harder (from memory). I'll be auditioning it again soon, when I go down to the store to (probably) pick up some PRO500MK2s.

However, I totally agree that the DT770 is an excellent, fun can for EDM. No arguments there. :)

Btw, speaking of the PRO500MK2, it is a good, hard hitting supra-aural headphone. It sounds pretty much like its bigger brother, the PRO700MK2, except in a smaller, more portable package. Has anyone else auditioned a set yet?

May 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #62 of 131
Quote:
Lot's of words

Wow. Thank you for the rather informative post.  I have a few things to say.  
-Have you compared beyer's to the hfi580's?  Thoughts?
-I know that the beyers have more sub bass, which I def want, but if sub bass something I can get with an amp on the 580's?  I've read that you can get the 580's to a xb500 level if amped and eq'ed properly.  
-Do you need an amp for the beyer's to do their job?  
-Are the DT880's better than the 770's for trance dub? Are the 990's better for trance/dub?

"On another note...if you like the idea of walking out an about with your cans"
-Can I not walk about with the beyers?

The ATH-WS55.  Why has no one brought this up?  I'm hesitant to think it has better bass without EQ and that it has smoother highs, considering its lack of popularity and also the price difference.

What does sonically obselete mean and why is bowei saying that?

I will look into modding later. Thank you for the post.

Quote:
I liked the beyers too and they were very comfortable but were sonically obsolete for edm

What does this mean?
Quote:
(referring to beyer770's)

IMO that is not true...great for EDM, its their best genre! 

IS DIS DA BEST CAN TO GET?  FOR GOOD BASS THAT I CAN FEEL BUT STILL HAS THAT ECSTATIC HIGHS FOR TRANCE?

Also, HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT MY COCKATOO!?
Quote:
i would cross out the esw9a, its too polite n mellow.
sell yur pet cockatoo n buy a pro900.
beerchug.gif

Crossed out.  Thank you.  What is your opinion for best phones with low bass clear bass that you can feel, and also has beautiful highs?
Quote:
so don't make the mistake I did and buy them as your first real Can other wise you'll be limited to only LOVING one genre of music, as I have many instrumentals I LOVE but with the XB series well there only enjoyable xD not great sadly

Thank you.
Quote:
Lots of other words
And thanks mshenay
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you also.  Gives me some things to think about.  
I have read that the 580's lack sub bass, which is the kind that you can feel.  I like that kind of bass.  
-If I get an amp for the 580's, will there be a sub bass boost?  I wish there was just a definitive headphone that had the boom for dub and the pop for trance.  I guess everyone has their own opinions though.  Maybe I'll just get the hfi580's and an amp, since  it sounds like I'd need an amp with the beyers anyway.  (get it.  Sounds?  and we're talking about headphones and amps . . . I'll leave now)
-When you said that the beyers had more bass quantity but less quality- were you referring in comparison to other beyers?  or the hfi580's?
Comfor is an issue for me too.  I might have to order those beyer velvet ear muffs.  They look super comfy.
Quote:

Electronic music is da bes.

I have not been using an amp.  Everyone is saying that the 580's have more bass anyway, so maybe I should go with that?  I wonder if I brought my headphones to a guitar store, if they would let me plug an amp into the 780's to see the difference.  

Thank you so much everyone for the input.  I believe that I am going to go a   music store tomorrow and try some things.  
Beyer770, (maybe the 880 and 990 is people say those are good for dub/trance),  hfi580, and I'll try an amp on the 780's.  No store so far has ultrasone or beyer tho :frowning2:.
Triple edit-  I tried out the vmoda's and they have more bass than the 780's, but the 780's are certainly more clear all around on the high and low end.

Quadruple edit- With an amp, can the 580's produce vibrating bass.  I know they can produce clear bass and clear highs.  There appear to be no qualms about that. But I have heard differing reviews on the dt770's, regarding whether they can hit the clear highs.  If I can get the job done with the 580's and an amp, that seems like the solid way to go.  Anyone know if the 580's can produce booming vibrating (I think it's called sub bass) with an amp?

May 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #63 of 131
Quote:
Wow. Thank you for the rather informative post.  I have a few things to say.  
-Have you compared beyer's to the hfi580's?  Thoughts?
-I know that the beyers have more sub bass, which I def want, but if sub bass something I can get with an amp on the 580's?  I've read that you can get the 580's to a xb500 level if amped and eq'ed properly.  
-Do you need an amp for the beyer's to do their job?  
-Are the DT880's better than the 770's for trance dub? Are the 990's better for trance/dub?

"On another note...if you like the idea of walking out an about with your cans"
-Can I not walk about with the beyers?

The ATH-WS55.  Why has no one brought this up?  I'm hesitant to think it has better bass without EQ and that it has smoother highs, considering its lack of popularity and also the price difference.

No havent ever heard the 580´s

You can increase sub bass levels slightly but nothing to the degree of mid bass with the Digizoid ZO2 which is why i love the DT770 and ZO2 synergy, also with my experimenting of sub bass with E11, it only added volume and nothing else...so my point is, the DT770 sub bass has texture and depth and the E11 or any other budget amp wont help with this, cant say id the 580´s sub bass has good texture or not as i have never heard but from what i read its not that great...unlike the DT770! 

If your a basshead and are looking for an amp go for the Digizoid ZO2...period! Go have a look at the Zo thread by RPGWizzard and you will see just how many ex E11 owners are there! Oh and RPG swears by his M-Audio Q40´s so you may wanna consider those...he found the DT770´s highs to prominent by i love em for trance especially, well after a small reduction in the 8K region to reduce sibilance! 

As for "Can I not walk about with the beyers?"  Yes of course you can...but you will look stupid...those cans are huge, some people dont mind that though so props to them! That is why I suggested the WS55...if its your only headphone them you may want to be able to take them out with you etc, and apparently they are very similar to my CKS77 IEM´s which are amazing!! (if you dont mind earphones go for them with a ZO2 amp!) just the WS55 are not quite as good, still better than the M50 according to a few people like in this review...
I respect this guys opinion allot and he is a basshead like yourself too...PM him hes a great guy! http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass

You will need to amp if your thinking of just running them from an iPod or whatever...but a small portable amp should be fine, I found the E11 and ZO2 to suffice and yes i did notice an improvement from the Fiio E9 but it was so little a difference that I sold it! The warmth and musicality the ZO2 brings to the table was much to my liking! 

If your using a soundcard, a small amp will help but if the soundcards of decent quality (i use Titanium HD) it should be fine! 

The comfort alone is a reason to own the Beyers...teh 580´s are uncomfy apparently, whereas the DT770´s literally float on your head after you stretch the headband a little, and you can use em for hours upon end without issue! 

I would say buy used or from a shop that accepts returns that way you wont loose money if you dont like them

"IS DIS DA BEST CAN TO GET?  FOR GOOD BASS THAT I CAN FEEL BUT STILL HAS THAT ECSTATIC HIGHS FOR TRANCE?" 
There is no definitive answer to this question...people can just give their opinions and mine is that I feel you will love the Beyers for what your after...heck thats what i was after a few years back and after hours upon hours of research that is what I got...and Im glad I did! 

Also Im looking into some JMoney leather pads for the beyers which also improve the bass and tame the highs...cant conferm this but its what allot of people are saying, still have great comfort! 

Oh and with cans you cant just swap pads out to make them more comfortable...the 580´s from what i read have a monsterous clamping force which no pads will change

The DT770 80 ohm has the most bass over all other versions and dt770 has more bass than DT880 and DT990

If you can stretch your budget to a used Denon D2000 then that may be a good option i am led to believe! 

Good luck...I think you will be happy with either the DT770Pro 80 or 580 tbh 

May 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #64 of 131
Audio technica pro700mkii's and ultrasone hfi 580's sound like pretty much what you're looking for, creative aurvana's might be a good match for trance but from what i've read might not have enough for those massive dubstep drops, i know its out of your budget but ultrasone pro 900's from what i've read is exactly what you're looking for but since it isnt in your budget, i personally recommend the ath pro700mkii's

May 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #65 of 131
Quote:
Audio technica pro700mkii's and ultrasone hfi 580's sound like pretty much what you're looking for, creative aurvana's might be a good match for trance but from what i've read might not have enough for those massive dubstep drops, i know its out of your budget but ultrasone pro 900's from what i've read is exactly what you're looking for but since it isnt in your budget, i personally recommend the ath pro700mkii's

post #316 i would avoid those tbh...not that I have heard em but i do have the CKS77 which people prefer and its less than half the price...and its an IEM!!

May 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #67 of 131
Quote:
Quadruple edit- With an amp, can the 580's produce vibrating bass.  I know they can produce clear bass and clear highs.  There appear to be no qualms about that. But I have heard differing reviews on the dt770's, regarding whether they can hit the clear highs.  If I can get the job done with the 580's and an amp, that seems like the solid way to go.  Anyone know if the 580's can produce booming vibrating (I think it's called sub bass) with an amp?

Yes. The 580s will be very punchy, even boomy with an amp. Pair it with an E11 on bass level 2 and you will get it to shake your skull. If you want an even more extreme basshead experience, use the 580s with a ZO2. Delightful. :)

May 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #68 of 131
Quote:

No havent ever heard the 580´s

You can increase sub bass levels slightly but nothing to the degree of mid bass with the Digizoid ZO2 which is why i love the DT770 and ZO2 synergy, also with my experimenting of sub bass with E11, it only added volume and nothing else...so my point is, the DT770 sub bass has texture and depth and the E11 or any other budget amp wont help with this, cant say id the 580´s sub bass has good texture or not as i have never heard but from what i read its not that great...unlike the DT770! 

If your a basshead and are looking for an amp go for the Digizoid ZO2...period! Go have a look at the Zo thread by RPGWizzard and you will see just how many ex E11 owners are there! Oh and RPG swears by his M-Audio Q40´s so you may wanna consider those...he found the DT770´s highs to prominent by i love em for trance especially, well after a small reduction in the 8K region to reduce sibilance! 

As for "Can I not walk about with the beyers?"  Yes of course you can...but you will look stupid...those cans are huge, some people dont mind that though so props to them! That is why I suggested the WS55...if its your only headphone them you may want to be able to take them out with you etc, and apparently they are very similar to my CKS77 IEM´s which are amazing!! (if you dont mind earphones go for them with a ZO2 amp!) just the WS55 are not quite as good, still better than the M50 according to a few people like in this review...
I respect this guys opinion allot and he is a basshead like yourself too...PM him hes a great guy! http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass

You will need to amp if your thinking of just running them from an iPod or whatever...but a small portable amp should be fine, I found the E11 and ZO2 to suffice and yes i did notice an improvement from the Fiio E9 but it was so little a difference that I sold it! The warmth and musicality the ZO2 brings to the table was much to my liking! 

If your using a soundcard, a small amp will help but if the soundcards of decent quality (i use Titanium HD) it should be fine! 

The comfort alone is a reason to own the Beyers...teh 580´s are uncomfy apparently, whereas the DT770´s literally float on your head after you stretch the headband a little, and you can use em for hours upon end without issue! 

I would say buy used or from a shop that accepts returns that way you wont loose money if you dont like them

"IS DIS DA BEST CAN TO GET?  FOR GOOD BASS THAT I CAN FEEL BUT STILL HAS THAT ECSTATIC HIGHS FOR TRANCE?" 
There is no definitive answer to this question...people can just give their opinions and mine is that I feel you will love the Beyers for what your after...heck thats what i was after a few years back and after hours upon hours of research that is what I got...and Im glad I did! 

Also Im looking into some JMoney leather pads for the beyers which also improve the bass and tame the highs...cant conferm this but its what allot of people are saying, still have great comfort! 

Oh and with cans you cant just swap pads out to make them more comfortable...the 580´s from what i read have a monsterous clamping force which no pads will change

The DT770 80 ohm has the most bass over all other versions and dt770 has more bass than DT880 and DT990

If you can stretch your budget to a used Denon D2000 then that may be a good option i am led to believe! 

Good luck...I think you will be happy with either the DT770Pro 80 or 580 tbh 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594082/digizoid-zo2-pro-900-distortion-vs-fiio-e5-e11-video

Amps work well with different headphones. IT will seem like there are a lot of E11 transferee's but you must note that going onto a specific thread on it will give you specific results. Going on an E11 thread will have many fawning over it, going onto an ZO2 one will have that..

Read the thread, many HFI 580 users have had trouble with the ZO2 introducing too much distortion, it doesn't seem to do this with all headphones. So just yelling out ZO2 wouldn't be right as my time on Head-Fi has shown that it has problems with some headphones and it's sound isn't what the neutral heads want from that thread up above. Give it a good read. 20 minute read.

Pairing an HFI 580 with an FiiO amp would be best. FiiO's work very well with Ultrasone and Beyer from my experience and reading. I've only had experience with HFI 580 and DT770/80 but threads on them have accepted the fact that FiiO's work well. I have the E17 and that works tremendously well with the HFI 580's, the E11's should as well as the two are similar. What you really need added with the HFI 580's is the bass, by itself it's just not enough for bass heads..it's more of a studio bass head....hey, we aren't making music and want that quantity of bass..so I say,.....amp it up.

May 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #69 of 131
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594082/digizoid-zo2-pro-900-distortion-vs-fiio-e5-e11-video

Amps work well with different headphones. IT will seem like there are a lot of E11 transferee's but you must note that going onto a specific thread on it will give you specific results. Going on an E11 thread will have many fawning over it, going onto an ZO2 one will have that..

Read the thread, many HFI 580 users have had trouble with the ZO2 introducing too much distortion, it doesn't seem to do this with all headphones. So just yelling out ZO2 wouldn't be right as my time on Head-Fi has shown that it has problems with some headphones and it's sound isn't what the neutral heads want from that thread up above. Give it a good read. 20 minute read.

Pairing an HFI 580 with an FiiO amp would be best. FiiO's work very well with Ultrasone and Beyer from my experience and reading. I've only had experience with HFI 580 and DT770/80 but threads on them have accepted the fact that FiiO's work well. I have the E17 and that works tremendously well with the HFI 580's, the E11's should as well as the two are similar. What you really need added with the HFI 580's is the bass, by itself it's just not enough for bass heads..it's more of a studio bass head....hey, we aren't making music and want that quantity of bass..so I say,.....amp it up.

Me and dubbed share the same opinion...http://www.head-fi.org/t/597397/comparison-review-of-3-portable-amplifiers-fiio-e11-soundmagic-a10-digizoid-zo2 I dont have the 580´s as I say but with everything I have tried it with there was no distortion with the ZO2 and i prefered it to the E11 by quite a bit...

Anyway you have both cans in question so I´ll leave this thread now...just dont think the DT770´s are as bad as your making them out to be...there are great fun sounding cans for EDM that also amazing for movies which i think the OP will love for his requirements...also great modding opportunities! 

I will keep tabs on this thread though as Im interested to see if the 580´s are THAT much better as I may have to get them to try out... 

Any chance of a detailed comparrison between the two?

Cheers mate 

May 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #70 of 131
Quote:
Me and dubbed share the same opinion...http://www.head-fi.org/t/597397/comparison-review-of-3-portable-amplifiers-fiio-e11-soundmagic-a10-digizoid-zo2 I dont have the 580´s as I say but with everything I have tried it with there was no distortion with the ZO2 and i prefered it to the E11 by quite a bit...

Anyway you have both cans in question so I´ll leave this thread now...just dont think the DT770´s are as bad as your making them out to be...there are great fun sounding cans for EDM that also amazing for movies which i think the OP will love for his requirements...also great modding opportunities! 

I will keep tabs on this thread though as Im interested to see if the 580´s are THAT much better as I may have to get them to try out... 

Any chance of a detailed comparrison between the two?

Cheers mate 

Sorry, I don't have both. I demo'd the DT770/80 with my Ultrasone's with specific music tests, bass tests, high frequency and many other tests and all that. I liked them but for EDM, the HFI 580's were superior. For other stuff like rock, alternative, and pop, the Beyer's edged it out by a bit..not because they were sonically better, but because of the sound signature. The HFI 580's were more analytical than the Beyer's and showed you more and better highs, and lows but the mellow signature of the Beyers and the comfort :3 made it good for regular rock, alternative and other stuff. Enjoyment is what also matters. So as you can see I did subjective and objective tests. Objectively the HFI 580 is better, subjectively the HFI 580's are good for many if not all things especially EDM, but the passive mellow DT770/80's edges out the HFI 580's and beats it in regular genres. So with that said you could say the superior Ultrasone's are more restriced as they aren't good in a as wide range as the Beyer's and also aren't nearly as comfortable and not as much bass quanitiy but the Ultrasones are easier to drive, have tighter and better bass, better highs, more agressive vocals(con for some) and engage you.

I have conversations with and know Dubbed as well :)

May 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #71 of 131
Quote:
Sorry, I don't have both. I demo'd the DT770/80 with my Ultrasone's with specific music tests, bass tests, high frequency and many other tests and all that. I liked them but for EDM, the HFI 580's were superior. For other stuff like rock, alternative, and pop, the Beyer's edged it out by a bit..not because they were sonically better, but because of the sound signature. The HFI 580's were more analytical than the Beyer's and showed you more and better highs, and lows but the mellow signature of the Beyers and the comfort :3 made it good for regular rock, alternative and other stuff. Enjoyment is what also matters. So as you can see I did subjective and objective tests. Objectively the HFI 580 is better, subjectively the HFI 580's are good for many if not all things especially EDM, but the passive mellow DT770/80's edges out the HFI 580's and beats it in regular genres. So with that said you could say the superior Ultrasone's are more restriced as they aren't good in a as wide range as the Beyer's and also aren't nearly as comfortable and not as much bass quanitiy but the Ultrasones are easier to drive, have tighter and better bass, better highs, more agressive vocals(con for some) and engage you.

I have conversations with and know Dubbed as well :)

I do listen to allot of laid back EDM...like blackmill etc so may explian why i get on so well with my DT770´s just so fun...dont really like the analytical sound sig tbh 

Deffinatly wont be getiting the 580´s then...I dont feel i could handle more highs the DT770´s are bright enough as it is for me 
biggrin.gif

And so the modding begins...

May 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #72 of 131
Quote:

I don't have much distortion on my 580 + ZO2 combo. In fact, for most of my tracks, I leave the ZO2 on an orange contour level with no EQ on my Cowon Z2. Tunes sound crisp with a (really) solid bass punch.

May 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #73 of 131
Quote:

I don't have much distortion on my 580 + ZO2 combo. In fact, for most of my tracks, I leave the ZO2 on an orange contour level with no EQ on my Cowon Z2. Tunes sound crisp with a (really) solid bass punch.

Different genre's, tastes and all that lead to different results 
redface.gif
. I'm sure if I remember correctly what was meant was that pure boom bass on high ZO2 punch added distortion. It was a while ago, but many members disliked it. That's all I will say as I am not putting the device down and anymore will seem like it. I do not have it, so that will be the last from me on the ZO2.

Glad to see you are enjoying your combo though.

May 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #74 of 131
ok y'all.  First of all, you are super awesome and thank you for all the input.  In my 6 hour study of nice headphones for trance and dubstep, I have seen mostly hfi580's, beyer 770's, and sometimes denons.  (ATHm50's, Some Senn's, and others have honorable mention.)  Here is what I gather. 

HFI's are awesome.  The lack boomy bass though, which can be remedied with the fiio11's that I just bought.
Beyer770's are great, have more bass, but I have heard differing reviews on whether they have pleasing highs. 
Denone's I haven't paid as much attention to from lack of recommendations and differing reviews.  I'm not sure they even belong on this list.

So.  Here is what I'm doing for now.  I've ordered a FiioE11.  I've ordered a pair of HFI 580's.  I've ordered a pair of the Dt770's.  I've ordered a helping of being super stoked.  :)  My friend an I are going to try both pairs, and decide which pair each of us want.  I'll respond to the rest of what you guys wrote later.  I'm on a terrible computer.  I'll also try and give some sort of review later using only wine terms.  (That's what the headphone world reminds me of, in terms of describing headphones, lol)  I'll wait for the burn in too.  Thanks again, and peace.

May 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #75 of 131
Quote:
ok y'all.  First of all, you are super awesome and thank you for all the input.  In my 6 hour study of nice headphones for trance and dubstep, I have seen mostly hfi580's, beyer 770's, and sometimes denons.  (ATHm50's, Some Senn's, and others have honorable mention.)  Here is what I gather. 

HFI's are awesome.  The lack boomy bass though, which can be remedied with the fiio11's that I just bought.
Beyer770's are great, have more bass, but I have heard differing reviews on whether they have pleasing highs. 
Denone's I haven't paid as much attention to from lack of recommendations and differing reviews.  I'm not sure they even belong on this list.

So.  Here is what I'm doing for now.  I've ordered a FiioE11.  I've ordered a pair of HFI 580's.  I've ordered a pair of the Dt770's.  I've ordered a helping of being super stoked.  :)  My friend an I are going to try both pairs, and decide which pair each of us want.  I'll respond to the rest of what you guys wrote later.  I'm on a terrible computer.  I'll also try and give some sort of review later using only wine terms.  (That's what the headphone world reminds me of, in terms of describing headphones, lol)  I'll wait for the burn in too.  Thanks again, and peace.

Look forward to hearing what ya think!

The DT770 from what I can remember had a ridiculously long burn in time...100hrs before they sound thier best...also try looking for that blue tac mod if you decided to keep em...tightens up the bass quite a bit...I just did it but havent had allot of time to compare, quite a bit of difference, it doesnt reduce the bass just improves it from first impressions...so highly recccomend you do that (if you decide to keep them of course LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back