Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find thread on this. plz help)
May 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #32 of 131
Quote:
Ultrasone hfi 780's came.  They're pretty good.  Not as much bass as I would have liked, but maybe I'll build a portable amp and see what happens.

Nice! Please do post your impressions after giving them a fair run. I'm sure the bass will tighten up after a while. :)

Btw, what's the cable length on your 780s?

May 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #33 of 131
Quote:
Ultrasone hfi 780's came.  They're pretty good.  Not as much bass as I would have liked, but maybe I'll build a portable amp and see what happens.

I'm sorry to hear that, I've heard nice things about the HFI 580 being a good bass can that can be "to muddy with high power" wonder how the 780 compares to that claim?

The Xb700 has nice highs but very POOR mids >.> and they are a Sub Bass can so Mid Bass isn't great.

May 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #34 of 131
Quote:

Nice! Please do post your impressions after giving them a fair run. I'm sure the bass will tighten up after a while. :)

Btw, what's the cable length on your 780s?

Yo.  I like them. They are good.  They are really clear on the high end.  I think that some other people were right when they commented that the 780's are a little sharp(?) on the high end, until you burn them in.  I haven't burnt them in yet, but when the high notes come hitting, my ears can be hurt a little.  The bass is really clear, but no so powerful.  I'm a bit disappointed as many people said these had a deep powerful bass.  

The bass is certainly is clear and I think that other people have commented on its retraction (?).  I forgot the real word, but I think that people were saying that the bass hit when it was supposed to hit, and then left as quickly as it should without dragging on.  I believe that the 780's do that well.

The other headphones that I have to compare these to are (forgive me) Dre Beats.  They had some rumbling bass.  I loved that.  I have been told that the reason that the Beats use batteries is because they have a built in amp so I will build a portable amp and see how that drives the 780's.  Maybe that's my only problem.  Anyways, they are good headphones.  Not up to par with what I was expecting for $250 headphones, but I'm hoping that this is simply an amp problem.  Also, I haven't listened to the beats in like 8 months, so maybe I'm mistaking the beats to be better than I remember.  I will find out.  The cable length is 1 meter.  Thanks for all your help Malevolent.
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that, I've heard nice things about the HFI 580 being a good bass can that can be "to muddy with high power" wonder how the 780 compares to that claim?

The Xb700 has nice highs but very POOR mids >.> and they are a Sub Bass can so Mid Bass isn't great.

I'm not sure how to compare that claim, as I've never heard the 580's.  The 580's have a 50 MM neodymium driver whereas the 780's only have a 40 MM driver.  I'll have to try the xb700's next time I'm at a store that I can do that.

May 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #35 of 131
Ultrasone HFI 580. Period, affordable, easy to drive and good for all that you want. 

It has great highs already but if you want clearer highs, then a slight EQ may be needed for perfection(to a level). 

Keep in mind that Skrillex plays poorly on any system I have heard. His bass...just sucks.. The way he does it. I've tried it on consumer speakers with a 120W RMS subwoofer on high power...no dice, XB500(omg) with a huge bass EQ, and some others and it's laughable. His bass just isn't punchy and doesn't sound good period on his actual dubstep songs. His others with more beats and vocals are fine though. So if you listen to Skrillex, it ain't the headhone's fault. Otherwise with real bassy dubstep, the HFI 580's are it!

May 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #36 of 131
Quote:
Ultrasone HFI 580. Period, affordable, easy to drive and good for all that you want. 

It has great highs already but if you want clearer highs, then a slight EQ may be needed for perfection(to a level). 

Keep in mind that Skrillex plays poorly on any system I have heard. His bass...just sucks.. The way he does it. I've tried it on consumer speakers with a 120W RMS subwoofer on high power...no dice, XB500(omg) with a huge bass EQ, and some others and it's laughable. His bass just isn't punchy and doesn't sound good period on his actual dubstep songs. His others with more beats and vocals are fine though. So if you listen to Skrillex, it ain't the headhone's fault. Otherwise with real bassy dubstep, the HFI 580's are it!

Where am I going to find good information on how to EQ?  If I am listening on a laptop, can I eq?  ipod?  I listen to some skrillex, but plenty of other dub as well.  I can't go back on the 780's either. I'll have to try the 580's in the future.

May 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #37 of 131
Those beats have batteries because they are active noise canceling. They actually create sound waves to counteract ambient sound. It's different from passive isolation, like most headphones, which just try to seal out outside noise. The active noise cancelation does change the sound of the music a bit, so many prefer passive isolation. Not to mention most active cancelation headphones do not work without the batteries, even if you don't want the cancelation at the time.

Also, if you find your current headphones a little harsh, or bright, you should look into a tube amp, or tube hybrid. These can take the edge off, and you can alter the sound slightly by using different tubes. You can get a Little Dot I+ for less that $150, I believe, and it would do a lot to dampen the harshness, and maybe improve the low end slightly.

May 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #38 of 131
Quote:
Where am I going to find good information on how to EQ?  If I am listening on a laptop, can I eq?  ipod?  I listen to some skrillex, but plenty of other dub as well.  I can't go back on the 780's either. I'll have to try the 580's in the future.

HFI 580's from what I've been told by everyone is the bassier model. I can actually make it sound close to what I believe the HFI 780 to sound through EQ on my E17.

The E11 is known to pair well with the HFI 580 and I have the e17 so I can attest to some of that. FiiO E11 also has a bass boost that might be able to help you with your bass problem.

EQ's are availble as programs. iTunes has a built in one where you can make profiles to specific songs on your iPod but you can't change the EQ on your iPod directly. There are many threads on Head-Fi to teach you how to EQ but if you just want bass then a simple bass boost EQ like that of the E11's would do.

because they have a built in amp so I will build a portable amp and see how that drives the 780's.

ಠ_ಠ

They have batteries for active sound cancelation.

Amps are recommended for in depth use with these headphones and if you want to get more out of it.

The XB series are good at rumbling bass but horrid at sound in general. Modding gives them normal sound but you won't find the quality that audiophile headhones give for actual listening purposes.

If you have the money I would say maybe go try an E11(from Amazon so you can return in case), but remember you might get a restocking fee so read up on the e11 and others first.

The bass on the HFI 580's with no EQ is less than the Studio's..but much better in actual quality. Wtih an EQ and you can more of the bass.

Oh and unless you have had time to build or learn or know what to do, then you ...might not wnat to if you just have limited funds. It is a learning experience but most newbies mess up a few times and end up costing them...

Ultrasone's have a 150 hr approx burn in time. In my opinion that burn in time includes actual driver burn in, and user's changing impression of the headphone(how to listen to it) or get used to it.

May 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #39 of 131
Quote:
Those beats have batteries because they are active noise canceling. They actually create sound waves to counteract ambient sound. It's different from passive isolation, like most headphones, which just try to seal out outside noise. The active noise cancelation does change the sound of the music a bit, so many prefer passive isolation. Not to mention most active cancelation headphones do not work without the batteries, even if you don't want the cancelation at the time.
Also, if you find your current headphones a little harsh, or bright, you should look into a tube amp, or tube hybrid. These can take the edge off, and you can alter the sound slightly by using different tubes. You can get a Little Dot I+ for less that $150, I believe, and it would do a lot to dampen the harshness, and maybe improve the low end slightly.

I see.  Thank you.  I think I'll do alright without the tubes.  $150 is quite a bit of money just to get the high end to not sound so harsh.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
Quote:
HFI 580's from what I've been told by everyone is the bassier model. I can actually make it sound close to what I believe the HFI 780 to sound through EQ on my E17.

The E11 is known to pair well with the HFI 580 and I have the e17 so I can attest to some of that. FiiO E11 also has a bass boost that might be able to help you with your bass problem.

EQ's are availble as programs. iTunes has a built in one where you can make profiles to specific songs on your iPod but you can't change the EQ on your iPod directly. There are many threads on Head-Fi to teach you how to EQ but if you just want bass then a simple bass boost EQ like that of the E11's would do.

ಠ_ಠ

They have batteries for active sound cancelation.

Amps are recommended for in depth use with these headphones and if you want to get more out of it.

The XB series are good at rumbling bass but horrid at sound in general. Modding gives them normal sound but you won't find the quality that audiophile headhones give for actual listening purposes.

If you have the money I would say maybe go try an E11(from Amazon so you can return in case), but remember you might get a restocking fee so read up on the e11 and others first.

The bass on the HFI 580's with no EQ is less than the Studio's..but much better in actual quality. Wtih an EQ and you can more of the bass.

Oh and unless you have had time to build or learn or know what to do, then you ...might not wnat to if you just have limited funds. It is a learning experience but most newbies mess up a few times and end up costing them...

Ultrasone's have a 150 hr approx burn in time. In my opinion that burn in time includes actual driver burn in, and user's changing impression of the headphone(how to listen to it) or get used to it.

Yes i have been told that the 580's are the bassier model as well.  I was told it was because of the 10mm of driver.  The Fiio11 has a bass boost huh?  Hmm.  My plan was to build an amp, so I didn't have to spend more money.  The FiioE11 is about $60.  You know what was weird?  When I turned the Bass Boost on with my desktop, the bass got muddier and even less weaker. . . .???  I don't understand.  I hope its not the same with a portable amp.  I wonder if I can find directions on how to build in a bass boost to a portable amp, since there are plenty of DIY directions for building portable amps.  

Thank you for the info on EQ's.  I'll look for proper threads to do that.

Lolol.  I didn't say that the beats had batteries for the amp.  I said I was told that.  How do you do reddit disappointment eyes on here?  ಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠ  besides copy paste.I have some experience in electronics and have a friend that just built an amp.  I think I would do alright.  I do have limited funds, but I am also somewhat disappointed and fiending for some bass.  I'm not going to get another pair of phones, since I got these off ebay and can't return them. Maybe I'll just resell them.  Maybe I'll try the amp out first.  That's probably a better idea.  Thank you for the input on the burn in time as well.   You have been quite helpful.

May 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #41 of 131
damniiiiiiiiiiiit.  More money.  Maybe I'll just order the fio11's and see if that does the trick.  If it doesn't, maybe I'll ebay the 780's.  I NEED DAT BASS.  I should have went with those beyerdynamics 770's, the Audio Technica ATHESW9A, or the sennheiser 598's, or maybe even the ultrasone 580's..  Seriously, those ear pads on the beyers look uber comfortable.  Same with the sennheiser 598's.  mmmm velvet.

May 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #42 of 131
Meh, go with the Fiio E6 for <$30. I don't think your cans need the power the E11 has, and the E6 has different EQ options. The E11 has two very decent, non-bleed sub bass bumps. The E6 can actually add warmth by boosting sub and mid bass, or play flat with no EQ, so works with different cans. Should give you the bass boost you want. I have both of them, and they are both good amps, but the E6 gets me what I need for my low impedance cans. I break out the E11 or Meier 2Stepdance for my 150+ ohm cans.

May 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #43 of 131
Quote:
Meh, go with the Fiio E6 for <$30. I don't think your cans need the power the E11 has, and the E6 has different EQ options. The E11 has two very decent, non-bleed sub bass bumps. The E6 can actually add warmth by boosting sub and mid bass, or play flat with no EQ, so works with different cans. Should give you the bass boost you want. I have both of them, and they are both good amps, but the E6 gets me what I need for my low impedance cans. I break out the E11 or Meier 2Stepdance for my 150+ ohm cans.

Frank you are the dank.  Thank you.  I'll try that.

May 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #44 of 131
Quote:

Noob question.  If I get this amp -  http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Micca-Cable/dp/B005JT8OT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336015449&sr=8-3  -  do I need to get a plug in cable?  or is the cable that comes with this sufficient?

May 3, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #45 of 131
I have E5 and E17 and IMO the bass boost on E5 is nowhere near enough. Last i checked the bass boost on E6 wasnt that much better. For reall bass boost an E11 or the similar E17 imo would do better as even the E5s is barely enough.

I havent read the beginning of this thread im just wondering who said 780.
Dt770 are comfortable but not good(compared to 580) at highs, lows, and edm like HFI580 so you give up sound for comfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back