Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find thread on this. plz help)
Apr 25, 2012 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 131

Theocrooks

New Head-Fier
Hey people.  I've just been introduced to REALLY hearing music for the first time.  Sadly, it was Dre beats, but at least it got me in the door.  So I've done a lot of researching to see what can handle the high highs for trance, yet still give the vibrating bass for dubstep.  I'm mostly only finding info on best dubstep phones or best trance (jazz,highstuff) phones, without a lot of overlap in categories.  Is there anyone with some experience in this field that listens to both these types.  I've narrowed it down to a few so far.   

V-Moda-M80 (who also have a 2 year warrantee, then lifetime warranty after that giving you half off your next pair)
V-Moda Crossfade lp2

[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD448 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone[/size]

[size=1.7em] Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Earphones (Black)[/size]

[size=1.7em]Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones[/size]

Any help is appreciated.  I already spent multiple hours doing the research just to get this far.  It seems that there are a lot of opinions in the audiophile world and also probably just different ways of hearing/describing music that make it difficult to understand each other.  Anyways, I'd like to hear some opinions.  Have a good day and thanks.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 131
some ultrasone would be good for ya

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 131
Hmm.  I didn't hear much about ultrasone, barring this guys review[size=x-small] of all his ultrasones - [/size]http://portal.fakeheadphones.com/index.php?topic=509.msg1725#msg1725

Also, a few of the ones he recommended were kind cheap.  I know it's stupid to assume that expensive = good, but that's kinda how I'm feelin.  If I'm gonna invest in a pair of headphones that I plan on having for years, I want them to be really good. What do you know about ultrasones being able to get the high highs and the low lows?  PS thanks for the response.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 131
yeah. the ultrasones are some of the best for electronic music.

their sound signature is having nice strong bass and good highs, their mids can be slightly recessed at times, but its not too bad.
their bass is very good and while strong, doesn't bleed into the higher frequencies.

they are best for techno, house, dubstep, trance,electro and are also really good for other bass heavy music like rap and hiphop.

their build quality is pretty good too.

their downside is that for other types of music, they might be a little "off sounding'. but for anyone whos a bass head or primarily listens to electronic, their the ones to get.

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 131
Love my DJ1 with trance...
Bass impact is extraordinaire...
Recommended for EDM...

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 131
The V-moda Crossfade Lp-2 is a bass head-can so is DT770. You would want to stay away from the AD700.
You could try the philips fidelio L1 which reportedly has amazing bass, the treble is very rolled of though.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 131
For your price range, I'd recommend the Ultrasone HFI 580. It's very good for EDM, with equally prominent bass and treble presentation. It's a real fun can.

Check it out - http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/hfi-580.html

Like MattTCG mentioned however, if you can stretch your budget, you can also consider the Denon D2000. It's a really nice can for dance music too.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

their downside is that for other types of music, they might be a little "off sounding'. but for anyone whos a bass head or primarily listens to electronic, their the ones to get.

Ok.  So I ordered the v-moda crossfades, the audio technica ATHESW9A, and pair of technica M50's only to then read your post last night dubstep girl.  I went on ebay, fuond an authorized dealer that allowed an immediate "make best offer", and got a pair of Ultrasone HFI 750's for $180!  I cancelled all other orders (the reason for ordering 3 was to try them out, get my favorite, and send the others back anyway).  So thanks for the help!  I do primarily listen to dubstep and techno anyway.  :)

EDIT- I just realized that I didn't ask you what pair you would get.  I bid on the HFI 750's, which only have 40 mm drivers, while the 550's have 50 mm drivers.  Thoughts?
Quote:
d2k while you can still get them!!

d2k gives me strange search results when i look it up.  what is it?
Quote:
For your price range, I'd recommend the Ultrasone HFI 580. It's very good for EDM, with equally prominent bass and treble presentation. It's a real fun can.

Check it out - http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/hfi-580.html

Like MattTCG mentioned however, if you can stretch your budget, you can also consider the Denon D2000. It's a really nice can for dance music too.

Thank you my kind malevolent.  :)   I ended up bidding on a pair of 780's and got them for $180!  :)))))))))))
EDIT- Just realized that the 550's have 50 mm drivers while the 780's have 40.  Seems like I'll need an amp either way, but which pair would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back