Best headphones for me?
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

OmarSy

Head-Fier
Well I'm sorry for starting another recommendation thread well I was just wondering what the best pair of headphones would be for me.
I am an avid classical music listener I also like the bass to be present.
I don't have a budget set in stone but I just purchased the monster Ntunes on clearance for a very low price and they aren't bad :p but I was looking for something that's a bit more aimed at my music taste.
I was thinking the sr125i's but I just wanted to get you're opinions as I'm sure you are all probably a bit more informed then I ^.^
Anyways all suggestions will be appreciated greatly!
Thanks in advance.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 13
No I'm new to the headfi community I was thinking of buying an amp but I'm not educated enough to make a purchase yet.
but I plan to in the future I just want to take things step by step.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
What is your price range? And im assuming you dont have an amp or dac?

No I'm new to the headfi community I was thinking of buying an amp but I'm not educated enough to make a purchase yet.
but I plan to in the future I just want to take things step by step.
I also don't really have a set in stone range but I don't want to pay more than $350 give or take some (I hope I can get something good for that).

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Well I'm sorry for starting another recommendation thread well I was just wondering what the best pair of headphones would be for me.
I am an avid classical music listener I also like the bass to be present.
I don't have a budget set in stone but I just purchased the monster Ntunes on clearance for a very low price and they aren't bad :p but I was looking for something that's a bit more aimed at my music taste.
I was thinking the sr125i's but I just wanted to get you're opinions as I'm sure you are all probably a bit more informed then I ^.^
Anyways all suggestions will be appreciated greatly!
Thanks in advance.

Heya,

Take a look at:

Sennheiser HD600
AudioTechnica A900X & AD900
Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Denon D2000
Sony MA900
AKG Q701

If using from a PC/Mac, consider a simple Fiio E10 USB DAC/AMP. Otherwise, the above can be run from any basic sound card (or you can use something simple like a Xonar DG sound card).

Very best,

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

Take a look at:

Sennheiser HD600
AudioTechnica A900X & AD900
Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Denon D2000
Sony MA900
AKG Q701

If using from a PC/Mac, consider a simple Fiio E10 USB DAC/AMP. Otherwise, the above can be run from any basic sound card (or you can use something simple like a Xonar DG sound card).

Very best,

Thanks a million for the reply and suggestion! I appreciate it alot!
But if you were to potentially choose one to purchase what would you buy for you're self if you listened to my kind of music?

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Thanks a million for the reply and suggestion! I appreciate it alot!
But if you were to potentially choose one to purchase what would you buy for you're self if you listened to my kind of music?

Heya,

Well, I have them... so it's hard to sort of just say one, but to make it simple, I would limit it perhaps to:

Hifiman HE-400, Denon D2000, Beyer DT880 (32ohm to 250ohm, either is ok) and Sony MA900 as a simple starting point. They're all efficient and easy to drive from any source. Each have their own merits. The HE-400, to me, will be your best choice but it's also the most expensive. The rest are on relatively even playing grounds, but will have preference differences. If you want supreme sub-bass capability you go with the Denon, if you want improved sound stage and maximum comfort with some sparkle, you go with the DT880, and if you want a really huge sound stage, and light weight, you go with the MA900.

Very best,

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

Well, I have them... so it's hard to sort of just say one, but to make it simple, I would limit it perhaps to:

Hifiman HE-400, Denon D2000, Beyer DT880 (32ohm to 250ohm, either is ok) and Sony MA900 as a simple starting point. They're all efficient and easy to drive from any source. Each have their own merits. The HE-400, to me, will be your best choice but it's also the most expensive. The rest are on relatively even playing grounds, but will have preference differences. If you want supreme sub-bass capability you go with the Denon, if you want improved sound stage and maximum comfort with some sparkle, you go with the DT880, and if you want a really huge sound stage, and light weight, you go with the MA900.

Very best,

Thank you so much man you seriously have been an absolutely huge help.
I will take you're recommendations into consideration when I'm purchasing a pair of headphones.
Thanks again and have a great rest of you're day.
gs1000.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 13
well do you listen to other genres as well? You said you want bass present (with the Q701s which are amazing for classical the bass is there it just lacks a real punch) and if you don't get a powerful amp to run it it will have even less bass (they sound pretty bad w/o a decent Dac and amp) 

I would look into HD 600s, they are very neutral have a good amount of bass (for me at least) also look into a fiio e9/e7 that's what I'm running and I'm pretty happy with them.  If you listen to other genres a lot they make everything sound amazing.  

I would try to find a local store you can audition some setups  before you drop money on anything.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
well do you listen to other genres as well? You said you want bass present (with the Q701s which are amazing for classical the bass is there it just lacks a real punch) and if you don't get a powerful amp to run it it will have even less bass (they sound pretty bad w/o a decent Dac and amp) 

I would look into HD 600s, they are very neutral have a good amount of bass (for me at least) also look into a fiio e9/e7 that's what I'm running and I'm pretty happy with them.  If you listen to other genres a lot they make everything sound amazing.  

I would try to find a local store you can audition some setups  before you drop money on anything.

To be honest I don't know to many local stores that sell these items :frowning2:.
well I just moved to the area so I haven't looked yet :p.
Also I'm thinking of purchasing that small usb amp that was suggested above.
Do you think it would work well with the HD 600's? Thanks!

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

To be honest I don't know to many local stores that sell these items :frowning2:.
well I just moved to the area so I haven't looked yet :p.
Also I'm thinking of purchasing that small usb amp that was suggested above.
Do you think it would work well with the HD 600's? Thanks!

I think the E10 would be a little weak for HD 600s but I have no experience with it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
I think the E10 would be a little weak for HD 600s but I have no experience with it.

Heya,

The HD600's and DT880's (even 600ohm) work perfectly fine with the Fiio E10. It handles them fine. Both headphones are relatively efficient to power. The HD600 does not need huge amplification to sound good or proper. Can it scale with higher end equipment? Yes. Most headphones can to a degree. The Fiio E10 is however a very good amplifier for virtually all headphones for it's cost. It powered the HE400, Q701, HD600, HD650, DT880 600ohm (and lower impedance models too), etc fine. I've run a HE-500 from a Fiio E10 even. Again, works fine. It's quite an impressive little DAC/AMP that really is an excellent way to start this hobby.

Very best,

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 13
The SR-125 is a fine can and if you like the sound of them will be fine for your musical taste. They do not need an amp so they're a good choice for someone new to the hobby. Later, if you add an amp, you'll be able to hear the improvement with the 125's, so good choice there as well. Be aware that the SR125's are open cans so they do not block out outside noise and conversely, others will be able to hear what you're listening to in a quiet room.

Best,
k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back