Best headphones for hip hop/rap for 300$
Jun 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:
I just checked on amazon( where I buy most of mi stuff at) and the pioneer hdj2000 are on such a good deal for 250$ a 100$ less then they were a month ago. Do guys think this a good deal or do u think i can get much more for less also Since u said tht the vmoda m80s are the best for hip hop what do u think about the crossfade lp2s and I can't find the ath es10 for less then 400 so what about the ath esw9a.

The ESW9a has weightier bass than the HDJ2000. The HDJ2000 knocks. The ESW9a booms. The HDJ2000 has more prominent mids compared to the ESW9a, which is known to have very good mids as well. Vocals sound closer on the HDJ2000. Also, the treble is slightly peaky on the ESW9a compared to the darker sounding HDJ2000. Both feel and look great. The HDJ2000 are bigger and heavier and maybe more sturdier. It's close. But you'll definitely need bass boost for both, especially coming off the XB500.

Note with the M80 or Q40, you won't need too much boost to match the XB500's bass.

Haven't tried the Crossfades because I've been scared off by reviews. Clarity in the mids is supposedly not very good. May as well get the Beats Pro.

Quote:
if you're looking to enjoy that east coast boom bap, west coast g funk or smooth jazz rap (think guru's jazzmatazz, tribe, and mc solaar from france) i would recommend either the ath pro700mk2's or the monoprice 8323's with a dac and an amp

I have the ATH-Pro700Mk2. Straight from my COWON player they sound like great hip hop headphones. I can't seem to find the right DAC/AMP combo for them, though, and they sound like crap straight from my ipod.

I'm intrigued by the Monoprice. So cheap! If the OP is just looking to upgrade from the XB500, then the $20 Monoprice or the $30 HTF600 might just do the trick over a pair of $300 cans. lol!

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #17 of 66
Update: I decide to pull out my old Pete Rock & CL Smooth CD (The Main Ingredient) because of this thread. Using an Ipod Classic 7th Gen player and Fiio E11 as a source, you almost can't go wrong with Audio Technica. The ATH-ESW9a produces good bass and great clarity for vocals. The ATH-M50 gives you punchier bass and a touch more high-end brightness, which brings life to PR's signature jazz samples. The vocals sound a bit distant on the M50, so if you usually do a V-shape on the equalizer, the M50 gives you that instantly. The ATH-WS55 has more upfront bass and more bass quantity. Its mids also sound closer than on the M50 and its treble is toned down. I'm continually impressed by the WS55's layering and the way it separates the beat, the sample and vocal. On the other headphones they tend to blend together. The WS55 might be your headphone.

Also tried the M80 (my favorite for hip hop) and the HDJ-2000 using the same source. The M80 had the best bass impact out of all the headphones but its mids sounded flat and lifeless. It needs a source (Walkman? Nuforce?) or amp (Cmoy?) with mid emphasis. On the polar end, the HDJ had the least amount of bass but the clearest vocal presentation. It is by no means light on bass. Drums sound nice with good impact. But the low-end (808) bass on the HDJ is not as prominent as on the other headphones. The HDJ may, in fact, have the best balanced sound for hip hop.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #18 of 66
Update: I decide to pull out my old Pete Rock & CL Smooth CD (The Main Ingredient) because of this thread. Using an Ipod Classic 7th Gen player and Fiio E11 as a source, you almost can't go wrong with Audio Technica. The ATH-ESW9a produces good bass and great clarity for vocals. The ATH-M50 gives you punchier bass and a touch more high-end brightness, which brings life to PR's signature jazz samples. The vocals sound a bit distant on the M50, so if you usually do a V-shape on the equalizer, the M50 gives you that instantly. The ATH-WS55 has more upfront bass and more bass quantity. Its mids also sound closer than on the M50 and its treble is toned down. I'm continually impressed by the WS55's layering and the way it separates the beat, the sample and vocal. On the other headphones they tend to blend together. The WS55 might be your headphone.

Also tried the M80 (my favorite for hip hop) and the HDJ-2000 using the same source. The M80 had the best bass impact out of all the headphones but its mids sounded flat and lifeless. It needs a source (Walkman? Nuforce?) or amp (Cmoy?) with mid emphasis. On the polar end, the HDJ had the least amount of bass but the clearest vocal presentation. It is by no means light on bass. Drums sound nice with good impact. But the low-end (808) bass on the HDJ is not as prominent as on the other headphones. The HDJ may, in fact, have the best balanced sound for hip hop.

Thts a tuff one you makes some very good points for all of them. I think I'm stuck between the HDJ 2000 and the ath-ws55 now(well balanced vs separation with upfront bass). Coming from someone who has a xb500( I also have the klipsch s4) which one do u think will just WOW me with it's sound signature. Btw TROY is mi favorite hip hop song of all time

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 66
Straight from an ipod, I doubt either headphone would WOW you. The WS55 might impress you with its clarity and bass combination. The HDJ's mids and smooth highs might impress with the vocal and sample clarity.

Using an ipod (classic, 7th gen) paired with the Fiio E11, WS55's bass slams harder than the HDJ but not quite XB500 levels. Clarity in the WS55's mids and highs are much better than the XB500. PR's horn samples sound nicer on the HDJ due to its superior mid/high performance. The WS55 is definitely heavy sounding, while the HDJ is lighter and more detailed. It comes down to preference.

Comfort and appearance wise, the HDJ easily wins. It definitely looks and feels more expensive. It also has the compatible velor pad option.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #20 of 66
Straight from an ipod, I doubt either headphone would WOW you. The WS55 might impress you with its clarity and bass combination. The HDJ's mids and smooth highs might impress with the vocal and sample clarity.

Using an ipod (classic, 7th gen) paired with the Fiio E11, WS55's bass slams harder than the HDJ but not quite XB500 levels. Clarity in the WS55's mids and highs are much better than the XB500. PR's horn samples sound nicer on the HDJ due to its superior mid/high performance. The WS55 is definitely heavy sounding, while the HDJ is lighter and more detailed. It comes down to preference.

Comfort and appearance wise, the HDJ easily wins. It definitely looks and feels more expensive. It also has the compatible velor pad option.

For what it's worth I think Im gnna get the hdj2000 with a fiio e11 or e7/e9 combo cause comfort is a really big deal for me and the compatible velour pads are a plus. Also u said there the best neutral sounding cans for hip hop/rap and I listen to a lot of different artist not just PR.

I'm still gonna check out the other cans people mentioned to me before(if they have them at frys). I'll tell u mi final choice tomorrow.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #21 of 66
Hey, you can't lose either way. Both are great, even for music other than hip hop.

Also, the V-Moda M100 are going to be released next month. It is in your price range and may end up being a better-sounding LP Crossfade. You should probably wait.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 66
Just got back from frys and sadly it was just a waste of mi time. They had a couple of good headphones on there shelves but they wouldn't let me try them out. I couldn't find any of the cans u guys mentioned to me and the only demo they had was the Bose qc15. I did find out though that they had this new klipsch headphone the mode m40. Have any of you tried these out yet or are they not even worth mentioning?

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #24 of 66
Quote:
I'm new to head fi and I'm wondering if you guys can help me find mi next headphone.
My current headphone is the Sony xb500 and mi budget is 300$ but I can manage to put it up to 350 if necessary. I listen to alot of hip hop/rap music( mostly old scool ) from my itouch 4 so I need good bass. I researched alot of headphones and I'm stuck between getting these
Ultrasone pro 900 (349$)
Akg k550 (299$)
Denon d2000 (299$)
Sennheiser hd600 (290$) used
and Grado sr325is (299$).
I know some of these need a good amp to be used so if any of you have any suggestions about that to it would be really helpfull.

Do your self a favor and save some money and buy the Ultrasone HiFI 780 and the FiiO E11 and you are all set. The beauty of the 780's is that they really dont need an amp and will run great with you iPod or phone but really come alive and will shake your skull with the E11. I listen to a lot of Hip/Hop and Dub step and these things really have a personality when you play the right music. Some will say that the highs are metallic and they can be at first but after a nice break in they calm down a little bit and complement the bass very nicely!! Plus for the price of only $149 for the 780's and $62 for the e11 you cant lose!!

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #25 of 66
The HDJ-2000 actually sounds like the HIFI-780. Similar bass punch, similar vocal presentation. The HDJ are slightly darker sounding on the top end. You won't hear the drum cymbals as much.

Wouldn't touch Klipsch, especially a noise cancelling one.

I still think the WS55 is the best choice for you, at the moment, at least, until the M100 comes out. Think of them as a refined XB500, with tighter bass, cleaner look, and clearer mids.

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #27 of 66
Sony XB 1000 + FiiO E7/E9 = Hip Hop Heaven.

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #28 of 66
I might as well wait till the vmoda m100s come out (cause apparently there an over the ear m80). As for amps go how does the fiio e9/e7 combo differ from the fiio e11 amp?

Bye the way does anyone here know any store tht let's u try out headphones?

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:
I might as well wait till the vmoda m100s come out (cause apparently there an over the ear m80). As for amps go how does the fiio e9/e7 combo differ from the fiio e11 amp?

I'm ultimately betting on the M-100 as well.  I can't speak to the FiiO E9 or E7, but my Ell goes loud with a full, clean sound and has an excellent 2-step bass boost, plus it is extremely light and compact.  Depending where you order, it should also come with a spare battery and charger.

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

As far as trying headphones, Apple has a 14 day return, Amazon also has a return policy as long as you are purchasing through them directly and not a reseller (not sure if it applies to IEMs).  Best Buy has recently expanded their in-store headphone demo selection (also another section in Magnolia).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back