Best Headphones for gaming & music around 200$
Jul 6, 2010 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

luffy92

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I was wondering what some people would recommend for a good pair of headphones and maybe an amp for around 200$(I can go up to 250$) for both. I plan to use it for gaming and music. Mainly FPS like battlefield bad company 2 and I listen to rap, alternative, hip-hop, R&B. I was considering getting the sennheiser 555 with a fiio e5 amp. Does anybody have other recommendations? I've heard that the AD700's were also good. I'll be using the headphones with my laptop. I don't care if they're open or closed. This would be my first purchase of a decent set of headphones, my current set is an old steelseries 4h that I bought because i needed a headset for games.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi (sorry about your wallet). 

You'll probably want closed headphones for bass heavy music. The AD700 is popular for gaming because it is easy to drive and has an expansive soundstage - and that's OK to great for some with gaming. However, it doesn't have the bass weight / punch that most prefer with bass heavy music or for explosions in gaming. 

I suggest considering the RX700 for < $35 and a nice amp or DAC/amp to run from your laptop - maybe a Zero DAC/amp or something similar or even more powerful. I suggest searching / posting in the amp and computer audio forums for more help. Also search RX700 to find easy and cheap mods for it. A google search should help too.

I've owned the AD700 and RX700 - but I don't game.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Consider the Fischer Audio FA-003 headphones for high end sound for both gaming, music and movies.

If you want a cheaper alternative, try the FA-004.

I use the FA-003's for mastering and restoration purposes. The FA-004's I like for gaming and mobile listening.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 7
The AD700s are brilliant for gaming but lack the bass for your music. Maybe you should look into the Creative Aurvana Live?

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Though the AD700 are great for gaming and music, they are a bit light in bass. I still use them (and enjoy them) for R&B and Hip Hop but they aren't ideal.  Something like the Beyer DT440 would be better.  If you want a closed option the DT250 is a great choice.

As for the Fiio E5, they aren't really worth it unlesss your simply looking for more volume as they don't improve sound quality. The Fiio can actually make it worse in some cases.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 7
Id say AD700s as well as the Turtle Beach HPA2. Both are great on the Astro Mixamp.

The JVC HA-RX900 is also a great one based on the feedback especially after modding them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back