Best headphones for 250 and below
Jun 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

darklord57

New Head-Fier
looking for some good headphones that are 250. preferably closed headphones. was looking at senns earlier, but couldnt find any that i liked besides the hd 598s, but those were open. now looking at the bose oe2i. Any advice?? i listen to bassy music , and i really like bass, but i like mids and treble too. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 34
Well... there would be 3:

1.  Grado SR-225 - simply a superb clone of the RS-1 for $160, if you buy at a discount - which you can.

2.  Sennheiser HD580 - probably a bit better... IF... they are the "new version," and you have the right amp to drive them (e.g. WA6 SE, or WA2, or GS Solo, etc.), and you have a silver cable.  

3.  Denon D2000 - also great... IF... you apply the Markl Mods, and find the right amp to match their high current, low impedance requirements.

You'll be thrilled with any of these.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 34
Well... there would be 3:

1.  Grado SR-225 - simply a superb clone of the RS-1 for $160, if you buy at a discount - which you can.

+1 to these. They're not really that bassy though - so they may or may not be satisfying (I liked them with electronica/RnB/etc but maybe others wouldn't - they're not "basshead" cans).

2.  Sennheiser HD580 - probably a bit better... IF... they are the "new version," and you have the right amp to drive them (e.g. WA6 SE, or WA2, or GS Solo, etc.), and you have a silver cable.  

Seriously?
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html

You're kidding right? (and I'm sure the cable is another $500+; because it totally makes sense to have cables and amps that cost 5-10x what the headphone costs :rolleyes:).

3.  Denon D2000 - also great... IF... you apply the Markl Mods, and find the right amp to match their high current, low impedance requirements.

I agree 100% with this one! :D They don't need much to really tear your face off and sound quite good. :) Just avoid the OTLs.

Other cans to consider if the D2000 are unavailable or too expensive:
Bose AE2 (I wouldn't get the OE because I'm not a huge fan of on-ears; if you want an on-ear headphone get the ESW9 or a Grado); you don't need the "i" version unless you need Apple integration (that's all it does for AE2i/OE2i).
M-Audio Q40
Sennheiser HD 280Pro (the silver one is probably more attractive, bit harder to find)
AT ESW9 (as mentioned)
Bose QC15 (there is no "i" version - it includes both the "i" and "non-i" cables)
Ultrasone HFI-2400 (I know they're openbacked, but they otherwise satisfy your requirements).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back