Best headphones around $400
Aug 2, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #61 of 73

Quote:
I did listen with my ears to the SR80 which I owned and the SR225 at a meet. Both sounded like the old cassette decks with the Loudness button turned on. Extremely fatiguing. What I've heard matches pretty well with what I see on those graphs.

I do agree with you, however, on the D7000. That just doesn't look right.

Grados certainly aren't for everyone...no issues.
smile.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #62 of 73

Quote:

The graphs are at Headroom (www.headphone.com).  They cut out at 11kHz because no headphone graphs look good passed there.  Speakers can produce much better sound than headphones. 
Yeah, frequency response curves will probably make you hate your headphones.

Sorry, I have to correct this, your interpretation of a graph in logarithmic scale is wrong. The graphs at Headroom go up to 20Khz.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #63 of 73
Sorry, my bad.

1 > 2

10 > 20

100 > 200

1k > 2k

10k > 20k

100k > 200k

Thanks for the correction.

L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #65 of 73
Haha, no..no...I didn't get offended. Just simply expressing the fact that it's off the topic. That's it.

But considering the fluid nature of online conversations, how can one ask questions germane to the current conversation that's gone obtuse?

Understanding headphones is how you get around to buying the best headphones for under $400.00 and having ready access to information helps in that quest.

???

In truth, I fail to see how my questions were off topic as they dealt with finding information and understanding the present conversation regarding the gaining of technical insight for the purpose of obtaining quality $400.00 headphones.

???

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #66 of 73
I ordered HD650s and they shipped today.  Also, I completed my tube amp.  I need to replace the volume potentiometer.  It's absolute garbage.  Don't buy them from Radioshack.  I thought "How bad could it be"?  I learned my lesson.  Anyway, it had some buzzing, but it suddenly went away after running it for around 20 min.  No clue what the buzzing was.  The amp sounds like my STX, but it has a warm tube sound and I can't run it at more than 3% max volume or my ears bleed.  Oh, and I got it working on the first try
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #67 of 73
3% max volume.. are you sure that wasn't a speaker amp design? LOL.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #68 of 73
Personally, if I lost all my headphones and had only about $400 for a new pair, I'd get the HD650. The first rule I judge any audio gear by is that is has to do no harm. The HD650 is one good example of something that does no harm first and foremost. The only thing worth criticizing about the HD650 is that its sub-bass isn't as prominent as it ideally should be. I don't know what other headphone in that price does no harm, has all the strengths of the HD650, as well as have a more prominent sub-bass that's not bloated and just right.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #69 of 73
lunatique have you ever tried Thunderpants? Given your headphone experience/arsenal, id be curious to hear how you think they weigh in.  thats what i would vote for, especially given what the OP seemed to want.  In my experience they Greatly outclassed both denon ahd2000, and ath w1000x in every way.  From my limited experience with Stax, the thunderpants were much closer to being in league with them.  I couldnt even put those two (dennon's and ath) in the same league as thunderpants.  As far as sennheiser's full size cans, ive only ever owned hd555's which were no where close to comparable.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #70 of 73

Quote:
lunatique have you ever tried Thunderpants? Given your headphone experience/arsenal, id be curious to hear how you think they weigh in.  thats what i would vote for, especially given what the OP seemed to want.  In my experience they Greatly outclassed both denon ahd2000, and ath w1000x in every way.  From my limited experience with Stax, the thunderpants were much closer to being in league with them.  I couldnt even put those two (dennon's and ath) in the same league as thunderpants.  As far as sennheiser's full size cans, ive only ever owned hd555's which were no where close to comparable.

Nope. From what I've read about them, I'm not that interested--especially when those reviews/comments were pitting the Thunderpants against the LCD-2, and the LCD-2 was superior in just about every way.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #71 of 73
i can see your point. 
Though when someone is looking for a $500 headphone, it is nice to point them to a can that gets compared to the LCD-2  :wink:.
I've never heard of another $500 can that can come close to the thunderpants sound.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #73 of 73
 Soundmagic HP100 /200,Hifiman HE-500,Sennys HD 600, Fostex TH900, Mr Speakers Mad Dog, Audeze LC2, Beyerdynamic T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back