Best Gaming Headphones.... With Poll? BUDGET: £100-£250
Sep 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #61 of 319

Quote:
Way too limited choice!
Example no Stax 4070 in the list - my clear favorite headphone for gaming so far..

and i need to make a special mention for the Audio Technicas A900TIs...

also great for gaming..... ball bustin' bass  ... but not sloppy at all ... soundstage is a little small, but not bad for a closed phone.

i alternate between these and the DT990s for gaming.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #62 of 319
AD700's bass is tight and quick and has this cool character to it.  It is just enough for decent balance, no extra and lacks impact.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #65 of 319
I've tried K701s for gaming and the sound quality and precision suffers because the source.  K701 requires VERY high quality source sound.  It just doesn't feel real to me and I've tried it a redundant amount of times.

You can't assume PS3 is lossless just because of storage space.  Most games are just DVD in size except AAA titles like GOD of WAR 3 etc.  Is that lossless?  Who knows.  If we can't prove it, we would have to assume its lossy because that is the prevalent form of audio at the present time.

Again this part is so much splitting hairs.  It really comes down to your ears and what you perceive.  For many of us its placebo and preference.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #66 of 319
Really prefer the ad700 over the k701 for gaming..

I own both btw, orginally own the k701 for music, then tried it for gaming. but in the end, my k701 was "permanently" on my audio rig after ad700 came in.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #68 of 319
I personally think the XB700 sounds fanatstic for games, at the low price it's like the AD700 for bassy cans. YMMV but I really felt this way after comparing it to a bunch of cans for gaming.

The drawback is that it does not have the fine resolution and clarity of the HD650, so I guess yeah if you're the type that gets lost in bass you might not be able to hear certain things as clearly. I just never had this problem and can hear footsteps with it, but some people say they can't hear footsteps and stuff properly with the XB700.

I would try it out, maybe get it from somewhere where you can return it in case it doesn't work out for your ears. 

Quote:

This is my setup LD DAC1 > LD MKIII > HD650.

Are you sure the XB700 is an improvement over the HD650? The XB700 is just 60 euros where I am from... So if it's true what you say they are, then it would be a terrific bargain for the characteristics that I want, wider soundstage with good imaging. I too was rather dissapointed with the imaging of the HD650, my crappy logitech headset (20 euros) could pin point the sound more accurate (in fps like left4dead). I thought I was just imagining things, I mean how can a lowcost headset ever beat a "highend" headphone in any way at all.

The way you describe it, it seems like the XB700 is the ultimate headphone for gaming (in the 50-400 pricerange). Would you suggest me getting the XB700 with my current setup, and if so, where does the XB700 fall short whereas the HD650 excels (in first/third person games)?

Hope to hear from you soon.
This is my setup LD DAC1 > LD MKIII > HD650.

Are you sure the XB700 is an improvement over the HD650? The XB700 is just 60 euros where I am from... So if it's true what you say they are, then it would be a terrific bargain for the characteristics that I want, wider soundstage, 

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #69 of 319
Hmm, you guys are running this off a PS3/360 or a PC?  Can you attach a DAC to the PS3? Personally I use a high quality soundcard with optical out so it sounds good to me. But yeah it's likely one of those personal preference things, maybe even placebo.

Quote:
I've tried K701s for gaming and the sound quality and precision suffers because the source.  K701 requires VERY high quality source sound.  It just doesn't feel real to me and I've tried it a redundant amount of times.

You can't assume PS3 is lossless just because of storage space.  Most games are just DVD in size except AAA titles like GOD of WAR 3 etc.  Is that lossless?  Who knows.  If we can't prove it, we would have to assume its lossy because that is the prevalent form of audio at the present time.

Again this part is so much splitting hairs.  It really comes down to your ears and what you perceive.  For many of us its placebo and preference.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #71 of 319
I know there is limited amount of choice....

..But i wanted to help the majority of people, not the high end people..

But thanks for your input anyways?

Well, you asked for the "best". If you later strangle it with a low budget you will no longer get the "best"...
You most often get what you pay for.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #72 of 319

Quote:
Well, you asked for the "best". If you later strangle it with a low budget you will no longer get the "best"...
You most often get what you pay for.

X2.

well yeah, if money is not an issue. id be looking at a T1  ... with the appropriate/sufficient gear behind it, mind you   .......

heard it briefly on my friends setup, and it was very nice with games  ..... detail was pretty amazing.

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #74 of 319

Quote:

Again this part is so much splitting hairs.

I agree on the last sentence it is splitting hairs to some extent, but it stands to reason that the PS3 exclusives would be lossless due to the size of the discs - most exclusive are at least 15gb in size as opposed to the 8.5gb elsewhere....some are a whopping 50gb! So yes the exclusives do have lossless in part because of space afforded and also by the blu ray disc standard - again not sure of the multiplatform games which are DVD size because they are also found on Xbox 360 which uses dual layer dvd and not blu ray - so it wouldn't surprise me if the multiplatform games aren't lossless - but then again they do tailor games at least a little these days for the host system so on the other hand it also wouldn't surprise me if all games on the PS3 were encoded lossless upon porting to that platform and disc. But in truth, you probably will not hear the difference anyway unless you have a good setup rig and you play an audio rich game....it's a bit like the graphics/hdtv situation - a game can have the best graphics in the world, but if you're playing it on a crappy tv it doesn't matter how good the graphics are because you won't be able to appreciate them as much without a good, clear high definition television. The same also applies to music/sound reproduction when it comes to speakers of any kind - that's why we're all here lol we all know that the speakers on tv's are awful but that's what most people are happy to game with.

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #75 of 319
Look....

I am trying to help the majority of people...

Most people want be able to afford the the T1 or Hd800..

I am trying to find the best gaming can within a budget that most people can afford...

May bee in the future i might create a poll with ultimate gaming can, with price being no issue...

Then why not be specific about that in the thread topic and OP?
Specify that you are not looking for the overall "best" gaming headphone, but a great performing one within a set budget frame.

Just wondering..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back