Best Gaming Headphones.... With Poll? BUDGET: £100-£250
Sep 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #17 of 319
I'm a hard-core gamer.  'Age of Empires', 'Civilization 5', 'Falcon 4' (I'm in an online squadron and fly with guys from all over the world), 'Plants vs. Zombies' (hey, it's awesome).

And I'm a hardcore headphone guy, listen to classical music an hour or two a night on my system (Lawton D5000's and a Soundquest SQ-84V2 amp).

But I NEVER game with headphones.   Just wouldn't be comfortable enough for me to wear for hours.  Certainly not with my glasses on.   

I would think something lighter than your standard Senn, Denon, Beyer.  

Perhaps the new 'portable' Beyer, what's it called, the T150P or something like that?  Or one of the lighter Sony's. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 319
if you play FPS games alot headphones are basically essential, you're deaf without them :p  i don't use them for other games though, for sure...

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 319
Beyer DT880 are good for gaming. So are the ad700; having both the ad700 and dt880 i feel that the dt880 just exceeds the ad700 everyway. The extra bass of the dt880 gives better impact than the ad700. Both have superb soundstage though. ad700 feels larger but less natural.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #21 of 319
Like he said, it does everything better, but female vocals sound unnatural on either.  Still, if you can shoot for DT880, go for it, especially the 600-ohm version with a good amp.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 319
If price really isn't an issue, I'd read up on the Smyth system. I haven't really kept up on that particular company, but iirc Edwood has it and likes it. Simply pair that with any decent headphone for ridiculous imaging.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 319
I rather the natural soundstage of the AD700's. 
For me, a good headphone for gaming. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #25 of 319
When I used to play CS, what I looked for in a headphone was in no particular order (depends on your priorities)

a) Pinpoint imaging/soundstage. Accuracy is definitely important in order to perceieve your oponents
b) Physical Comfort
c) Non-fatiguing sound signature (somewhat related to comfort)
d) Generally go with closed/not open (especially helpful if you're in a LAN environment where your opponents can hear you via headphones). This one is definitely a preference thing.
e) Tonal Accuracy ..lot less important really, but nice to have for a more believeable immersive environment

Honestly, I'm not too familiar with Beyer and AT products, I imagine AKGs (501 and up) would work well, you'll probably just lose a lot of low end presence (i.e. grenade frags, explosions won't be as loud). I don't recommend Grados..too fatiguing and leaks too much sound.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #27 of 319
I voted dt880s. Overall it's the best bet. The ad700s have a large, airy sound stage, but lacking when it comes to impact and extension.  I also like the dt990s, but they aren't as neutral as the dt880s. I feel they(out of the choices) would be the best bet overall because they are not lacking in any area and gives you pretty much everything you need for a good gaming headphone.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #29 of 319
I dont completely think the dt880 sound unnatural with female vocals. i have the 2003 dt880 and its very balanced and neutral. sometimes its too neutral that it loses its "fun" factor. The female vocals arent necessarily unnatural, but just not present and forward like the grados. some people have noted that the dt880 2005 has recessed female vocals, but with the 2003 i dont feel that its too recessed. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 319
weird i have not tried any of these, had i tried all of them i  would be inclined to cast a vote.
 i have however done some research on some listed above and i am a gamer.

i have tried some closed hfi 780 and i hated them, mostly the build and fit.   i would think id prefer gaming best with closed phones, but that is surely up for debate. any open can gamers care to chime in???  an open can might even help you locate enemy better when playing call of duty.

i think i read the ad700 may be bass light look into that, but ad900 i haven't a clue.  i am actually pondering some w1000 vs w1000x? anybody?   and also the w2002 vs all the the audio technica except the  leather head.    audio technica fans please lend you opinions and impressions.

ive also read the open 990 have much bass but are also  a bit bright, and ive read that beyer house sound leans it self  forward.    ive also read  conflicting posts that say 770 were  boring and neutral, and then ive read others say they have a lot of bass and keep the beyer house sound all while remaining closed.  and ive read the 880 are more neutral and smoother? and those seem to be more popular than the other two.   i might prefer the 880 over the 990 if the highs were more neutral i would think, but then the 990 has more bass slam from what i have read

outve all those mentioned i am actually planning on getting the m50's some day because for there price they are highly regarded, supposedly isolate well(important for me) and punch hard(also important to me)  but i also worry they me be forward?????????  ive read the audio technica house sound is usually forward as well 
also if the 990 were closed i would already have bought the 600 ohms surely, but ive read beyer is working on a new  closed 600 ohm. and why not make a closed 880 and a closed 990 600 ohm variation while they are at it.
ive never tried  but  many rock the semi open senn 650 and ive always wanted to try those too

i mainly use my denon 7000 for gaming but lately they have been a bit too forward with my sensitive ears,(probably just my ears have gotten more sensitive, thanks headfi) and ive been wondering if a denon downgrade may be  more to my liking, only if it would lessen some highs, but like ive said before i cant ever see myself selling until i find a more comfortable can period.  comfort is super important to me.   but if comfort and  grenade explosions is what your after i can safely highly recommend denon cans.

just to add, preference of course, conquers all, even for gaming and the cans u listed must have very different signatures, maybe if people knew your preference and taste they could better help recommend u.

hope this helps and doesn't complicate
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back