Best Gaming Headphones.... With Poll? BUDGET: £100-£250
Nov 19, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #316 of 319
I am sorry you think so. I try to help with accurate information.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #317 of 319
I've just started getting into gaming with headphones in the last month. I was really liking the k240 Studio for gaming believe it or not. It has a good soundstage, no excessive bass and pretty good imaging. They're also quite comfortable.

It seems that most people seem to agree that the AD700 is one of the best cheap headphones for gaming. What is generally most accepted as the best closed headphone for gaming that's under $150?

Last night I started a new game of Bioshock 2 last night for the first time in over 6 months after having beaten it. This time I plugged in my k240 Studio and the sound was good, but when I plugged in my Koss Pro DJ 100 I was pretty "Wowed" by the sound quality. Everything was so much better. I ended up staying up until 4am I was so engrossed in the game again and a lot had to do with the sound.

I don't know why, but for games I like the in your face sound that some open headphones don't always provide. I'm not sure why, but when I use the DJ100 the sound feels like the same as putting an IEM in your ear. It feels like the sound is so close and so much easier to hear.

Felt like you could hear every trickle of water and every tiny detail. As you may know, you're in a giant metal suit in the game and you can really hear and feel the loud stomps when you're walking. This game really makes use of sound well. Sometimes you feel as if something is ready to  jump around the corner at you every few minutes.

I was so impressed with these that I almost want to compare them to the AD700 now. Of course these probably wouldn't be as good for movies as for gaming.

The mids on the DJ100 are very forward and this helps out a lot. Unlike the AD700, they do have more than enough bass, but not enough so it drowns out the mids. Footsteps are so easy to spot and they're always there despite what else is going on in the game. Imaging is basically spot on. For music I felt these had the best imaging out of everything else I have under $200. I don't know why, but I always felt like closed headphones had better imaging then open headphones. I wonder why this is. The soundstage is still very good despite being closed.

I also need to try out my k601 with gaming. It's probably not as forward sounding, but maybe. The DJ100 has the most forward sounding mids i've found without ruining anything. I also kind of liked my HD-600 for gaming but I sold those. D2000 was just plain terrible to me for gaming, but I guess I could give it a second chance.

I bet the DT-880 is far better for gaming and I want to try it, but I guess I don't play enough games to justify buying one for gaming. DJ100 is a cheap idea for those that want a good gaming headphone ($80). Too bad it has a coiled cable and does need some amping. It works very well from my receiver. It has far more detail than the HD-555  and I'm willing to bet money that the soundstage and imaging is actually better!

I hope someone else can try this..

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #318 of 319
I am glad you liked the dj100 for gaming.
I am starting to think ad700 is over hyped....

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #319 of 319
I think generally the DT 770 is considered the best closed can for gaming though it doesn't quite fit the under $150 category unless you get a used one. I know the closed AT series has been used a lot for gaming before the AD700's became so popular.

As for the DT 880, they are my favorite headphone, but I wouldn't get them unless you plan to use them for more than just gaming. It is definitely an improvement but the jump in price isn't justified in my view unless you will use them for movies, and especially music as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back