Best dubstep headphones for $100?
Mar 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

TheBaron

New Head-Fier
Hello again guys, I'm looking to get a pair of nice headphones after getting used to my monster jamz. I have $100 to spend. Can you tell me your favorites (and why)? My favorite music to listen to is drum and bass and dubstep (The Prodigy, Pendulum, Nero, Doctor P, Rusko). I was really considering getting some Grados but I have heard that I can better spend my money on some 'phones that are more appropriately suited for my music tastes.

EDIT: I will be using both my iPhone and computer as the audio sources. I don't think I will ever have the need for an amp. I also don't need to buy some right away; If there are any headphones worth waiting for that will be out in the next month or two, feel free to bring those up as well

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 33
Audio Technica M50, they are a tad over $100 but they are considered one of the best if not the best base head headphones around $100.  The Grados that you mentioned earlier are nice but they are on ear and open, so they aren't the most confertable headphones and also if you are going to be using them outside everyone will be able to clearly hear what you are listening to.  If you do not mind that then the Grado SR-80i are amazing.  But the M50s have good isolation and are also not as fatiguing.  

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 33
If you like bass I wouldn't get grados. Grados are known for having a lack of bass.  I agree the M50 is a good choice but it is a little over a $100. I would get a pair of Panasonic HTF600 and a cheap portable headphone amp like the Fiio E6. The HFT600 is a nice basshead headphone that is very cheap. U can pick them up for around $30. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:
There are a lot of different M50 headphones on amazon. What's the difference between all of them?

Just some hardware specs like color and cable type (coiled and the regular straight type).
You really can't go wrong with the m50's, the sound from those is just amazing.

If you want bassy cans, i suggest you look at the sony xb700. They have LOTS of bass and surprisingly decent mids and highs. Super comfortable too, the pads are like heaven. :O

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:
There are a lot of different M50 headphones on amazon. What's the difference between all of them?

There is coiled and straight cable version. There is a also a white version which I saw posts that said it was worse? 

For portable use you might want the coiled one. 

I to would suggest the M50 for your price range. I still have my M50 but I upgraded to the K550 which is out of your price range and you likely would not like it. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 33
If need isolation, tough built quality, loud volume and superior sound quality then buy V-Moda M80 and they no need AMPs help to sound loud but they improve lot with it. Others headphones like JVC on ear with NC, Sony ZX700, Panasonic HDJE450, Koss Porta Pro(open but very good sounding with punchy bass)and Shure SRH450 are great buy under this budget.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:
Hello again guys, I'm looking to get a pair of nice headphones after getting used to my monster jamz. I have $100 to spend. Can you tell me your favorites (and why)? My favorite music to listen to is drum and bass and dubstep (The Prodigy, Pendulum, Nero, Doctor P, Rusko). I was really considering getting some Grados but I have heard that I can better spend my money on some 'phones that are more appropriately suited for my music tastes.

EDIT: I will be using both my iPhone and computer as the audio sources. I don't think I will ever have the need for an amp. I also don't need to buy some right away; If there are any headphones worth waiting for that will be out in the next month or two, feel free to bring those up as well

If you want a good, bassy headphone that isn't too expensive for D&B and Dubstep, you can't go wrong with the Creative Aurvana Live! or Panasonic HTF600. Both are bassier than the newer version of the M50, which is quite bass shy relative to other basshead cans.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 33
I suggest the sony MDR-XB 500 great pair of headphones, there is no lack of bass. also comfort wise best pair of headphones ive owned. In my oppinion if you get a decent portable amp they sound better then the m-50. What seals the deal for me is theyre only 70$

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 33
If you want a good, bassy headphone that isn't too expensive for D&B and Dubstep, you can't go wrong with the Creative Aurvana Live! or Panasonic HTF600. Both are bassier than the newer version of the M50, which is quite bass shy relative to other basshead cans.

Those Panasonics are very tempting for the price of $25. I think I'll go with those; the reviews are great and I would prefer to save the money than blow it on an expensive pair

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:
Those Panasonics are very tempting for the price of $25. I think I'll go with those; the reviews are great and I would prefer to save the money than blow it on an expensive pair

The M-50 most likely would have been better. Unsure how these would sound. Likely, Not as good as the M-50

Overall, I think the M-50 would be better if you can afford it. 

I hope they sound good at this price point!

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

This!
Both, the Pannies and CALs offer very good sound quality for the money and I'm pretty sure you might enjoy them for gaming and watching movies too. I've been testing today the Spider PowerForce headphones and they are a treat too! So you might look into any of these three.

Quote:
The M-50 most likely would have been better. Unsure how these would sound. Likely, Not as good as the M-50

Overall, I think the M-50 would be better if you can afford it. 

I hope they sound good at this price point!

To me the M50s will always be overrated... Their drawn out mids, average soundstage, uncomfortable pads that crack with time (heck I almost prefer the pads on the Pannies...), etc. are just not for me. I preferred the Shure SRH440s (with 840 pads) over the M50s even though the bass was a bit behind the M50s. I have to say though that the M50s are built like a tank. But, different strokes, as always YMMV!!!

Good luck to the OP!

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 33
Q-audio M40s are great too BUT, they don't sell below $100... (as far as I remember...)

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 33
Theres also the V-MODA Crossfade LP, less than $100 on Amazon, amazing bass, stylish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back