Best dubstep headphones for $100?
Mar 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

To me the M50s will always be overrated... Their drawn out mids, average soundstage, uncomfortable pads that crack with time (heck I almost prefer the pads on the Pannies...), etc. are just not for me. I preferred the Shure SRH440s (with 840 pads) over the M50s even though the bass was a bit behind the M50s. I have to say though that the M50s are built like a tank. But, different strokes, as always YMMV!!!

Well, I certainly don't think the M50 is a good can for EDM or bass heavy tracks at all. You certainly would need to EQ its bass to get it to sound anything good for these sort of music. The M50 isn't a really bad headphone, but it just seems to be the one-stop solution for so many genres/needs.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:
Q-audio M40s are great too BUT, they don't sell below $100... (as far as I remember...)

That's what I thought too, but B&H has them on sale for just $99 now. That's a really good price, IMO. Damn, it's a pretty tempting offer. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To me the M50s will always be overrated... Their drawn out mids, average soundstage, uncomfortable pads that crack with time (heck I almost prefer the pads on the Pannies...), etc. are just not for me. I preferred the Shure SRH440s (with 840 pads) over the M50s even though the bass was a bit behind the M50s. I have to say though that the M50s are built like a tank. But, different strokes, as always YMMV!!!

I agree with you here. However for dubstep I think they are good. 

At 120$ Price point now I think? They are still a great value IMO. May be over rated but very good value. 

I upgraded to the K550 and can tell the recessed mids easily with an A-B test. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 33
I think it should be M50,  XB500s EQed (rising W shape or something similiar), Panasonic HTF600s or JVC S500 or S600s EQed (W shape; and if you want earthquake, E6 preferred, I have these cans myself, so I can assist you further if you want)

EDIT: At a 2nd glance I might have gotten too cheap there :D 
but at $100 most headphones are either more neutral or open-back sets. and I don't think you would be happy having bought them and then compared it to those mentioned below. The next step could be DT770s, but they cost some $150+, unless you are willing to buy a second-hand of course.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Well, I certainly don't think the M50 is a good can for EDM or bass heavy tracks at all. You certainly would need to EQ its bass to get it to sound anything good for these sort of music. The M50 isn't a really bad headphone, but it just seems to be the one-stop solution for so many genres/needs.

I didn't see this post earlier. 

IMO if you did this it would make EDM sound like crap IMO with the M50's

If you had EDM would vocals this would likely make it should horrible. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:
I didn't see this post earlier. 

IMO if you did this it would make EDM sound like crap IMO with the M50's

If you had EDM would vocals this would likely make it should horrible. 

EDM doesn't sound very engaging with the M50 at stock levels. When listening with them, I usually apply a bass boost (amp and EQ) with a little attenuation of the treble if the track is too harsh - the M50 has a slightly hot treble that I am not too fond of.

IMO, there are many cans out there that sound better than the M50 for EDM at stock levels.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 33
I think it should be M50,  XB500s EQed (rising W shape or something similiar), Panasonic HTF600s or JVC S500 or S600s EQed (W shape; and if you want earthquake, E6 preferred, I have these cans myself, so I can assist you further if you want)

EDIT: At a 2nd glance I might have gotten too cheap there :D 
but at $100 most headphones are either more neutral or open-back sets. and I don't think you would be happy having bought them and then compared it to those mentioned below. The next step could be DT770s, but they cost some $150+, unless you are willing to buy a second-hand of course.

I ended up with the panasonics. I am kinda disappointed. Do you know of anything I can do to these to make them sound better(besides burn-in)?

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
I ended up with the panasonics. I am kinda disappointed. Do you know of anything I can do to these to make them sound better(besides burn-in)?

What don't you like about the Pannies?
A lot of people upgrade the pads to Beyer velours.

Check this review as I believe it mentions pad changes: http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-htf600-s-step-monitor/reviews/5665

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #25 of 33
+1  Creative Aurvana Live!

They are very comfortable and light weight.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

What's wrong with the sound on your HTF600? For its price, it certainly is a capable performer. Sound and comfort are top notch for what I paid for them. The only downside is its really long cable, but that's another issue altogether. Still, what are you not liking about your cans?

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #27 of 33
What's wrong with the sound on your HTF600? For its price, it certainly is a capable performer. Sound and comfort are top notch for what I paid for them. The only downside is its really long cable, but that's another issue altogether. Still, what are you not liking about your cans?

Ok I will admit I just did a short test when I first got them. I have since burned them in and I am pleasantly surprised. These things are VERY GOOD sounding. Yeah that cord is annoying, but who cares. I can just coil it in my pocket. I also wish it would be a tighter fit on my ears, but it isn't a big deal. After a burn-in, these easily earn a 5/5 for me! I really appreciate your guys' recommendation, seriously.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #28 of 33
Bass heavy cans are the wrong sound for dubstep. Dub step uses a lot of fast switching and bass texture. Most bass heavy cans get that boost at the expense of resolution. There is also a lot going on in the upper midrange and lower mid treble. I haven't heard them but I would bet any money that a lightly modded t50rp would eat most anything at dubstep. I prefer my mdr-v7 over everything I've demoed including the vmoda m80 and the Logitech ue6000. And the little brother, the mdr-v6 is still hard to beat for out and out speed and resolution at that price

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:
Bass heavy cans are the wrong sound for dubstep. Dub step uses a lot of fast switching and bass texture. Most bass heavy cans get that boost at the expense of resolution. There is also a lot going on in the upper midrange and lower mid treble. I haven't heard them but I would bet any money that a lightly modded t50rp would eat most anything at dubstep. I prefer my mdr-v7 over everything I've demoed including the vmoda m80 and the Logitech ue6000. And the little brother, the mdr-v6 is still hard to beat for out and out speed and resolution at that price

The Pannies do indeed provide some good resolution in the mids and highs (surprising for such a cheap headphone), and I definitely agree though on the "ingredients" to properly enjoy dub. My Mad Dogs play them flawlessly.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #30 of 33
Ugh I already bought the pannies. They seem fine to me; I really like them and I am not listening to hardcore dubstep anymore, I created an AWOLNATION pandora station and that's probably my new favorite kid of music right now. These Panasonics pull it off perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back