Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax?
Sep 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #107 of 260
Is it a software upgrade or must it be brought to the distributor? There was a unit selling for around US$6K here but it was the 24/96 version.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #109 of 260
Is it actually getting better though?
Do we need hiRez and does it sound like music anymore?

The none oversampling Dac's and some made of discrete components are being produced in greater numbers.  Even many of the reviewers rate the best reference Dac's as using the old Philips 16 bit chips (Zanden)
A couple of years ago I heard a tube based Dac the STAX X1T which used [size=small]20Bit/8 times over sampling D/A convertor.  It really did sound very nice indeed![/size]

Quote:
 Note that the DAC technology is evolving fast - there is something better coming out almost every year, so it is almost inevitable that one will have to upgrade - an in that regard, DACs offering upgrade options such as PS Audio, Linn or MSB are recommended.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #111 of 260
The DACs are improving mostly in that they are packing more channels on a chip and managing jitter on chip as well.  Like the Sabre which not only has 8 channels but completely throws away the clock, buffers data and feeds the DAC on its own internal clock.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #112 of 260
Delta Sigma DACs are still making a lot of progress, especially the ones that focus on computer playback.  

If you're just looking to run a transport through an R2R, there are plenty of vintage DACs that still sound tremendous.

I love the DAC in my old Sony CDP-C85ES, it's surprisingly good, especially for its age. You can scoop them up on ebay for $100 or less, in mint condition, people just don't care. I have a NIB backup in the closet, for when/if this one dies.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #114 of 260
*****Recommendations Please*****
 ​
 ​
I'm looking for what I call a listeners DAC for critical listing.  What you might call Analytical or Transparent.  I want it be be highly revealing and very detailed.  Any Ideas?

Does the Benchmark DAC1 still fit this bill?

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #115 of 260
Quote:
 ​
 ​
I'm looking for what I call a listeners DAC for critical listing.  What you might call Analytical or Transparent.  I want it be be highly revealing and very detailed.  Any Ideas?

Well, how's about the O2. 
tongue.gif

Isn't the mk2 one of the most reverred DACs around for being detailed but not necessarily analytical?

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #117 of 260
Quote:
 ​
 ​

The Benchmark would fit the bill but it's not a very enjoyable sound IMO.

I think something with the Saber chip would be a better choice, I love my Anedio D1 as you probably know since I like to say so all the time! But I think Audio-GD also makes some saber based DACs with SS output stage - that might be interesting.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB7/NFB7EN.htm

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #120 of 260
Quote:
The Benchmark would fit the bill but it's not a very enjoyable sound IMO.

I think something with the Saber chip would be a better choice, I love my Anedio D1 as you probably know since I like to say so all the time! But I think Audio-GD also makes some saber based DACs with SS output stage - that might be interesting.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB7/NFB7EN.htm

TwoEars,  On this quest I'm not looking for enjoyable sound so to speak.  I'm looking for a revealing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back