Best closed headphone setup for less than $400
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
When i say it i meant the pro 900s

Heya,

Yea, they're expensive, they're the upper tier of the PRO series line by Ultrasone. They're $330 from Amazon. That's within your $400 budget. Leaves room for a Fiio E11. So for $400 you have pretty much the bassiest of bassy headphones, durable, detachable cord, carry hard case, and a sleek design that puts plastic neck jewelry to shame.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #18 of 29
A new suggestion after reading inner fidelity last night: The ue6000 made by logitech. Supposed to be really excellent headphones (tyll prefered them to the k550) and they are only $199.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #19 of 29
Sup brah! You're a year or two younger then me, and not to long ago I was in the same boat as you! I'm a dubstep/house/edm fan as well (My avatar pic was taken at a 12th Planet concert). Good setup for those genres?

Pushing the budget:
V-Moda M-100 (Haven't heard these, but I've used all the other models, and these have received positive feedback so far) - $310
Fiio E11 - $51
Fiio L3 - $9
Total - $370

Saving money:
V-Moda M-80 or LP2 - $200
Fiio E11 - $51
Fiio L3 - $9
Total - $260

Being conservative:
Sony MDR-V6 - $70
Fiio E11 - $51
Fiio L3 - $9
Total - $130

If you want to use the amp with your computer/laptop as well, substitue the E11 in any of those setups for an E17. Includes a Dac that plays well with a computer (at least for the price). Imma make a similar purchase of the M-100 come December to be my new basshead cans. Happy buying!

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Heya,

Yea, they're expensive, they're the upper tier of the PRO series line by Ultrasone. They're $330 from Amazon. That's within your $400 budget. Leaves room for a Fiio E11. So for $400 you have pretty much the bassiest of bassy headphones, durable, detachable cord, carry hard case, and a sleek design that puts plastic neck jewelry to shame.

Very best,

Well said
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
As an owner of the K550, I can say with near certainty that they will not satisfy a bass head. They present bass well but do not feel like they push a lot of air. 

As a former owner of the K550, I couldn't possibly agree more in that they would not satisfy a bass head. I bought them from my local Best Buy's "expensive headphone section," audited them at home and was incredibly unimpressed. I brought them to work the next day to let some of my audiophile work-buddies check them out and they too were incredibly unimpressed.

The K550s are huge and it's very challenging to get a good seal, which means zero bass. I think you could do quite a lot better than these.

I'd recommend the new Sennheiser MOMENTUMs. I own them and have been extremely happy with them. They fit in your price range, are closed, are very stylish, are easily driven from an iPhone, have a bit of a bass bump, and would be well suited to the type of music you listen to. You would most certainly show your friends all sorts of up with these.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #26 of 29
To be fair, the K550s are the best headphones I've ever listened to as far as accurate soundstage reproduction and quality of mids and highs. Even the lows are well rendered. It's simply not a bass heavy phone. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #28 of 29
I own the dt770-80's and have to say they are great for the genres you like, and I have a fiio e11 on its way. The only downside as far as i can see may be the stylish look you are going for. That being said i definitely recommend them. The bass is heavy and sq is phenomenal.
Also, the 770's feel like pillows on your ears.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
The L3 is the cable to plug your phone or music source into the e11.
Yes the e11 will be the amp.

just lurking as usual and i read this. may i ask why the l3 is needed? the e11 comes with a cable already. why do you need a cable that connects through usb? its not going to a dac, so why bother? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back