Best bass heavy headphones
Jun 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #31 of 33
Quote:
I recently did an A/B comparison with the ATH-Pro700MK2, Sony XB1000, Q40 and M50, using a COWON J3 player. The XB1000 had the most bass quantity. If you want to just drown in everything bass and nothing else, the XB1000 offers that unique experience. The ATH-Pro700MK2 slammed the hardest with its ungodly amounts of mid-to-upper bass. The Q40 has a nice evenness through the bass range, producing the best detailed bass. The M50 are boomy and probably the best-sounding headphone but are bass-light compared to the others. (The ATH-WS55 and AKG K181 sound just as nice as the M50 but with even more bass).

The XB1000 has more bass quantity than the PRO700MK2? That's new, as I'm pretty sure the PRO700MK2 has greater quantity than the XB1000. I agree with the description of the PRO700MK2's punch, though. The M50s on the other hand, are rather light on bass, for me. They are generally good headphones, but they'll need an amp to get the bass to shine.

Keep in mind, the COWON player is known to make bad headphones sound good. I wouldn't exactly call the Pro700MK2 or XB1000 good headphones.

So, are they lousy headphones?

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #32 of 33
 I have had the following "bass" headphones, stock DT770 Pro 80, Modded DT770 Pro 80(deep cup V3 darth beyer), Pro 900, XB1000, XB700, LCD-2, and AH-D1100. Out of all of these the 2 that impressed me the most bass wise are the Darth Beyer and the XB700's. The Darth Beyer impresses with just how low of a tone they have. They have the lowest tone I've heard to date on a headphone, and they're also very punchy. The XB700's will impress for the sheer quantity of bass and how they can really rumble. I can't speak to the stock DT770 much because I had those years ago but I do remember them being very good as well. I have the Terminator V4 on order now and will post my impressions on that when they arrive. I would also love to try the D5000's and DX1000's.  

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:
Of the ones mentioned the M50s have good bass. But......the AKG K181 DJ is a virtual ghost here! These will compete with the 780s but bring the perfectly placed textured mids of the AKG lineage. Great big subbass (think 12" sub) that stays clear of the uncolored transparent mids and an accurate treble side that only gets a bit painful if you crank em. And I mean crank em as hard as you can.! These can take anything you throw at em. Not the most comfortable but after 30 other headphone purchases from various manufacturers these are still my reference headphones for everything I want a deeper stronger bass presence. Better than my D2000 And M50 and better mids á la AKG.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back