Best bass heavy headphones
May 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #18 of 33
Q40s are the best for what you described... If your budget is 250 I suggest getting the Q40s plus the Zo2. Also get beyer velour pads for increased comfort and get a couple of monoprice cables.
The whole setup will be at or less than 250 and will give you the most bass coupled with very good mids and hihs...
M50s will not satiate your bass craving IMHO.
Beyer 770s will have excellent subbass but will not have the ear tickling bass amounts you are looking for and with the ZO2 the Q40s will have more bass.

TMA-1s are very dark, but if you like that go ahead but they will have less bass than Q40s with ZO2.
Ultrasones will have emphasized audiophile bass but I feel you will think it is lacking.
The pro 900s are the bassiest ultrasones and the q40s are on par with their level of bass.

Sorry for the semi-unprofessional look, I wrote this on my phone...
If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

May 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #19 of 33
Q40s are the best for what you described... If your budget is 250 I suggest getting the Q40s plus the Zo2. Also get beyer velour pads for increased comfort and get a couple of monoprice cables.
The whole setup will be at or less than 250 and will give you the most bass coupled with very good mids and hihs...
M50s will not satiate your bass craving IMHO.
Beyer 770s will have excellent subbass but will not have the ear tickling bass amounts you are looking for and with the ZO2 the Q40s will have more bass.
TMA-1s are very dark, but if you like that go ahead but they will have less bass than Q40s with ZO2.
Ultrasones will have emphasized audiophile bass but I feel you will think it is lacking.
The pro 900s are the bassiest ultrasones and the q40s are on par with their level of bass.
Sorry for the semi-unprofessional look, I wrote this on my phone...
If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Thank for your help it seems that the q40s have a pretty nice bass. But I'm just not so sure why its so unpopular and not mentioned a lot. So I have a few questions before purchasing it which are: how is the comfort? Is it a little portable? And does it look humongous on your wad like xb500s or does it not look wierd in public because I'm going to be using it in public, lastly is the clamp force right because I want to be able to jump run around etc? Thanks!

May 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #20 of 33
I wouldn't personally recommend Q40 for portable use, they are just so unpractical for portable use IMO due to their big size and they also have these tiny wires sticking out at the sides which may be potentially damaged with portable use unless being careful. Also they seem to be rather sensitive to what amp is paired with them, I don't think they sound overly great ampless but with the right amp (a more aggressive and analytical amp) they have both lots of bass and very good detail for the price.

The clamping is also quite/very tight but it's not causing discomfort to me (glasses-wearers would probably disagree) so they stay extremely securely on the head which I personally appriciate even if I use at home only, I like that secure feel and it feels like some of my other headphones will fall of my head any minute now.

May 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:
I wouldn't personally recommend Q40 for portable use, they are just so unpractical for portable use IMO due to their big size and they also have these tiny wires sticking out at the sides which may be potentially damaged with portable use unless being careful. Also they seem to be rather sensitive to what amp is paired with them, I don't think they sound overly great ampless but with the right amp (a more aggressive and analytical amp) they have both lots of bass and very good detail for the price.

The clamping is also quite/very tight but it's not causing discomfort to me (glasses-wearers would probably disagree) so they stay extremely securely on the head which I personally appriciate even if I use at home only, I like that secure feel and it feels like some of my other headphones will fall of my head any minute now.

Yeah RPG basically summed it up. There are big over all  and those 2 wires are very thin and would require some care. The clamping force however can be mediated with some overnight stretching over a couple of books or a pair of speakers. I think MalVeauX has a couple of picture of himself wearing them in his Q40 review so you can determine how big their size is.

May 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #22 of 33
In the poll, I would vote for the Aiaiai TMA-1. I haven't heard the Q40 yet, though. The TMA-1s are really bassy, dark and punchy.

You forgot the heavy hitters, though. You might want to try the XB500/700, Crossfade LP/LP2, PRO500MK2/700MK2. These cans are much bassier/punchier than those on the list, IMO.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
Audio technica WS55 (if you want solid mid-bass that is, my music doesn't really have much subbass)

Well it's also very good with sub-bass listen to some dubstep with the lovely ws55 it will blow your mind i have the sansa clip+ and man it's awesome especially with dubstep not as deep as xb700 but very good in it's own way

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #26 of 33
You can't go wrong with the Ultrasone HIfi - 780's. They are the only headphones of the group with a real personality. They dont just hit hard they sound amazing at the same time which lets be honest is not an easy thing to do! They don't distort, they don't look like you're working as an air traffic controller (xb500's) and they aren't all hype and over priced like the Beats which I am very happy not to see on your list. I own both the 580's and 780's and will be saving up for the Signature Pros (maybe, 780's are that good). All I seem to listen to these days are Dub and Dance because of what these headphones can do to the music. It brings them to life man and you'll love them. Plus Amazon has them on sale right now well below what you want to spend so that would be my suggestion on the matter. Good luck!

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 33
I recently did an A/B comparison with the ATH-Pro700MK2, Sony XB1000, Q40 and M50, using a COWON J3 player. The XB1000 had the most bass quantity. If you want to just drown in everything bass and nothing else, the XB1000 offers that unique experience. The ATH-Pro700MK2 slammed the hardest with its ungodly amounts of mid-to-upper bass. The Q40 has a nice evenness through the bass range, producing the best detailed bass. The M50 are boomy and probably the best-sounding headphone but are bass-light compared to the others. (The ATH-WS55 and AKG K181 sound just as nice as the M50 but with even more bass).

Keep in mind, the COWON player is known to make bad headphones sound good. I wouldn't exactly call the Pro700MK2 or XB1000 good headphones.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #29 of 33
I voted for athm50 bit i think beyerdynnamic 1350 is best for you. portable and double headband is extra secure.  and the 50 hz squarewave on innerfidelity is one of the straightest ive ever seen

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 33
Of the ones mentioned the M50s have good bass. But......the AKG K181 DJ is a virtual ghost here! These will compete with the 780s but bring the perfectly placed textured mids of the AKG lineage. Great big subbass (think 12" sub) that stays clear of the uncolored transparent mids and an accurate treble side that only gets a bit painful if you crank em. And I mean crank em as hard as you can.! These can take anything you throw at em. Not the most comfortable but after 30 other headphone purchases from various manufacturers these are still my reference headphones for everything I want a deeper stronger bass presence. Better than my D2000 And M50 and better mids á la AKG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back