Best Bass Headphones in The World
Mar 1, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #181 of 198
I suggest you check out purrins CSD plots. Headphone decay is specific to different parts of the frequency range. Bass can decay slower than mids and treble and vice versa. Spots of problematic decay also show up ringing. Longer bass decay results not in sounding fast or slow or any of that ****, but muddiness and bloat.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #182 of 198

Hawaii is a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, fanboy of the JVC's. Read his post. All he cares about is (to use his words) "tight ear ,jaw, side of face vibrating air shoving tight bass." Notice he never talks about any other aspect of their sound. He just raves and raves about how much bass the JVC's have. 

It's like I said earlier, to bassheads, that's what matters. And I'm sure the JVC's are awesome with it. So if you want a pair of headphones that double as a head-massager, the JVC's will scratch that itch. Me, despite loving bass, really prefer to listen to MUSIC, so I'm staying far clear.

I resemble that comment
biggrin.gif

You come from car audio like me. IASCA baby dB dragging and Clarity tests. The JVC 77's are a 1 trick pony and I like that trick. They do it better than Celebrity endorsed cans. I know their limits. I embrace their unique talent. I can out thump anyone with the track in my sig. It's caveman pissing contest stuff but i piss further. Nobody had debated that who has tried me. I am going to meet somebody with Denon Ravers in 2 hours. It's a little dB drag and it's fun as hell. I just bought studio/DJ cans...I might be the first guy on the net with pics of the rig and it is a beautiful sounding rig and very well built. I like music. I competed with Judges and was sponsored. I'm far from a tool.

I read your comment and wondered if you thought it was a passive aggressive swipe???....I gotta say it made me smile. About these cans and that point you nailed it and me.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #183 of 198
  I resemble that comment
biggrin.gif

You come from car audio like me. IASCA baby dB dragging and Clarity tests. The JVC 77's are a 1 trick pony and I like that trick. They do it better than Celebrity endorsed cans. I know their limits. I embrace their unique talent. I can out thump anyone with the track in my sig. It's caveman pissing contest stuff but i piss further. Nobody had debated that who has tried me. I am going to meet somebody with Denon Ravers in 2 hours. It's a little dB drag and it's fun as hell. I just bought studio/DJ cans...I might be the first guy on the net with pics of the rig and it is a beautiful sounding rig and very well built. I like music. I competed with Judges and was sponsored. I'm far from a tool.

I read your comment and wondered if you thought it was a passive aggressive swipe???....I gotta say it made me smile. About these cans and that point you nailed it and me.
wink.gif

If you thought that was passive-aggressive I don't think you know what "passive-aggressive" means. I was pretty overtly criticizing your priorities. :p

The thing is, the celebrity endorsed cans aren't aiming to be a one-trick pony. Beats aren't trying to be giant tub-thumpers that do nothing else. It's wonderful that you can out-thump everyone, but if you're just aiming it to be that contest then it's sort of a case of you gloating about winning a competition that only you are having with people. No matter how wonderful that one trick is, it's a pointless trick if it comes at the expense of the rest of the music.

I don't find dB drags to be particularly interesting outside of science experiments either. Someone tells me they can hit 160 but it's with one of those boxes tuned to 48 and can only do it at the resonant frequency of the car then I wonder what the point is. Okay, that's IMPRESSIVE, but it's not ENJOYABLE. You're turning audio into a contest of numbers, a competition of "power", and that's not any better than the snobby audiophiles who yammer on and on about how their crazy expensive headphones sound 'just like the instruments are there in front of you". 

I'm far from someone who wants flat response headphones, and my car system isn't SQ based (okay, it's a w3 subwoofer someday to be a w6, but we're not talking the true SQ ideas here), and boy howdy do I love teeth-rattling bass... but not at the expense of the rest of the track. Especially with headphones, that's not a really neat trick. So yeah, okay, you have a pair of $70 cans that can blast air harder than anything else. That's probably a lot of fun when you want to sit around listening to sine waves. I'll take music. :p

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #184 of 198
They do make music. I just thought we were talking about bass... The highs are very nicely done and quite pleasant, even on my HA-M55X's, although mids are recessed, but not as badly as beats!! They have better treble than celebrity endorsed cans, better mids(usually) and can push a crap ton of bass. They are my ultimate listening machine. I just adjust the equalizers on the phone for 1930-1940's big band music, and voila! I have great sound!! Even without equalization, the bass does not mix with highs or mids, nor does the bass drown them out, or make sounds become muddled like beats studios do. The bass is just really good. Here is how I'd say they sound in an aspect ratio from bass to mids to highs out of 100. 39:28:33. And since the bass doesn't drown out any of it, and being how the highs are a little above average, with more mids than beats, all the while not mixing the sounds together, I'd say they are worthy of listening to! I prefer them over Sony, sennheiser, denon, and a few more just because of there ability to bring out the low end while still having a shiny, polished top end, and decent middle... Hey Hawaii, you should find a frequency response chart to show him what I'm talking about so he doesn't get the impression they are a muddy, thumping mess like beats. I guess I slightly put an emphasis on bass when I talk about them. Sorry if that gave you the impression that I'm completely a basshead. I'm not. I'm a dubstep/electronic/house/trance artist. I need a good pair of equalized headphones. But for the most accurate bass reproduction I can possibly get, or just to listen to music casually, I choose these JVC's. The only time the bass will be overpowering is if you use artificial bass boost on an amp or equalizer... But ANY headphones will have overpowering bass when you do that!

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #185 of 198
Well... I'm slight basshead sometimes I guess. I have opinions of both bassheads and audiophiles. If you'd like to see what I do with my music, look up DisCHORDDubstep on soundcloud and listen to any one of my 4 released songs!

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #186 of 198
I need a good pair of equalized headphones. But for the most accurate bass reproduction I can possibly get, or just to listen to music casually, I choose these JVC's.

Hm, sorry, but the JVC's aren't anywhere near balanced. For truly accurate bass reproduction you're going to need a headphone that's flat.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #187 of 198
... BASS REPRODUCTION. NOT. SOUND. Lol. :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #189 of 198
I need a good pair of equalized headphones. But for the most accurate bass reproduction I can possibly get, or just to listen to music casually, I choose these JVC's.

Hm, sorry, but the JVC's aren't anywhere near balanced. For truly accurate bass reproduction you're going to need a headphone that's flat.

Not true, necessarily. If were just talking about sine waves then accuracy is kinda meaningless. Electronically produced music with bass lines that are pure tones don't require a flat response for accuracy at all, and in the case of instruments a flat response just means any other sounds from the instrument will theoretically be in balance with the bass tones.

None of this means diddly since the JVC are still just farting bass, but it's worth mentioning that a massively tilted response curve doesn't inherently mean inaccurate unless you make some caveats.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #190 of 198
... BASS REPRODUCTION. NOT. SOUND. Lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, reproduction, as in how close it is to how it will actually sound in real life.

But remember, this is heavily reliant upon how the music was made. What if it was mixed and mastered using headphones that didn't have a flat response curve? You'll end up with an inaccurate reproduction, now won't you?

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #191 of 198
Not true, necessarily. If were just talking about sine waves then accuracy is kinda meaningless. Electronically produced music with bass lines that are pure tones don't require a flat response for accuracy at all, and in the case of instruments a flat response just means any other sounds from the instrument will theoretically be in balance with the bass tones.

Yeah, I was talking more about how accurate the bass is in actual instruments. Balanced headphones will also play back music with the levels that the track was originally mastered to, which is really the same thing as being accurate.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #192 of 198
But remember, this is heavily reliant upon how the music was made. What if it was mixed and mastered using headphones that didn't have a flat response curve? You'll end up with an inaccurate reproduction, now won't you?

If someone's creating tracks with unbalanced headphones and not accounting for that while mastering, chances are that someone isn't worth listening to.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #193 of 198

If someone's creating tracks with unbalanced headphones and not accounting for that while mastering, chances are that someone isn't worth listening to.

+1000

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #194 of 198
I'm accounting for the bass and treble by cutting it down to where I get a flat response, and boosting mids. I'd just like some headphones that are great for music production. I'm looking at Sony V6. Right now. None of my current headphones fit the bill.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #195 of 198
I'm accounting for the bass and treble by cutting it down to where I get a flat response, and boosting mids. I'd just like some headphones that are great for music production. I'm looking at Sony V6. Right now. None of my current headphones fit the bill.

The V6 is okay, but the stock pads are terrible. EDT-231V pads from Beyerdynamic make it into a sonic chameleon with extremely powerful bass and massive soundstage potential. You'd probably like it after the pad swap.

However, if you're willing to go vintage, I would suggest a Pioneer Monitor 10 over the V6; very flat and transparent, sublime soundstaging, great detail, fairly easy to drive. Not the most comfortable headphone but you can put foam padding on the headband to make it better like so:

One of my favorite listens ever, to be honest. It has this remarkable sweetness to the sound that I have never heard in any other headphone. It is however huge, heavy, and as I mentioned before uncomfortable for long listening sessions. So if comfort and looks are a dealbreaker for you, look elsewhere. To be honest I really think people who would let looks be a dealbreaker are vain, insufferable pricks, but to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back