Best Bass Headphones in The World
Mar 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #166 of 198
Just get a great headphone with a flat bass (HE-500 for example?) + good equalizer (EQ the bass to your taste) = best bass headphone for you? 

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #167 of 198
TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Ha sorry. Sometimes I get carried away and end up sounding like an ass. I meant no offense. I truly am sorry.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #168 of 198
Definitely stock D7000s.   I own the Th900s as well and use them far more often, they do sound quite similar to the Lawton modded D7Ks.  But the D7000s have to be the best "basshead" headphones ever created.  The Th900s are more refined and a lot more neutral.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #169 of 198
  Definitely stock D7000s.   I own the Th900s as well and use them far more often, they do sound quite similar to the Lawton modded D7Ks.  But the D7000s have to be the best "basshead" headphones ever created.  The Th900s are more refined and a lot more neutral.

I'm gonna say no. That rolloff under 40Hz is horrible for people who like bass and considering there are bassheads who boost it up on the M100's (the other headphone in this graph) I think it's safe to say the D7000's aren't even close to the ultimate "basshead" headphone.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #170 of 198
  I'm gonna say no. That rolloff under 40Hz is horrible for people who like bass and considering there are bassheads who boost it up on the M100's (the other headphone in this graph) I think it's safe to say the D7000's aren't even close to the ultimate "basshead" headphone.

+10

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #171 of 198
I've noticed when audiophile types talk about "basshead" headphones, they seem to have a completely different set of criteria. Specifically, that "basshead" means "the low frequencies sound really, really pretty". No, what a basshead wants is a stifling amount of bass. The kind where the whole headset vibrates from it.

That's why I have no doubts the JVC reigns supreme in this field. From what I've seen, JVC built those things to produce bass and that's. ALL. They. Do. They're just not going to be particularly enjoyable when it comes to do listening to pretty much aaaaanything that isn't built around that concept. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #172 of 198
  I've noticed when audiophile types talk about "basshead" headphones, they seem to have a completely different set of criteria. Specifically, that "basshead" means "the low frequencies sound really, really pretty". No, what a basshead wants is a stifling amount of bass. The kind where the whole headset vibrates from it.

That's why I have no doubts the JVC reigns supreme in this field. From what I've seen, JVC built those things to produce bass and that's. ALL. They. Do. They're just not going to be particularly enjoyable when it comes to do listening to pretty much aaaaanything that isn't built around that concept. 

Note this isn't a "best basshead headphone" thread, its "best bass headphones in the world", so I assume the OP wants the BEST bass, not the MOST bass, or MOST impact, or etc. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #174 of 198
To even compare the M100s to the D7000s is a joke. The topic here is best sounding bass, not most bass. And the V-Moda M100s don't have the best sounding anything.

Sorry, bit of a misunderstanding there, but the point remains that that insane rolloff kinda precludes it from the best anyway when it's losing so much of that chunk of the spectrum.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #175 of 198
  I've tried the M77X a few times. I wouldn't even pay $30 for them. They sounded pretty sucked out in the mids and the bass was bloated and really lacked control. I was hoping that they'd be a better XB700, but nope.

I call B.S.

I got them and play them with Beats Pro, Beats Studio V-Moda 100, Yamaha 500 ....and the 77's (there are 2 , one labeled "new version" on Amazon) None of those beat the 77 in tight ear ,jaw, side of face vibrating air shoving tight bass.

I call absolute B.S.

Show  me pics of the 77's on your amp. XB 700 ...better? That's flat out crazy talk. If hard impact bass without distortion is what we are talking about then you are in the wrong thread with those 700's

Denon Urban Ravers, SMS Street, VelodyneVtrue, and an assortment of other pre-tuned bassed up drivers give bigger "impact" Bass than the Sony's.  Your comparing apples to oranges. At least debate cans in the same genre' targeting the same audience. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #176 of 198

I've tried the M77X a few times. I wouldn't even pay $30 for them. They sounded pretty sucked out in the mids and the bass was bloated and really lacked control. I was hoping that they'd be a better XB700, but nope.

I call B.S.

I got them and play them with Beats Pro, Beats Studio V-Moda 100, Yamaha 500 ....and the 77's (there are 2 , one labeled "new version" on Amazon) None of those beat the 77 in tight ear ,jaw, side of face vibrating air shoving tight bass.

I call absolute B.S.

Show  me pics of the 77's on your amp. XB 700 ...better? That's flat out crazy talk. If hard impact bass without distortion is what we are talking about then you are in the wrong thread with those 700's

Denon Urban Ravers, SMS Street, VelodyneVtrue, and an assortment of other pre-tuned bassed up drivers give bigger "impact" Bass than the Sony's.  Your comparing apples to oranges. At least debate cans in the same genre' targeting the same audience. 

Uh... what? Calm yourself, it's a headphone. You're acting like he insulted your mother or something.

Though, I don't think you're going to get much worse than the XB700, just look at all the bloat and lack of edge on the 30Hz SW...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB700.pdf

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #177 of 198
Audezes, JVC DX1000, Signature DJ, Fostex TH models. These are my favorite "bass headphones". The DX1000 is a very smooth phone overall and the bass is not that heavy about as much as a LCD2. The fostex and DJ have the higher amount. Sure there are bassier out there but not with this quality.

The Fischer FA011LE is up there.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #178 of 198
  Uh... what? Calm your tᴉts, it's a headphone. You're acting like he insulted your mother or something.

Though, I don't think you're going to get much worse than the XB700, just look at all the bloat and lack of edge on the 30Hz SW...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB700.pdf

Hawaii is a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, fanboy of the JVC's. Read his post. All he cares about is (to use his words) "tight ear ,jaw, side of face vibrating air shoving tight bass." Notice he never talks about any other aspect of their sound. He just raves and raves about how much bass the JVC's have. 

It's like I said earlier, to bassheads, that's what matters. And I'm sure the JVC's are awesome with it. So if you want a pair of headphones that double as a head-massager, the JVC's will scratch that itch. Me, despite loving bass, really prefer to listen to MUSIC, so I'm staying far clear.

Side note: this notion of 'quality bass' is nonsense. If it's under 120Hz there aren't going to be tons of nuances to it. All the sounds you associate with that (the timbre of a pipe organ, the impact of a timpani, the reverberations of a cello string) exist in the middle frequencies. What the 'best bass' headphone would be, would be a headphone that has a thick and distortion-free bass presence but is still capable of delivering the mids and highs with bell clarity and great separation. Obviously the JVC can't do that, but the Denons have such a hard rolloff that even before hearing them I know dang well they won't be proper.

The M100's? I'm hesitant to call them the ultimate anything sonically. I mean they're certainly my favorite of what I've tried and I don't think there is anything better without requiring some hefty amp/DAC hardware, but I'm not going to call them "DA BEST" as a blanket sweep. However, what IS the best would have to have plenty of heft in the low-end. Just saying it sounds "good" is meaningless. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #179 of 198
Exactly what I mean by quality is distortion free coupled with fast driver response. No point is deep extension if its 3% distortion and so slow to decay that its muddying the sound, also applying to low grade mid/upper bass boominess/bloat.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #180 of 198
  Exactly what I mean by quality is distortion free coupled with fast driver response. No point is deep extension if its 3% distortion and so slow to decay that its muddying the sound, also applying to low grade mid/upper bass boominess/bloat.

Let me just say that on this "slow" thing... that's so overstated it's silly. I've been in car audio a lot longer than I've been in headphones and I honestly cannot tell you of a "slow" subwoofer I ever dealt with. Tons of terrible ones (the old description was a "rhino fart" sound), but never 'slow". We're talking an exceptionally teeny driver here. If it's that slow to decay, it's gonna be slow to decay across the boards and literally ALL of the frequencies will be blending together, in which case it's not a bass problem, it's just a bad driver with bad clarity in general.

See, bass isn't MAGIC. It has some extra requirements to get it going right because of the increased motion necessary to emit the sound, but unless there is something CATASTROPHICALLY wrong with the speaker it is not going to have an appreciable slowness to it that is limited to the bass. What IS an issue is when a weaker driver has its bass artificially inflated (distortion and boominess) or when it's done at the expense of the other frequencies. 

IMO, it's a lot easier to get good bass response than people think. It's a VERY narrow band of frequencies. The tricky part is getting it while still keeping punch and clarity in the REST of the range. It's pretty dang easy to make a headphone that can push air hard under 120, there are cheap IEM's that can do it really well. They just sound like crap otherwise because the spectrum as a whole is clouded to make room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back