Best bass headphone under $100
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 56
Well, if you read my original comment, I asked for a bassier type headphone, not a bass dominating headphones. I just figured that it would suit my music more, as it is mainly hip-hop and electronic so yeah. I seem to be getting lots of comments for the HTF's. So that would be ideal?

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 56
We here at HTF600 nation recommend these to everyone at head fi actually..Seriously. They are that good and a bag o chips. These will make you wonder why other HPs cost so damn much. Or why these cost so little. I wonder my self. but I ain't arguing.

I listen to hiphop and Trance myself.. ABSOLUTELY. .you will love these..

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #35 of 56

Quote:
I know it's repetitive, but... OP wants bassy-er sound without muddying up the sound signature. Shouldn't we just release the Kraken and recommend the M50s?

lol. Ya that is the common recommend I suppose but. Would you believe me if I told you The HTF600 are better than the M50s? I know this may sound unbelievable but to me there is no comparison. The M50s metalic artificial highs and recessed mids and small stage have nothing on the HTF600s. The Bass is not as good either.. I told you a while back on my portable bass kings read how I am recommending the HTF600s to everyone.?

Seriously if you have or had a M50 and then take a good listen to the HTF600. You will know what I am talking about..The HTF600 sound more like a $150 -$200 HP. They are by no means your average budget can what so ever..There is a reason why more and more headfiers are getting a HTF600. On fire at the moment actually.. Not one person that has tried them or have them on my thread dislikes them. If anything everyone is gushing about them, They are that good.. All the guys that are saying the XB Sonys for a bassy phone recommend just haven't heard the HTF600 yet.

Check out my thread to see everyones react to getting these. SO far it has been very one sided. In fact I haven't seen a negative feed back yet. Not one.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #38 of 56

Quote:
Holy cow.  Bass light???  I found the CALs to be quite bass heavy in my brief experience with them.  This doesn't bode well....

Well they are ample bass wise. I think perhaps where bass is concerned. The HTF600 is way more dynamic and full than the Cals  Better impact and sub bass by far.. But here is the kick in the but part..Nothing else on the sound spectrum is recessed or missing like other bass heavy phones so you get a very good clean sounding headphone and just sound awesome sauce for any type of music. These would be proper bass heavy phones. You will get yours soon and you will see what all the fuss is about..Prepared to be surprised by a cheap HP like you have never before.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #39 of 56
Ya so I am listening to my CALs... These are good phones..And they are bassy..  But not at the fullness of the HTF600. The bass tonality is not even close. The Command and tonality in the Bass on the HTF600s can only be attained by serious Bass phones. The XB series. The higher end Denons. The higher end Ultrasones perhaps . So while the Cals are correct and balanced well, to my ears they don't come close to the HTF600 in the Bass end at all.

Ciaran Van Don nailed it. They do kinda sound fuzzy compared to the rich fullness of the HTF600s. Save the money and get the HTF600s. As I am hearing them now vs my HTF600 . The HTF600 are better in every single way over the CALs.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #40 of 56
Holy crap. The way people are going on about the HTF's, they sound like god phones for $30. This will definitely be my choice for right now. Unless anyone else has any last minute pointers?

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:
I also suggest the DJ100. I imagine 99% of the people who are not satisfied with the bass didn't have it amped, burned in or want Denon D1100/ XB500 type bass.

This! Against the HTF-600 you lose some impact and bass quantity, but to my ears you get more balanced and clearer sounding mids as a trade off, and even better imaging. They're not bass light at all with the M50 pads. Stock they still have bass impact, but they're just such mid monsters that it kind of gets overshadowed.

Can't go wrong with either though!

edit:
Quote:
Holy crap. The way people are going on about the HTF's, they sound like god phones for $30. This will definitely be my choice for right now. Unless anyone else has any last minute pointers?

Go for it, for $30 they're a champ.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #42 of 56
I've been reading up on this HTF600. Doesn't sound like it would be a good match for the OPs requirements. I read all the reviews and it sounds like it has XB500 or D1100 like bass. To me that is bass overkill and would severely recess the mids. The M50 would be an acceptable match as long as you get the white boxed version which is more balanced. It's mids are very slightly recessed but not too badly. If you have an amp, the DJ100 + M50 pads are a better match. DJ100 isn't bass heavy. No recessed mids to be found at all. IMO I prefer the DJ100 to the M50. M50 is worth $120, but not the $160 or whatever they're asking for now.

Kind of annoying seeing so many people suggesting headphones with massive amounts of bass for those that want a balanced signature with a little extra bass. A headphone that sounds like the XB500/D1100 isn't balanced. I heard both of them.

One headphone that always fell under the radar is the old Maxell DHP-II. Out of all the cheapy headphones I've been suggested on here, this is about the only one I've liked. That thing was FOTM for 5 months and then Maxell discontinued it! I remember it being only $35 and did in fact sound like a $100 headphone. Yes, a Maxell! It had some pretty good bass from what I remember. Still own it and has held up well.

Think I'll stay far, far away from the HTF600. Looks nice, but if it has XB500, HP541 or D1100 bass when it comes to quantity, I'd hate it. The bass on the DT-770 Pro 80 is about my limit. Even the new M50 is pushing it.

So for anyone that knows. How recessed or forward are the mids on the HTF600? Less forward than those of the M50? I'm ok with the mids on the D2000 and M50. Not recessed too badly. At least not on the newer M50 I have.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #43 of 56
How's the timbre/tonality on the HTFs vs. Denon D1001/CAL!? Could the HTF's be almost as good as the D2000? How do they compare to the Ultrasone PRO series in overall bass quantity/impact, instrument separation, and soundstage? And if it was up to you, how much should these cans really be? Just trying to figure out which ball park/tier these are supposed to fit in with when it comes to other cans and if I do buy these, is it worth it to get these over some higher-end Ultrasones in the future. Anyway, I realize these are quite a few questions lol - I appreciate anyone who wants to take a shot and answer some of these for me. Thanks. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #44 of 56
It doesn't have overblown bass. You can trust me, I loved the KRK 6400 :D The bass on the HTF600 is very balanced, and the mids are loud and clear and just as present as the bass. The treble is *slightly* rolled off, but it has a great sparkling quality to it -- and this is without the velours. Talk of the HTF600 being a "basshead" can is really overblown. They don't even reach *that* low, maybe around 50hz at normal volume levels if I had to guess, and the impact and presence are in line with the mids. No creep or muddiness.

Quote:
Think I'll stay far, far away from the HTF600. Looks nice, but if it has XB500, HP541 or D1100 bass when it comes to quantity, I'd hate it. The bass on the DT-770 Pro 80 is about my limit. Even the new M50 is pushing it.

So for anyone that knows. How recessed or forward are the mids on the HTF600? Less forward than those of the M50? I'm ok with the mids on the D2000 and M50. Not recessed too badly. At least not on the newer M50 I have.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #45 of 56

Quote:
I've been reading up on this HTF600. Doesn't sound like it would be a good match for the OPs requirements. I read all the reviews and it sounds like it has XB500 or D1100 like bass. To me that is bass overkill and would severely recess the mids. The M50 would be an acceptable match as long as you get the white boxed version which is more balanced. It's mids are very slightly recessed but not too badly. If you have an amp, the DJ100 + M50 pads are a better match. DJ100 isn't bass heavy. No recessed mids to be found at all. IMO I prefer the DJ100 to the M50. M50 is worth $120, but not the $160 or whatever they're asking for now.

Kind of annoying seeing so many people suggesting headphones with massive amounts of bass for those that want a balanced signature with a little extra bass. A headphone that sounds like the XB500/D1100 isn't balanced. I heard both of them.

One headphone that always fell under the radar is the old Maxell DHP-II. Out of all the cheapy headphones I've been suggested on here, this is about the only one I've liked. That thing was FOTM for 5 months and then Maxell discontinued it! I remember it being only $35 and did in fact sound like a $100 headphone. Yes, a Maxell! It had some pretty good bass from what I remember. Still own it and has held up well.

Bass is astoundingly controlled and tonality on a level that is more similar to the D2000 than a Cal. And the mids are forward more so than the D2000s.. Not as smooth sounding but more forward for sure. The highs are very nice as well when using Beyer velour pads. Very nice set of cans for the money.. These make the previous kicker budget cans seem weak in comparison in every way. Everything on the sounds of the HTF600s are better in every way.

Quote:
How's the timbre/tonality on the HTFs vs. Denon D1001/CAL!? Could the HTF's be almost as good as the D2000? How do they compare to the Ultrasone PRO series in overall bass quantity/impact, instrument separation, and soundstage? And if it was up to you, how much should these cans really be? Just trying to figure out which ball park/tier these are supposed to fit in with when it comes to other cans and if I do buy these, is it worth it to get these over some higher-end Ultrasones in the future. Anyway, I realize these are quite a few questions lol - I appreciate anyone who wants to take a shot and answer some of these for me. Thanks. 
biggrin.gif

Let me just post another headfier that just got these. The Denon D2000 is clearly a higher end can there is no question but musicality I would actually put it at a similar level.. I would put the sound value at $150-$200. Some even think more so.
  1. Tharbamar
  2. badge_junior.v1305918899.png
  4. online
  1. 3 Posts. Joined 9/2011

I forgot to say few things, this HP do not need an amp to sounds good, I was playing it straight from iPhone 4 (No EQ) and MacBook Pro, really shines the music that I play with ( mostly Rock,Pop,Trance,HIp Hop, Heavy Rock & some Blues ) I also tried HTF600 with my portable amp iBasso D2 Boa and it does sound little more cleaner and more controlled,not by much but less dynamic sound stage to me overall with amp, It is sound great without amping anyway.

I love My D5000 but man this HTF600 can also let me enjoy every bit of my needs with HP. It's like having a little pretty mistress without everyone knowing :)

When I'm back home I will introduced it to my best friend with Sennheizer and Audio-Technica HP's and another friend who's not happy with his Beats Pros, want to hear what they gonna say and let them guess the price of this HP :)

BTW: I paid $72 with velour pads and overnight shipping from Amazon because I wanted to take it with me to my trip.

Souji who owns the Pro900 seem to love the HTF600s.. The highs are cleaner and more extended on the HTF600 using the Velour pads vs the cals.. I have the cals there is no comparison whatsoever the HTF600 are supperior in every way.. It out warms the cals and out bass them as well.. Spend $30 and get $150-$200 HP easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back