Best bass headphone under $100
Oct 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 56
Please take a good look at my thread...these will surprise you more than any other headphone you have bought. I am willing to bet on it.

I also own the AKG 518LE.. I reviewed them here. It is kinda dumb they threw on that thick foam insert inside the driver masking the sounds. I have no idea why anyone would do that. But anyhow..They don't compare.. Those would just have some bass. .The HTF600 has outstanding bass.. They will shake your ears. I have guys on my thread that own Dre Beat pros, studios, HD650s,Pro900s.. All of them end up loving the HTF600..Astounding set of cans.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650/570#post_7827060

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 56

Quote:
Im not sure about the Pro dj100. Some people were not satisfied by its bass. 

Take a look at the Shure 750dj. They have good bass response and details. 

I also suggest the DJ100. I imagine 99% of the people who are not satisfied with the bass didn't have it amped, burned in or want Denon D1100/ XB500 type bass.
The DJ100 has as much bass as possible without sacrificing the mids. The bass doesn't recessed the mids or make anything less clear like the XB500 does.

So..without an amp I don't like to suggest the DJ100. A larger mp3 player will do the trick. I had lots of luck with a Sansa View and Fiio E5 lately though! I was surprised at how well it worked.
With just the View, there is not enough volume.

M50 pads are a must to get the best bass and sound quality. Not required I guess, but it's a nice upgrade.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #18 of 56
I don't understand all the suggestions for the XB500. The excessive bass bleeds into the mids and makes everything less clear.
Whatever you do, don't get the XB500 (if you want them to meet your requirements) unless you're willing to EQ them.

The sound quality without EQ is pretty horrible IMO. I'm no basshead though and like my mids/highs.

I use an EQ and when you do this, they're worth the $40-$50.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 56
So basically i've narrowed it down to the grado's, the xb500, and the htf600. which one would be the best so far? 
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #23 of 56
Could also save up a tiny bit more and try to find a used Beyer DT-770 Pro 80. New they're around $167, but used maybe $100 if you get lucky.
With 5 hours of use the bass isn't too extreme. They do have somewhat recessed mids, but not too badly.

DT-990 Pro also might be looking into, but I haven't heard it. New they're around the same price.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 56

Quote:
Creative Aurvana Live

Seems I always forget that one. It gets my suggestion too and is often on sale for under $65!!

Another one that has decent bass is the AKG K240 Studio, but it requires an amp. It's also semi-open and runs about $100.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 56
The Creative Aurvana Live are definitely not a bass headphone, they are very warm and fuzzy in the bass area to my ears anyway and Grado's would be on the bright side of things as their sound signature tends to be quite treble happy.  I would listen to Dsnuts as he has a great selection of bass cans and knows what he's talking about.  I would prob get the Panasonic HTF600 as they are meant to be a good bass budget can, I actually have them on order.  Your other options would have to be AKG K518 or XB500 for nice rumbly bass and if you want something a bit more expensive the Audio Technica WS55 solid bass and Pioneer HDJ 500 would be worth a look or you could get the JVC HA M750 which I have and they are very cheap and have a nice good thump to them.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #27 of 56

Quote:
So basically i've narrowed it down to the grado's, the xb500, and the htf600. which one would be the best so far? 
confused_face(1).gif

HTF600 with velour pads.

No contest. And I've had all these headphones. The Panasonic seriously eats their lunch, retains mids & treble, is smooth, comfortable, inexpensive, and bassy as all get out without being a mess.

Very best,

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 56
I'm actually ordering these sometime this week

Quote:
HTF600 with velour pads.

No contest. And I've had all these headphones. The Panasonic seriously eats their lunch, retains mids & treble, is smooth, comfortable, inexpensive, and bassy as all get out without being a mess.

Very best,

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 56
There is a trend on Head-Fi: we all have a pre-determined reply to any thread asking for a bassy headphone. Read the posts above, it's all "YOU HAVE TO TRY THESE" or "everyone who tried these and didn't think they have enough bass has hearing problems". The thing is, the OP doesn't require that much generous amounts of bass, just a bassy-er sound. I do not recommend the Sony XB series exactly because they are bass monsters. It might be fun for a few months, but once you start realizing there's more to music than the low end - and let's face it, everyone's musical taste changes - you will want those highs and mids. I say try the SRH750, and if you think they have too much bass (they don't have that much, but maybe you think so, OP) then try the other suggestions, although their mids and highs are still very good for a DJ headphone. The AKG K518 didn't surprise me that much when I heard them. I haven't tried the Panasonic DJ line, but apparently it's very good.

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #30 of 56
Agreed. Buy them.

Quote:
HTF600 with velour pads.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back