Best Amp for Around $100?
May 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MetaLicca

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's (my first pair of "audiophile" headphones), and now I'm looking to get a portable amp to go with it. I know absolutely nothing about amps right now, as I just recently started getting into high quality audio. I was wondering though, what's the best portable amp around for around $100, and, since I'm only using HD 428's, will an amp even be worth it yet, or should I wait until I get some higher quality headphones? Thanks.

May 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Here are a few thread's on the same topic, do a little research to find out more
bigsmile_face.gif

May 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 7
It is better to search for an amp that can boost the bass because all HD 4xx series of Sennheiser completely lacks of bass..
I mean that it is present but not powerful enough..
This is the main reason for you to get an amp..
But if you like the sound as it is then ignore everything i wrote above...

May 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Possibilities:

- iBasso T3 or T4  (clean, uncolored sound - tiny case - $120)
- PA2V2  (warm-ish - not terribly portable - $70) 
- one of several CMoy-in-Altoids homemade amps  (usually warm, esp with bass boost - $50-75)
- SoundMagic A10  (warm-bassy - $70)
- Fiio E11 (release date June-ish 2011)  (powerful, with bass boost - $60-ish)

Early reviews of E11 pre-release models put it as very powerful and very good sounding.

May 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys, I'll check all this out. One more question, do these amps come with a DAC built in, or is that something I have to purchase seperately? Also, do I even really need a DAC? I'm still a little unsure about what those are.

May 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll check all this out. One more question, do these amps come with a DAC built in, or is that something I have to purchase seperately? Also, do I even really need a DAC? I'm still a little unsure about what those are.

What player you use?
Are you planning to connect the amp with your pc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back