Beats Pro vs Studio help
Apr 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #61 of 99

Quote:
I highlighted the nonsense in your post. I don't usually do this, but you had it coming

1) You seem to think everyone who doesn't want a crappy subwoofer attached to their ears just sits at home sipping wine and listening to Beethoven. I should respect your opinion, but I don't, and here's why: I like listening to really heavy stuff (i.e. The Banner), and enjoy doing so on good headphones. It's not that I'm a snob, or that my headphones are incredibly expensive. All my gear put together wouldn't reach 300$, and my headphones aren't even that neutral (SRH750), so I fall far from your stereotype.

2) If you feel like analytical = boring, I am very sorry to say that you probably won't experience true musical bliss. Maybe you are happy with fun sound, and good for you, but for a lot of members here, the ability to listen to something and actually feeling like it's being played in front of them is much better. I like colored sound too, but I really understand the wonders of analytical sound, and I seriously doubt people would pay thousands of dollars if they weren't having fun.

3) Analytical sound is fine. Fun sound is fine. There's nothing wrong with emphasizing certain parts of the sound, if you like it. But there is a huge problem with doing it badly, and that, associated with the overpricing you mentioned, is why most of us disregard the Beats as headphones. I don't think people here have a problem with fun sound, and if they do they should really lighten up. I think most just have a problem with bad coloring of the sound

Now I shall put on my monocle and enjoy my Chateau Lafitte while the 9th Symphony fills up my mansion.

Haha I knew this would happen.

1) When I mentioned classical it wasn't an attack on that genre or bashing people who listen to it. I just picked one of the genres that does not rely that heavily on huge bass. The reason I added that part was because in a lot of the beats-bashing parties on some of the threads, I notice many of the people don't even listen to the types of music that sound best on beats. That's like me listening to the most neutral pair of headphones in the world and saying they suck because there wasn't enough bass. I would have no right to judge those headphones if I didn't listen to what they sound best with.
2) Sure, analytical sounding is fine, but some need to realize that is not what everyone wants. Once again in these beats-bashings I see people who say the bass is too much blah blah blah. Most of these entry level listeners who first consider beats will not want analytical sounding headphones. It's OKAY to like the analytical music, but don't critique a headphone not meant for that and then call it crappy. That is where my problem lies.
3) Have you listened to the pros? "Crappy subwoofer attached to he head"? Okay, number one, you really don't like that much bass or music with it. Or number two, you've never listened to the pros and you're talking about the studios. No that is not $400 bass though. I can't argue with you on being overpriced. Like I said in my post, I agree that it is outrageous. I would never buy a pair until money started to grow on the trees in my front yard and I could buy whatever I wanted.

I'm sorry if you took this as an attack on people who listen to different types of music or like different types of headphones, but that was not the point. The problem is with those that feel they have to critique a headphone that simply isn't made for what they listen to. In many people's minds, the beats color their hip-hop beautifully. To others, they may want to rip their eardrums out. Fair enough, just don't judge something not built for what you like and say it's terrible. And this one's for you, good sir. Go home and listen to your classical music. 
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #62 of 99
Well.. if we're still on topic, I may like to add that the beats PROS are not very comfortable, when compared to the STUDIOS

-they are heavy
-they dont fit that well
-the pads are a little small, dont cover my entire ear

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #63 of 99
This is the thing that makes my head hurt, and I've seen it repeated countless times in these Beats theads.

Yes, the Beats are designed for rap.  Yes, they are adequate at reproducing rap, if your idea of proper reproduction is driving around in a beat-up Geo Metro with some no-name 18" subs (with the same motor assembly as the 8" sub the same company makes) being driven by a junk amp, in a generic 4th order bandpass box designed to do nothing but bloat the 45-65hz frequencies.

If you want muddled, gloppy, and bloated bass and nothing else in your rap, the Beats will do fine.  If you'd actually like to hear something other than a close resemblance to Rosie O'Donnell three hours after destroying a Taco Bell menu, listen to something other than the Beats.  One-trick ponies that can't even do their sole trick right are about as useful as magnets at an ICP concert.

I'll toss it in, too - I'm a basshead.  I love my HFI-780s.  I love my Dynphase Sixty cans - which have more bass ability than any headphone I have ever heard.  Neither are anywhere near "neutral" or "flat", but I still love them both.  I don't listen to classical much (can't stand most of it).  There are many, many, many headphones less expensive than the Beats that will sound much better and still have a massive amount of bass quantity; but there's also a lot of bass quality, something none of the Beats have.  High-end cans (and even mid-level cans) aren't only for wine snobs who listen to nothing but Stravinsky, Mahler, Bach, and Mozart.  So why spend an inordinate amount of money on a set of cans that only really "work" for one genre of music, and even then, don't work very well?

Quote:
I noticed that you asked for help deciding between two pairs of Dre Beats...not Beats and something else. A quick peruse of this forum will let you see that Dre Beats are not respected here. I think that the "avoid Dre Beats" crew overreacts to the very sound of the name. I also feel that Dre Beats are unfairly compared to cans out of its genre. Beats are made by Dre for the type of music that Dre creates to be heard the way he created it. It is not for Ludwig Von Cliburn's High Mass At Dawn On Windham Hill.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #64 of 99

Quote:

If you want muddled, gloppy, and bloated bass and nothing else in your rap, the Beats will do fine.  If you'd actually like to hear something other than a close resemblance to Rosie O'Donnell three hours after destroying a Taco Bell menu, listen to something other than the Beats.  One-trick ponies that can't even do their sole trick right are about as useful as magnets at an ICP concert.

LOL

@ slapshot (I didn't quote because it would make my own post tl;dr)
I figured you weren't bashing on analytical listeners =) and I'm inclined to agree with you, but I don't think this this community really hates colored headphones. Look at all the recommendations the XB700 get, and they are simply bass monsters. The Ultrasone Pro900 are very well regarded and from what I've read, they go pretty deep too. I think the problem is more of the fact that the Beats screw up the music, not just emphasize certain parts of it.

I mean, imagine we're at a museum, and looking at Renaissance paintings. And I say "I really like the shades of red, how about we make those stand out?" so we hire a painter and he starts applying fresh red paint. In the end, we emphasized the red. Then this gentlemen with a monocle and a top hat comes along and says "why good Lord, you just ruined this painting" - in my metaphor, he's a critical listener. Well for me, the painting looks better this way, and if it's my painting, it's my problem.
However, in my opinion, and from what I've read some people agree, the problem isn't that the Beats add too much red to the painting - a lot more headphones do that. In the Studios/Solos it's more that they rip out the entire painting and leave only the red parts. In the Pros, you actually end up with a pretty good painting (I don't think they're the subwoofers, in that case I was talking about the Studios), but you have to pay the artist a small fortune! (i.e. they are expensive, duh!). I like applying red paint, but I hate smearing the rest of the painting. It's a freakish metaphor, but it was the best I could come up with
rolleyes.gif

Yes, they are hated. No, maybe they aren't the worst bang-for-buck out there. In my case, the hatred derives more from the constant statements both from Dre and from his customers that the Beats are the best thing ever. Oh and please, don't go out into museums putting paint on paintings and then say I made you do it! I'm too fragile for jail.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #65 of 99

Quote:
This is the thing that makes my head hurt, and I've seen it repeated countless times in these Beats theads.

Yes, the Beats are designed for rap.  Yes, they are adequate at reproducing rap, if your idea of proper reproduction is driving around in a beat-up Geo Metro with some no-name 18" subs (with the same motor assembly as the 8" sub the same company makes) being driven by a junk amp, in a generic 4th order bandpass box designed to do nothing but bloat the 45-65hz frequencies.

I'll toss it in, too - I'm a basshead.  I love my HFI-780s.  I love my Dynphase Sixty cans - which have more bass ability than any headphone I have ever heard.  Neither are anywhere near "neutral" or "flat", but I still love them both.  I don't listen to classical much (can't stand most of it).  There are many, many, many headphones less expensive than the Beats that will sound much better and still have a massive amount of bass quantity; but there's also a lot of bass quality, something none of the Beats have.  High-end cans (and even mid-level cans) aren't only for wine snobs who listen to nothing but Stravinsky, Mahler, Bach, and Mozart.  So why spend an inordinate amount of money on a set of cans that only really "work" for one genre of music, and even then, don't work very well?

You've got my attention. Honestly it is a bit hard to find headphones under $200 that have a ton of bass quantity in my opinion. You say you are a basshead though so I feel like I can trust you more than the average person recommending bassy headphones. I'm sick of people recommending headphones like the M50 as bass monsters. What would you recommend around that price point? Because I don't know who to listen to when it comes to this subject and most of us don't have the luxery of trying everything out.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #66 of 99

Quote:
LOL

@ slapshot (I didn't quote because it would make my own post tl;dr)
I figured you weren't bashing on analytical listeners =) and I'm inclined to agree with you, but I don't think this this community really hates colored headphones. Look at all the recommendations the XB700 get, and they are simply bass monsters. The Ultrasone Pro900 are very well regarded and from what I've read, they go pretty deep too. I think the problem is more of the fact that the Beats screw up the music, not just emphasize certain parts of it.

I mean, imagine we're at a museum, and looking at Renaissance paintings. And I say "I really like the shades of red, how about we make those stand out?" so we hire a painter and he starts applying fresh red paint. In the end, we emphasized the red. Then this gentlemen with a monocle and a top hat comes along and says "why good Lord, you just ruined this painting" - in my metaphor, he's a critical listener. Well for me, the painting looks better this way, and if it's my painting, it's my problem.
However, in my opinion, and from what I've read some people agree, the problem isn't that the Beats add too much red to the painting - a lot more headphones do that. In the Studios/Solos it's more that they rip out the entire painting and leave only the red parts. In the Pros, you actually end up with a pretty good painting (I don't think they're the subwoofers, in that case I was talking about the Studios), but you have to pay the artist a small fortune! (i.e. they are expensive, duh!). I like applying red paint, but I hate smearing the rest of the painting. It's a freakish metaphor, but it was the best I could come up with
rolleyes.gif

Yes, they are hated. No, maybe they aren't the worst bang-for-buck out there. In my case, the hatred derives more from the constant statements both from Dre and from his customers that the Beats are the best thing ever. Oh and please, don't go out into museums putting paint on paintings and then say I made you do it! I'm too fragile for jail.

Fair enough, I also hate the beats fanboys that think they are the greatest things ever made. For that price, you can find so much better headphones, but they are too ignorant to do some research before buying. The studios are terrible, build quality and all. But the pros are a step in the right direction... except for the pricing. Gotta love america. Make something, slap a famous person's name on it, advertise the hell out of it, and it's automatically golden.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #67 of 99
If you want something that has insane bass, I don't know if they really exist in the headphone world.  Could just be, for monster bass, I'm used to my old car systems (windshield crackers), and while bass in headphones can go very deep, it doesn't have nearly the tactile impact and response that real, big-cone subwoofers that move huge air produce.

That aside, the HFI-780s are great if you want a nice amount of bass that rolls in transparently with the midrange.  They're not really thumpy, impact-bass cans - they're great for "neo-jazz" like Nik Bartsch, and all things metal, and they do great with dubstep, too...as long as you aren't expecting brain-shaking bass.  While I haven't heard them, the Sony XB700 is also supposed to be a bass monster - something I'd consider more in line as a direct comparison with the Beats than the Ultrasones are; likewise, I haven't heard them but the Pro 900 cans are supposed to do bass well.  The XB1000s are also bass cans, but from the reviews I've seen, it's mixed as to whether they have more bass quantity than the XB700s.

Since they're not in production (since the 70s, I think), it's hard to recommend since they can be hard to find, but the Dynaphase Sixty headphones are extremely good when it comes to bass quantity.  It's not as tight and nuanced as the HFI-780 bass, but it just goes...and goes...and goes.  The Beats are a little finish hammer compared to the 8lb sledge that are the Sixty cans.  Caveat - I think these beasts weigh something like 1.5-2lbs.  If you can find (and beat the snipers) on ebay, these normally go for $30-70, depending on condition.

Much more expensive than anything mentioned, but the LCD-2 has very deep, very textured, well-mannered bass - there's a lot of it, but it rolls in perfectly with the rest of the music.

For easily-available, sub-$200 headphones with a clean emphasis on bass, out of what I've heard, I'd be hard-pressed to not recommend the HFI-780.  The 580s may also be worth looking into - from what I've read, they retain the bass nature of the 780s, but cut down on some of the treble, which can lead to a perceived increase in bass levels.

Quote:
You've got my attention. Honestly it is a bit hard to find headphones under $200 that have a ton of bass quantity in my opinion. You say you are a basshead though so I feel like I can trust you more than the average person recommending bassy headphones. I'm sick of people recommending headphones like the M50 as bass monsters. What would you recommend around that price point? Because I don't know who to listen to when it comes to this subject and most of us don't have the luxery of trying everything out.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #68 of 99
Sorry I have yet to fully compare the Pro's to the main Beats, but from the metal design I would think the Pros to be much more durable, yet heavier. Since they're more expensive, they may sound better, but know this is not often the case. Beats tend to be on display in a lot of places, including places like your neighborhood Best Buy (I see them all the time at airports!). The Monster Beats, and I presume the Pro's as well (but not the Solo's), have a decent potential, but as people say, only in the $100-$200 range. For $400 you can get some pretty top-notch equipment, and my highest suggestion is to work your way into head-fi before taking that plunge. Look at what you like and try some headphones out, or get a good pair of bass headphones that are advise and since you have the extra change lying around maybe peek at some nice amplifiers that are suggested on the forums. You've already gotten plenty of suggestions for headphones, so I won't continue with suggestions since I only happen to have one pair of good headphones and those are the Shure 750dj's. I think I will stand that bass-heavy headphones are ones that are some in the Denon line (don't know anything about it), the Sennheiser HD 25's (I and ii versions, plus an Adidas styling edition), Shure DJ line (750's and 550's), Sony XB (the 500's and 700's are most frequently suggested), and many of the DJ-oriented headphones are bass oriented, just so you know.

If you are heart-set on Beats, I might go with the Pros just because they look much more durable, but I highly suggest you demo them, as Beats are easily accessible for demoing and that is the best way for determining it. If you like music, look into the suggestions of me and my fellow forumers, but if you want the Beats for the brand name and styling, go for it, but you are mowed down when it comes to sound quality for the price you pay. P.S. The Audio Technica M50's that I noticed were suggested are not, I repeat not, basshead headphones. Beats are what you would call “colored” headphones (no racism intended), and they more-or-less warp the music as to emphasize the bass and thump in it. M50's are not colored, they are highly balanced and unbiased, and you will probably hate them if you are truly heart set on the sound signature in Beats.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #69 of 99

Quote:
If you want something that has insane bass, I don't know if they really exist in the headphone world.  Could just be, for monster bass, I'm used to my old car systems (windshield crackers), and while bass in headphones can go very deep, it doesn't have nearly the tactile impact and response that real, big-cone subwoofers that move huge air produce.

That aside, the HFI-780s are great if you want a nice amount of bass that rolls in transparently with the midrange.  They're not really thumpy, impact-bass cans - they're great for "neo-jazz" like Nik Bartsch, and all things metal, and they do great with dubstep, too...as long as you aren't expecting brain-shaking bass.  While I haven't heard them, the Sony XB700 is also supposed to be a bass monster - something I'd consider more in line as a direct comparison with the Beats than the Ultrasones are; likewise, I haven't heard them but the Pro 900 cans are supposed to do bass well.  The XB1000s are also bass cans, but from the reviews I've seen, it's mixed as to whether they have more bass quantity than the XB700s.

Since they're not in production (since the 70s, I think), it's hard to recommend since they can be hard to find, but the Dynaphase Sixty headphones are extremely good when it comes to bass quantity.  It's not as tight and nuanced as the HFI-780 bass, but it just goes...and goes...and goes.  The Beats are a little finish hammer compared to the 8lb sledge that are the Sixty cans.  Caveat - I think these beasts weigh something like 1.5-2lbs.  If you can find (and beat the snipers) on ebay, these normally go for $30-70, depending on condition.

Much more expensive than anything mentioned, but the LCD-2 has very deep, very textured, well-mannered bass - there's a lot of it, but it rolls in perfectly with the rest of the music.

For easily-available, sub-$200 headphones with a clean emphasis on bass, out of what I've heard, I'd be hard-pressed to not recommend the HFI-780.  The 580s may also be worth looking into - from what I've read, they retain the bass nature of the 780s, but cut down on some of the treble, which can lead to a perceived increase in bass levels.

I may have to try the 780's then, do they have more bass than the 580's or about same? I really wish I could buy the XB700's but I can't bring myself to do it. I wouldn't be using them for home use only and I don't want to be out and about looking like I have two giant donuts strapped to my head. Sound is definitely more important than looks, but to a degree. Sometimes looks can be that big of a turn off. I know some that love the XB series and I am happy for them, but I just can't bring myself to buying them because I hate the look.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #70 of 99

Quote:
Sorry I have yet to fully compare the Pro's to the main Beats, but from the metal design I would think the Pros to be much more durable, yet heavier. Since they're more expensive, they may sound better, but know this is not often the case. Beats tend to be on display in a lot of places, including places like your neighborhood Best Buy (I see them all the time at airports!). The Monster Beats, and I presume the Pro's as well (but not the Solo's), have a decent potential, but as people say, only in the $100-$200 range. For $400 you can get some pretty top-notch equipment, and my highest suggestion is to work your way into head-fi before taking that plunge. Look at what you like and try some headphones out, or get a good pair of bass headphones that are advise and since you have the extra change lying around maybe peek at some nice amplifiers that are suggested on the forums. You've already gotten plenty of suggestions for headphones, so I won't continue with suggestions since I only happen to have one pair of good headphones and those are the Shure 750dj's. I think I will stand that bass-heavy headphones are ones that are some in the Denon line (don't know anything about it), the Sennheiser HD 25's (I and ii versions, plus an Adidas styling edition), Shure DJ line (750's and 550's), Sony XB (the 500's and 700's are most frequently suggested), and many of the DJ-oriented headphones are bass oriented, just so you know.

If you are heart-set on Beats, I might go with the Pros just because they look much more durable, but I highly suggest you demo them, as Beats are easily accessible for demoing and that is the best way for determining it. If you like music, look into the suggestions of me and my fellow forumers, but if you want the Beats for the brand name and styling, go for it, but you are mowed down when it comes to sound quality for the price you pay. P.S. The Audio Technica M50's that I noticed were suggested are not, I repeat not, basshead headphones. Beats are what you would call “colored” headphones (no racism intended), and they more-or-less warp the music as to emphasize the bass and thump in it. M50's are not colored, they are highly balanced and unbiased, and you will probably hate them if you are truly heart set on the sound signature in Beats.

i have tried and compared the shure srh750dj and the beats pros side by side, i preferred the beats pros. they sounded clearer to me. but they were also 3 times the price. also the beats pros were much more durable. i haven't tried many bass heavy cans to help you but i would agree with looking into the shure srh750dj. it may or may not be what your after. but i will warn you they are uncomfortable and some are aesthetically unappealing.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #71 of 99
I have owned the Pros, and heard the Studios. I do not have the same "beats hate" that is so strong here with so many (presumably that have not heard them, though the need to do so is very small). I did however "see the light" many months back.

The Pros will have less bass, as they are a better over all headphone. In fact, they are pretty good. The Pros had a more detailed, cleaner sound, the Studios are active noise canceling (which to me is a detraction, it causes me ear fatigue and the sound is unpleasant) and way bass heavy, but "quantity bass", not quality bass.

They (the Pros) are much heavier (much), you can plan on about a week before you get used to their weight.
The build quality is exceptional, except for the cups, mediocre leather.. comfortable, but nothing special.

Neither of these cans are worth their price tag, nor are they close. I can say the Pro is a good set of headphones, but I cannot recommend it due to it's price tag (and I have come to conclude that a giant red "B" on the side of your head is just uncouth). There are much better options out there for way less money, or exponentially better option for the same, or slightly more money.

Something way better sounding in the same price range? Ultrasones, Dennons, Beyers... look at the models in your price range, you *will* *not* *be* sorry.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #72 of 99
The beats aren't really energetic nor are they bassy. They are inaccurate and sound bad for all types of music.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #73 of 99

Quote:
The beats aren't really energetic nor are they bassy. They are inaccurate and sound bad for all types of music.

like i said i disagree as the pros are actually decent. not $400 decent but still decent.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #74 of 99

Quote:

I would certainly consider the sound produced by them as bassy. Just very exaggerated and muddy bass, as quoted "quantity, not quality."

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #75 of 99

Quote:

Not that I truly contest this, but... what was your audition with the Beats Pro like? I had them for over a month and listened to most genres of music on them.
They certainly don't lack bass... they just have "bad" bass.

On their own, price aside, marketing aside, they really are decent headphones. They just do not warrant the price, and there are much better options to be had for better sound, better bass, and a more comfortable headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back