Beats By Dre: The Secrets
Nov 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #121 of 173
The tours have a sound signature similar to the XBs. Even their frequency graph look similar.
For some reason anything plugged to my phone have terrible bass...Even Beats and XB give pathetic bass.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #125 of 173

Quote:
Further to my previous post, looks and celebrity appeal sell. It's unfathomable to me and frankly disgusts me sometimes, but it's incontrovertible. Sad as it is, you just can't make people care or notice the difference in things for which they lack the sophistication. And I mean that in the true sense of the word, not the snobbish one: most people simply lack the ear to appreciate hifi, in much the same way somebody could show me a table full of $1000+ baseball cards and I couldn't care less. On the other hand, they do want to own equipment that they believe is classified as hifi, for the bragging rights and appearance.

Take a look at my beyerdynamic DT880. Most people would wonder why I had such an "old," ugly headphone. Sadly, put it on their heads, and then they get it. But by the time most people put an expensive pair of headphones on their head, it says Bose or Monster on the box. Looks are important. The AKG K701 was, paradoxically, a good choice for Quincy-ization because, at least IMHO, it's one of the coolest looking headphones in current production.* Also, AKG takes a calculated risk that most people wouldn't recognize what they were missing with a poorly-amped K701. The idea is that people will buy something that looks studio-serious and cool at the same time, and that other people looking, even without knowing who AKG is, will know that the Q701 is expensive. Unfortunately, I can only see failure ahead, as even properly amped the K701 lacks the bass impact the average consumer associates with "good" sound.

*Full disclosure: I think Grados are awesome looking, so maybe my sense of style doesn't count!

Your sense of style is fine, grados are pretty studly, just not as studly as Phiatons
darthsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #127 of 173

Quote:
And this somehow justifies a POS overpriced bass-banging headphone that looks like a caddy with a bad paint job?
Look folks, people buy anything.  If it has Bieber's bad facial hair it will be in the MOMA by Sunday.
We need a new Kayne West Headphone just to listen to "My Dark Beautiful Dark twisted Fantasy" because it just doesn't fit
on his large head which blew three sizes too big to accommodate the ego and its posse.

"Then I must be a gay dolphin!" If you saw that south park with kanye

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #128 of 173

Sigh...i was expecting Sony Ericsson to do better :\
I have to have Megabass on to feel the bass...which ruins the rest of the song though
Quote:
Quote:
The tours have a sound signature similar to the XBs. Even their frequency graph look similar.
For some reason anything plugged to my phone have terrible bass...Even Beats and XB give pathetic bass.

Most mobile phones are extremely inadequate when you make them drive... well, anything.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #129 of 173

Quote:
Quote:
And this somehow justifies a POS overpriced bass-banging headphone that looks like a caddy with a bad paint job?
Look folks, people buy anything.  If it has Bieber's bad facial hair it will be in the MOMA by Sunday.
We need a new Kayne West Headphone just to listen to "My Dark Beautiful Dark twisted Fantasy" because it just doesn't fit
on his large head which blew three sizes too big to accommodate the ego and its posse.

"Then I must be a gay dolphin!" If you saw that south park with kanye

it is a good album.
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #130 of 173

Quote:
Quote:
Headphones need more publicity... The average consumer that is not informed does not know which headphone companies spend more money on research and development.

This is why Bose got it right with it slogan "Better sound through RESEARCH" 

If I don't know who's spending their money the right way to research, Bose is getting my cash. Monster is doing the exact same thing and with a renowned music producer giving his support.

I could barely call him that. LOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOL you're a failure, dre is undeniably one of the best hip hop/rap producers of all time, and if anyone knew what they were talking about I doubt that people wouldn't put him in the top 10 of all time.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #131 of 173

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Headphones need more publicity... The average consumer that is not informed does not know which headphone companies spend more money on research and development.

If I don't know who's spending their money the right way to research, Bose is getting my cash. Monster is doing the exact same thing and with a renowned music producer giving his support.

LOLOLOL you're a failure, dre is undeniably one of the best hip hop/rap producers of all time, and if anyone knew what they were talking about I doubt that people wouldn't put him in the top 10 of all time.

Dre has been prolific and lucky. Prolific cause he's been on so many albums, and lucky cause he worked with some huge names.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #132 of 173

I believe that the Beats series headphones can get much more love if:

1) Monster beefs up the construction [note 1];

2) Monster cleans up the sound.

I don't mind having some sort of a doctor endorsing electronics, although I have yet to figure out which Ph.D this particular Dr. Dre obtained. Granted I haven't actually bought the Studio, just heard them at the listening posts. I can see their appeal to non-audiophiles. I believe that their particular sound signature (again, listening post) are well suited for slower, yet "hard-hitting" rock, such as The Police.

But look at it this way. At $300 USD, what other headphone (didn't say IEM) can be directly well-driven out of a small pocket-size DAP? HFI-780? This is a blank that Monster filled with the Studio.

From an audiophile point of view, the Studio can be downright bad headphones (hey, my reference is DT880). But we really shouldn't be over-hating or over-flaming them.

1 - The new Beats Pro seems to be all-metal.

For $300, the B&w p5 is a pretty darn good portable set that doesn't need amping!

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #133 of 173

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have you heard how poorly mastered some of his newer stuff is? He may be able to lay down beats but sure as hell cannot make them sound good. 

No anger. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #135 of 173

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dre has been prolific and lucky. Prolific cause he's been on so many albums, and lucky cause he worked with some huge names.

If you're into hip-hop then you know that Dre is one of the top producers in the industry... He helped those names become big, not the other way round. Sorry, but he is a master at HIS craft.

Quote:
For $300, the B&w p5 is a pretty darn good portable set that doesn't need amping!

Funny, I auditioned them with a bunch of other phones and they were the worst of the bunch. Sounded disjointed and almost broken. I wouldn't give you $30 for them unless I had plans for the purdy frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back