Beats By Dre: The Secrets
Nov 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #106 of 173

Quote:
Headphones need more publicity... The average consumer that is not informed does not know which headphone companies spend more money on research and development.

This is why Bose got it right with it slogan "Better sound through RESEARCH" 

If I don't know who's spending their money the right way to research, Bose is getting my cash. Monster is doing the exact same thing and with a renowned music producer giving his support.

I could barely call him that. LOLOLOLOL

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #107 of 173

Quote:
I am just saying this is a very niche culture. They don't need to be well known, they aren't meant for that. They don't have the capacity for that. You think Sennheiser has enough of a factory for everyone on your block to have an HD800?
Also I think it comes down to aesthetic. If headphones are "ugly" like Grado's, nobody will buy them, no matter how good the sound. 

+1
definitely. The average consumer only care about how they look. If they look good then everyone will look positively on the guy on the streets, if they're ugly then he'll get weird looks.
Sennheiser does do quite some marketing. Their products are as common as the beats. But they look more business classed, and beats looks more stylish. You'll see more teenagers with beats, since it fits their style of music (pop etc). Business class people listen to different types of music.

Offtopic:
I just got my Tours back from repair (YES YES IM SORRY I GOT THEM...thats before I came here). They broke after a month =="
But after i got them back i realized the design changed completely o.o

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #112 of 173
Personally I think Grados are awesome looking (I believe I mentioned that earlier). I'm seeing myself in my mind's eye with a pair of faded black jeans, a Maltese cross belt, a Led Zeppelin top, and a beat up black leather jacket, rocking something from the Prestige Series....

Why did I send back my SR225i?! 

Oh, right...
dt880smile.png

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #113 of 173
you guys obviously havent heard the Solo HD , it is a very good portable can, better than my ES7.
It has great tone, acoustic guitars sound better (more realistic) than on any of my cans including my HD600.
The studios are pretty good for noise cancelling phones, Sony NC500d are better though for less.
The original Solos sucked, they were awful.
Havent heard the tours but i expect them to be crap.
Solo HD is good though.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #114 of 173
I believe that the Beats series headphones can get much more love if:

1) Monster beefs up the construction [note 1];
2) Monster cleans up the sound.

I don't mind having some sort of a doctor endorsing electronics, although I have yet to figure out which Ph.D this particular Dr. Dre obtained. Granted I haven't actually bought the Studio, just heard them at the listening posts. I can see their appeal to non-audiophiles. I believe that their particular sound signature (again, listening post) are well suited for slower, yet "hard-hitting" rock, such as The Police.
But look at it this way. At $300 USD, what other headphone (didn't say IEM) can be directly well-driven out of a small pocket-size DAP? HFI-780? This is a blank that Monster filled with the Studio.
From an audiophile point of view, the Studio can be downright bad headphones (hey, my reference is DT880). But we really shouldn't be over-hating or over-flaming them.

1 - The new Beats Pro seems to be all-metal.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #115 of 173

Quote:

I don't mind having some sort of a doctor endorsing electronics, although I have yet to figure out which Ph.D this particular Dr. Dre obtained. Granted I haven't actually bought the Studio, just heard them at the listening posts. I can see their appeal to non-audiophiles. I believe that their particular sound signature (again, listening post) are well suited for slower, yet "hard-hitting" rock, such as The Police.
But look at it this way. At $300 USD, what other headphone (didn't say IEM) can be directly well-driven out of a small pocket-size DAP? HFI-780? This is a blank that Monster filled with the Studio.
From an audiophile point of view, the Studio can be downright bad headphones (hey, my reference is DT880). But we really shouldn't be over-hating or over-flaming them.

It is not so much that it is well driven out of a pocket size DAP but it does not improve with a better source. XD
Personally even my Grado SR225i's out of my Droid sounded better. The Beats Pro are better but once again, my set up is better for half the cost. 
Overflaming? Yes we are, but they deserve it. The Studio's should be $100, no more. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #116 of 173
I completely and humbly disagree. They are completely different in terms of sound (overly bright vs. overly bassly) and build.

Grados IMO don't sound that good and they have completely opposite sound signature than the Studios. To me, the Studios are actually more enjoyable to listen. Grados just hurt my ears physically and sonically.

The Monster offer much more for me than any Grado. NC, comfort, portability, isolation and warm sound. Albeit, Monster is definitely not my choice in reference sound, but neither is Grado. Grado may have more refined treble than Monster, but they also lack bass impact for those that enjoy that kind of thing.

And if we are talking about quality control, I have nothing good to say about either of any Grados or the Monster Studios.
But Monster Turbine Pros are indestructible. I've stepped on mine countless times and they still work great. The Beats Pro also seems very solid in build.

To me $230 in Monster is worth a lot more than $230 in Grado simply b/c of the points above, but Grado is probably the worst example you can use for "good sound and quality" (=.=)''

Quote:
Quote:

It is not so much that it is well driven out of a pocket size DAP but it does not improve with a better source. XD
Personally even my Grado SR225i's out of my Droid sounded better. The Beats Pro are better but once again, my set up is better for half the cost. 
Overflaming? Yes we are, but they deserve it. The Studio's should be $100, no more. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #118 of 173
Uh... I did audition the 225i, 325is, RS-2 and RS-1 (non-i) at a local boutique, out of a Grado RA-1 and Marantz CD5003 (same boutique that I auditioned P5 and AKG's the same day). No, not reference; neither are they comfortable; but the sound is highly energetic, yet they can be creamy at times. If the pads agree to my head then I'd have gotten some Grados a long time ago. Yeah you can't just put them huge bowls on the smaller models. Doesn't work that way.
That said. I didn't AB Grados with Studios, and whatever memory of the Studios are purely from memory. So you go ahead and take that last paragraph with a huge bowl of NaCl.
And the Turbine Pro is not indestructible. The earpieces can and do come apart. The strain relief may eventually shear off and may or may not take the cable with it.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #119 of 173
I got a few good laughs from the article, that's great  lol. Looks like Monster's money was well spent paying for that article, it should increase their sales even more.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #120 of 173
Grados are highly energetic for sure. I would consider bass impact to be energetic too haha

I've also had my Turbine Pro Golds for over a year with EXTREME abuse. I don't treat earbuds or iems delicately at all. I swing them around ALL the time. I swing the earphone drivers onto tables, walls, hard floors of numerous types, and around my head. I step on them, put heavy things on them, pull them by the wire when the driver is stuck under my butt, etc etc

Over a year of this, the color of the gold has chipped and the gold cover over the jack is loose.  Still working great XD Probably not for long, but I'm surprised they've lasted this long. I haven't read the details on the lifetime warranty, but I hope it's still valid...

Quote:
And the Turbine Pro is not indestructible. The earpieces can and do come apart. The strain relief may eventually shear off and may or may not take the cable with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back