Beats By Dre: The Secrets
Nov 21, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 173

johangrb

1000+ Head-Fier
Here it is:

http://www.billboard.com/features/beats-by-dre-the-secrets-behind-a-headphone-1004128122.story#/features/beats-by-dre-the-secrets-behind-a-headphone-1004128122.story

(Catnip? :wink:  ).

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 173
That was most obnoxious article I've read in a while. I started skipping around after reading about 2 paragraphs. It's written TERRIBLY. 

Can't blame monster for the beats, they're making a killing selling the things; props to them. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 173

Quote:
Here it is:

http://www.billboard.com/features/beats-by-dre-the-secrets-behind-a-headphone-1004128122.story#/features/beats-by-dre-the-secrets-behind-a-headphone-1004128122.story

(Catnip? :wink:  ).

Haha that was an interesting read..I agree that beats look pretty cool but I definitely like the looks of other better headphones that are cheaper than the Beats..well built is questionable too lol.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 173

Quote:
That was most obnoxious article I've read in a while. I started skipping around after reading about 2 paragraphs. It's written TERRIBLY. 

Can't blame monster for the beats, they're making a killing selling the things; props to them. 

I don't agree that it was written terribly.  There's a lot to learn there and we better pay attention.  Otherwise, the headphones we prefer are going to get drowned out by the marketing bonanza.  Everyone makes light of the neon green Quincy Jones-AKG stuff, but at least AKG is trying.  We're all going to end up with SkullCandy's unless the mfrs we prefer learn to compete for the general masses.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 173

Quote:
Quote:

I don't agree that it was written terribly.  There's a lot to learn there and we better pay attention.  Otherwise, the headphones we prefer are going to get drowned out by the marketing bonanza.  Everyone makes light of the neon green Quincy Jones-AKG stuff, but at least AKG is trying.  We're all going to end up with SkullCandy's unless the mfrs we prefer learn to compete for the general masses.

How is AKG trying? They recabled and recolored the old stock of K701's and called them a new headphone. Is that trying? NO!

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 173
What is sad is that there are a whole bunch of people out there with degrees and so-called education who will buy into this drivel 110%! I heard a pair of the over the ear Dr Dre monster beats phones at a store near me the other day, plugged them into my amp and source and the sound that came out was wooly, undefined and quite frankly un-listenable and they were priced at $349CAD!! I just paid $229 for DT990 600ohms that will trounce them into a cocked hat!

Just goes to show, you can fool most of the people all of the time!

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 173
They are indeed selling well, due in large part to excellent marketing.  If a celebrity is wearing them, they must be good, right? 
wink.gif
  Seriously though, there are at least 3 people on the floor where I work, all young fellows (okay, I admit I'm an old fart), that own a pair.  In the red and white colors, they sure do make a statement.  
As for how they sound, I demo'd a pair at the local best buy a couple months back before eventually settling on a pair from audio technica, and they were okay.  Most definitely a boatload of bass, but overall not my cup of tea, but hey, each to their own.

I will agree with the article though in that it is raising the awareness of better sound and getting the message across that there are indeed better sounding headphones than the buds that came with your mp3 player.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 173

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How is AKG trying? They recabled and recolored the old stock of K701's and called them a new headphone. Is that trying? NO!

Hell yes, it's trying.  They're trying to attract someone other than us geeks.  Cut 'em some slack.  If some funky color gets someone to try a true audiophile headphone, I say more power to 'em.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 173
I'm surprised how Monster is so controversial here. Monster would not have been successful to this point if the other companies such as Beyer or Sennheiser actually knew how people think. Not everyone is a geek like them. Monster is attracting their target market perfectly. Of course people would like to see their favorite artists wear their headphones. Self assurance right there. No buyers remorse

Several of my friends got interested in Monster and started researching music products more. They moved up from Monster Beats to Bose AE to +$500 audiophile level headphones such as Sennheiser, Beyer, Ultrasone, Audio Technica. Not a bad thing at all.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 173

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hell yes, it's trying.  They're trying to attract someone other than us geeks.  Cut 'em some slack.  If some funky color gets someone to try a true audiophile headphone, I say more power to 'em.

Do you ever think things through on a below surface level thought? Do you have no more then a one track mind?

K701's are terrible headphones for the consumer market. I can't think of a worse headphone for who they are being marketed to other then maybe K1000's.

I'm gonna say it and this is gonna be contraversal, but Bose is a better audio company then AKG currently for the consumer market. Not because they sell better, but because they provide products that work well for the consumer market. They have no need for an amp, they have an mainstreem sound signature, they are isolating, they are comfortable, and they are smaller. Most of which the K701 is not, so no AKG didn't try to provide a headphone that would highlight what quality audio can do if the people who will be using it will not have the equipment to get the most out of it!

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 173
Anyone else see there's a Justin Bieber version of the Beats Solo now? Gave me a good laugh when I saw it advertised in a Best Buy ad this weekend...but then it made me feel sad and empty inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back