balanced tube amp from little dot
Jan 20, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #31 of 184
yes me too, btw what is the PC-Link II box? is it one of PS Audio products? or another DIY thing?

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #33 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes me too, btw what is the PC-Link II box? is it one of PS Audio products? or another DIY thing?

Nice small(ish) silver box. On the main page, scroll down to the bottom and you'll click on it's pic. diykits
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #34 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i believe the darkvoice 337 is a dual mono single end headamp.

Thats what I remember from somewhere, but I've slept since then!
smily_headphones1.gif
The Little-Dot MKV is a dual mono single ended as well. They seem to be sneaking in here and there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #35 of 184
I just heard back from DIY Kits. The PC Link II doesn't support balanced output, so that idea is ka-put! Still looking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #36 of 184
So... Twisted Pear opus dac anyone?

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #38 of 184
Holy smokes! Balanced AND it uses my two favorite tubes 6080/6AS7/5998and 6SN7!
eek.gif

I'm going to have to start breaking in the balanced outputs on my CDP.

I forsee this amp in my future!
biggrin.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy smokes! Balanced AND it uses my two favorite tubes 6080/6AS7/5998and 6SN7!
eek.gif

I'm going to have to start breaking in the balanced outputs on my CDP.

I forsee this amp in my future!
biggrin.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like the price will be fantastic too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #40 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the price will be fantastic too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah!
biggrin.gif

All I need is a decent pair of XLR IC's, and the XLR balanced HD650 replacement cable for $35 and I'm on my way!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #41 of 184
Quote:

Yeah!
biggrin.gif

All I need is a decent pair of XLR IC's, and the XLR balanced HD650 replacement cable for $35 and I'm on my way!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm afraid that many (me included) will need much more to make this happen. Heck, just getting a handle on the costs involved may stop some of us! Hopefully, folks like yourself and others will share any "bang for the buck" ideas to make this more due-able? Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #42 of 184
Quote:

I'm afraid that many (me included) will need juch more to make this happen. Heck, just getting a handle on the costs involved may stop some of us! Hopefully, folks like yourself and others will share any "bang for the buck" ideas to make this more due-able? Thanks!

Well, my CDP has both RCA and XLR outputs. Therefor, I don't need a "balanced" source, as I already have one. However my source cost almost $500 used, and $750 new. I bought it mainly because if I choose to go balanced, I can, or remain single ended.

And Drew @ Moon Audio has a pair of 1.0M Cardas Crosslink XLR IC's for $70. And Headroom sells the replacement balanced XLR HD650 cable for $99, which also includes a XLR-1/4" adapter as well. So I can order this balanced HD650 now, and just take off the 1/4" adapter when I get the amp.

Balanced Stock Sennheiser HD650 Cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

AudiogoN ForSale: Cardas Crosslink

So all I would need is the amp, a pair of XLR IC's, and the XLR HD650 cable.
Essentially, for $800 more, I can go completly balanced. Sounds like I better start saving my pennies, and skip lunch every day for 2 months.
wink.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #43 of 184
This looks like an interesting new contender in cheap balanced amps. It and the Headroom Balanced Desktop are the only two I can think of in that price range. Here is hoping that the circuit is up to snuff and it sounds good. Just because you balance something doesn't mean it is necessarily going to be incredible.
wink.gif

nick20 - Why would the 6SN7 be anyones favourite tube? Oh well, there are lots of equivalents, so tube rolling will be great. Those 6080's will be inexpensive and are generally very nice sounding.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're E5 does have balanced outputs, but just so you are aware, the discrete single ended output stage is then routed through a couple OPAMPS that convert it to balanced before sending it to the XLR outputs. You may actually find that the single ended outputs on the E5 sound better than the balanced outputs.

If you plan on sticking with the E5, I highly recommend getting a zapfilter mk2 installed to get the most out of its balanced outputs.
cool.gif

Signal Cable is a great place to get interconnects. Their prices are reasonable, and the Silver Resolution Balanced IC's that I have from them have yet to be bested in my rig. I have only compared them to a handful of other cables though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #44 of 184
Quote:

Well, my CDP has both RCA and XLR outputs. Therefor, I don't need a "balanced" source, as I already have one. However my source cost almost $500 used, and $750 new. I bought it mainly because if I choose to go balanced, I can, or remain single ended.

And Drew @ Moon Audio has a pair of 1.0M Cardas Crosslink XLR IC's for $70. And Headroom sells the replacement balanced XLR HD650 cable for $99, which also includes a XLR-1/4" adapter as well. So I can order this balanced HD650 now, and just take off the 1/4" adapter when I get the amp.

Balanced Stock Sennheiser HD650 Cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

AudiogoN ForSale: Cardas Crosslink

So all I would need is the amp, a pair of XLR IC's, and the XLR HD650 cable.
Essentially, for $800 more, I can go completly balanced. Sounds like I better start saving my pennies, and skip lunch every day for 2 months.
wink.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info. Lets say someone wanted to change their computer source to include balanced. Other than the Creative EMU products, have you ever heard of others that might not be so expensive? Anyone? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #45 of 184
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Lets say someone wanted to change their computer source to include balanced. Other than the Creative EMU products, have you ever heard of others that might not be so expensive? Anyone? Thanks!

Getting a balanced DAC is probably your best bet. Then you can just run optical from a cheap sound card, or get a USB device that has digital outputs.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are also some CD players that have digital inputs, but they are all quite expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back