AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,277 of 2,514
  I used LCD-2 as the headphone and,

1. Dragonfly alone
2. Dragonfly + Asguard amp
3. Dragonfly + Hifiman EF5 Tube amp

The difference is minimum. I doubt if my ears are insensitive. 

Those are light weight amps so really not a big suprise.  If you want to go with the Schiit, Lyr would be minimum and Mjolnir preferable.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,278 of 2,514
IMO, the DragonFly (alone) cannot drive a LCD-2 very well. 

I cannot say that I have much expertise in that department, but we demo'd the LCD-3 on a DF at the request of the owner of the venue at the meetup. We were all amazed that the DF had no problems powering the LCD-3. Was it the best pairing? No, but it didn't suck. If you're buying "end game" headphones, why settle on an DAC/amp combo designed for travel use? Just sayin.... :cool:

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #1,279 of 2,514

Those are light weight amps so really not a big suprise.  If you want to go with the Schiit, Lyr would be minimum and Mjolnir preferable.

man you are rich! Without the chance of actually listening to them, I have to give it some serious thoughts before spending $1000+. don't know why Schiit doesn't have any dealer in big cities like Chicago. 

I cannot say that I have much expertise in that department, but we demo'd the LCD-3 on a DF at the request of the owner of the venue at the meetup. We were all amazed that the DF had no problems powering the LCD-3. Was it the best pairing? No, but it didn't suck. If you're buying "end game" headphones, why settle on an DAC/amp combo designed for travel use? Just sayin....
cool.gif

There's definitely no problem in terms of powering.  I believe pdrm360's point is DF doesn't drive LCD2 to to its full potential.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,280 of 2,514
I've got this dac/amp and am loving it so far. My only niggle is that it doesn't automatically change the sample rate. I know if you use bit perfect with itunes it will do this, great. My problem is that itunes won't play flac files. Is there any other player with an add on i can use which is similar to bit perfect for the mac? Seems to be more choice for windows. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,281 of 2,514
  I've got this dac/amp and am loving it so far. My only niggle is that it doesn't automatically change the sample rate. I know if you use bit perfect with itunes it will do this, great. My problem is that itunes won't play flac files. Is there any other player with an add on i can use which is similar to bit perfect for the mac? Seems to be more choice for windows. 

Amarra,  just try it for free for two weeks via their web site.  If you try it let me know what you think. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,282 of 2,514
Amarra Download:

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarra

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #1,285 of 2,514
hey i am thinking of pairing the dragonfly with a note 2 . set up note2>>dragonfly>>C&C bh2>>Yuin pk1  

anyone know if this would work? also will dragontail make any diffrence  does it have any other purpose then making the cord longer?  or can i use any usb extender?

or should i go for meridian or something else instead?

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,286 of 2,514
Repurchased the Dragonfly again today at cost price. This one is for the office to use with my Yamaha HPH-200. My local hifi shop was busy clearing a couple of these from their inventory. Must say this one sounds better than the first one I had and also seems to have no issue with USB 3.0 playback unlike my previous one. Starting to wonder whether the first one I got might have been faulty or perhaps there have been a couple of firmware tweaks since then? Will give some more thoughts after the unit has a couple of hours on it.

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,288 of 2,514
  Repurchased the Dragonfly again today at cost price. This one is for the office to use with my Yamaha HPH-200. My local hifi shop was busy clearing a couple of these from their inventory. Must say this one sounds better than the first one I had and also seems to have no issue with USB 3.0 playback unlike my previous one. Starting to wonder whether the first one I got might have been faulty or perhaps there have been a couple of firmware tweaks since then? Will give some more thoughts after the unit has a couple of hours on it.

I exchanged mine (see earlier in this thread) because I could hear distortion at line-level output.  My new one doesn't have that problem, so I would guess that they have made changes from previous editions/versions.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,289 of 2,514
I'm having issues with foobar which I'm trying to use at work. I've installed the wasapi plugin on windows 7, but the dragonfly isn't changing colours. I'm guessing that its still using the windows mixer but I can't figure foobar out. First time using it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back