AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,310 of 2,514
  It should provide 150mw as an amp enough to drive a HD650 or HE400. Better as a DAC than an amp

+1 ... I am impressed with the DAC and it really sounds great plugged into another amp.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,312 of 2,514
Well, I broke. Bought a new DF. Got it for $170 after tax locally. Running it on my sub-par WIndows 8 netbook. So far, I am impressed with the upscaling. I was a bit concerned upon first plug-in as the sound was pretty disapointing until I switched it to a different USB port. Looks like I will need to buy a Dragontail tomorrow, I think. Later this week, I am going to test it as a full fledged DAC with my PS Audio GCHA.

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,313 of 2,514
Well, I broke. Bought a new DF. Got it for $170 after tax locally. Running it on my sub-par WIndows 8 netbook. So far, I am impressed with the upscaling. I was a bit concerned upon first plug-in as the sound was pretty disapointing until I switched it to a different USB port. Looks like I will need to buy a Dragontail tomorrow, I think. Later this week, I am going to test it as a full fledged DAC with my PS Audio GCHA.

Enjoy your new Dragonfly! Honestly, you can use any USB-extender. I use the mediabridge one from Amazon with the gold connects, it was $5-6 and it works perfectly fine. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,314 of 2,514

Oh, so I also have to tamper with my USB ports as well, as I'm not very much impressed by DF so far.
There is some improvement for sure but not what I was expecting. DF seems to drive better my B&W P5 than my HD598. Strangely enough, my HD598 seem to be driven louder by my laptop's headphone output than by the DF itself.

I have it for 2 weeks now and ddn't have much time to experiment with it as I wanted. Probably it's going to grow in me.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,315 of 2,514
  Enjoy your new Dragonfly! Honestly, you can use any USB-extender. I use the mediabridge one from Amazon with the gold connects, it was $5-6 and it works perfectly fine. 

I'll 2nd that, I've used the media bridge since the DF came out, the Dragontail had not been released yet, see no reason to pay for a short USB extension.

Oh, so I also have to tamper with my USB ports as well, as I'm not very much impressed by DF so far.
There is some improvement for sure but not what I was expecting. DF seems to drive better my B&W P5 than my HD598. Strangely enough, my HD598 seem to be driven louder by my laptop's headphone output than by the DF itself.

I have it for 2 weeks now and ddn't have much time to experiment with it as I wanted. Probably it's going to grow in me.

Adding even a cheap and very light and small FiiO E11 will amp that DAC up to a point you may appreciate it more.  Own both the B&W P5 and the HD595.  The P5 gets little love on HF, but I really like that HP, my favorite over-the-ear portable HP.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,316 of 2,514
  Adding even a cheap and very light and small FiiO E11 will amp that DAC up to a point you may appreciate it more. 

+1 ... adding an external amp does wonders with the DF.  Like it with my NuForce Icon HDP - Love it with my NAD C375BEE 2-channel rig.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,317 of 2,514

Thank you!  I have a generic USB extender right now, was just looking for something with a bit sturdier build quality.  This will work for now though.

Once I figured out which USB is the best one, then it sounded much, much better.  The audio guy at the shop I purchased from even admitted to that issue as well.  He actually looked into which USB port on his Mac was the highest current/voltage and cleanest power.  Apparently Apple publicizes this information, go figure. I just have a craptop Acer netbook at the moment feeding my DF. 

Additionally, I changed the Buffer length on Foobar from 1000ms to 500ms, and that seemed to make a big difference to the sound for some reason!  Maybe try that out?

I'll 2nd that, I've used the media bridge since the DF came out, the Dragontail had not been released yet, see no reason to pay for a short USB extension.

Adding even a cheap and very light and small FiiO E11 will amp that DAC up to a point you may appreciate it more.  Own both the B&W P5 and the HD595.  The P5 gets little love on HF, but I really like that HP, my favorite over-the-ear portable HP.

I cannot wait to test this out as a full-fledged DAC, but holding off so I can notice any difference more clearly.  I agree with your comment about the P5s.  There is little love, but I think that's because of how far from neutral the sound is.  I am super excited to try out their P7s when they arrive at the shop next to my work (best lunch breaks ever!).  If the P5 wasn't so bass heavy, I would get one in a heartbeat -- I adore the build quality, aesthetics, lambskin pads, and detachable cables!

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,318 of 2,514
The strange thing is that it drives my P5s adequately. I'm not very impressed with how it drives my HD598s.

I noticed that I had turned down buffering to around 200ms (Foobar) in order to fix the sound ''jumps'' I was experiencing, which is very very low I reckon. I'll try to adjust it to a number around 500 and see if there's any difference soundwise.

I'm also going to try my left USB port which is a USB 3.0 one. Of course DF itself is not a USB 3.0 device but I suppose a USB 3.0 port can provide stable and powerful voltage for a USB 2.0 device.

I'll try all these things and I'll get back with feedback. Thank you all for your contribution.
Oh, and I also love my B&W P5s. A very underrated pair of HPs.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,319 of 2,514
Seems like Sabre ESS chips are becoming more popular, apart from that I don't really see the similarity to the ODAC.
11.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back