AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Mar 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,087 of 2,514
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 and a Note Edge. When using Deezer, Poweramp or anything else, there is either no sound (mainly with the Tab Pro) or it plays very slowly (mainly with the Edge). The only way I can get good sound (and it is very good) is using USB Audio Player Pro. I am not rooted. Can the Samsungs play nice with the Dragonfly? 

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,088 of 2,514
  I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 and a Note Edge. When using Deezer, Poweramp or anything else, there is either no sound (mainly with the Tab Pro) or it plays very slowly (mainly with the Edge). The only way I can get good sound (and it is very good) is using USB Audio Player Pro. I am not rooted. Can the Samsungs play nice with the Dragonfly? 

You can, but with an OTG cable. Android 5 (Lollipop) has USB audio baked right in from the start.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2,090 of 2,514
I emailed Audioquest about Adroid compatibility, and this is their reply:

Unfortunately not, due mostly to the current draw.  Dragonfly was designed to work with a laptop or desktop computer (PC or Mac) that is fitted with a USB port.  Because there have been so many enquires about using Dragonfly with tablets and smartphones we realize there's a pretty big demand for such a product (or products!) and we are curently developing a whole family of Dragonfly-type products which will work with your tablet and/or smartphone, either iOS or Android.  We hope to be able to launch one or more of these products early in the new year.

I'm looking foward to it!

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2,091 of 2,514
These were supposed to be released at CES... didn't happen and the new AQ headphone was supposed to be out by now. From all the negative feedback, I'm guessing the headphones are getting a slight retune for deeper bass and more clarity. Hopefully the new Dragonfly series will be released alongside the cans.

What I know sofar is all models are suppose to offer 24/192 support and compatibility with their OS (iOS, Android, PC/Mac) with no addded cable chains. They should be a similar/same form factor as previous Dragonflies.

*Edit
With all the changes going on with Apple, this could explain all the delays...

DSD was promised on the PC/Mac version, but no confirmation for the mobile versions.
Here's hoping they throw a small battery in the mobile versions and include a free app to get the most out of the phone.

Rumors were AQ would release new cables for adaptors similar to the Dragontail. With any luck, it will not be in the Carbon series since these have solid core conductors and have very little flexibility!

That's all I have...

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,092 of 2,514
What I know sofar is all models are suppose to offer 24/192 support and compatibility with their OS (iOS, Android, PC/Mac) with no added cable chains. They should be a similar/same form factor as previous Dragonflies.

*Edit
With all the changes going on with Apple, this could explain all the delays...

snip
Rumors were AQ would release new cables for adaptors similar to the Dragontail. With any luck, it will not be in the Carbon series since these have solid core conductors and have very little flexibility!

That's all I have...

...will be interesting to see how they solve this problem, without "added cable chains", because now it requires USB B 2.0 & 3.0, USB C and USB micro (Android), as well as the Lightning connector for iOS.

For me, I like the solid-core conductor in the current Dragontail.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #2,093 of 2,514
Hmm, my Dragonfly actually is the one of my USB dacs that works with most android devices........

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,095 of 2,514
Same here, works with OTG usb3 cable adaptor for my Galaxy Note3 just fine...

It does and it doesn't... I can't hot-plug the DF with my Note 4, like I can with other DACs. I need to restart my Note 4 when connecting the DF to get sound output. Maybe this has changed with Lollipop; haven't tried it, lately.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2,098 of 2,514

After 140 pages and lots of time, any thoughts on 1.0 vs. 1.2? 

1.0 is warm and colored, 1.2 is neutral. Otherwise not much difference.

Stephen Mejas (formerly) of Stereophile has almost the opposite opinion; for him, the 1.2 is warmer.  See http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-v12.  Also see http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter for the original Stereophile review by John Atkinson.  For the record, I have never heard the 1.2.  I have the 1.0 and like it a lot.  When I use it as a DAC for my Bravo V2 amplifier, I have all the warmth I need downstream! 

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,099 of 2,514
Hello,

I connected my Dragonfly 1 to my TV box and to my home amplifier.
How am I supposed to operate it?  Dragonfly advise to operate both the media player (foobar) and TV box at max volume and adjust the preferred volume by the amplifier (if I understand it right). Is this the so-called fixed output?

This is what I did after all. My question is, if there's any danger of breaking the amplifier by sending full signal power to it from the Dragonfly. I suspect there won't be such a prbl as with the DF & Foobar at max volume, I get normal listening levels at around ''10-13'' which is the range I usually operate my receiver when I play CDs.

It might me a noob question but I felt I had to ask just to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back