AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
May 6, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #2,103 of 2,514
http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-page-2
  Hello,

I connected my Dragonfly 1 to my TV box and to my home amplifier.
How am I supposed to operate it?  Dragonfly advise to operate both the media player (foobar) and TV box at max volume and adjust the preferred volume by the amplifier (if I understand it right). Is this the so-called fixed output?

This is what I did after all. My question is, if there's any danger of breaking the amplifier by sending full signal power to it from the Dragonfly. I suspect there won't be such a prbl as with the DF & Foobar at max volume, I get normal listening levels at around ''10-13'' which is the range I usually operate my receiver when I play CDs.

It might me a noob question but I felt I had to ask just to be on the safe side.

Art Dudley's_Stereophile_ review of the Dragonfly v1.0 (http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-page-2) also supports that recommendation: "The DragonFly's analog volume works similarly, in 64 steps—yet Gordon Rankin has designed it to have 60 steps up to 0dB, max. Consequently, the DragonFly owner can set the computer volume at 100% without fear of distorting the signal at that stage."  Art Dudley also noticed that some early production units had higher output on the highest setting. This is explained in greater detail in John Atkinson's measurements article in the same issue of Stereophile (http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-measurements).  The bottom line is that the output of the Dragonfly (except for a few early units) at maximum volume is a "fixed-output" level. 

I sometimes use the Dragonfly as a DAC and feed the result to a Bravo V2 hybrid headphone amplifier or to the line-in input of a Sharp shelf unit.  The Sharp unit is happy with the input from the Dragonfly at maximum volume.  (I keep the volume on the Sharp at 8-12, as if I were playing the radio or a CD directly, so my experience is similar to yours.)  With the Bravo V2, at the listening levels that I normally use, I prefer to keep the output of the Dragonfly at 50/100 or even 25/100.  This is because otherwise I have to keep the volume of the Bravo so low that channel imbalance issues occur.

May 6, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,104 of 2,514
  http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-page-2
Art Dudley's_Stereophile_ review of the Dragonfly v1.0 (http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-page-2) also supports that recommendation: "The DragonFly's analog volume works similarly, in 64 steps—yet Gordon Rankin has designed it to have 60 steps up to 0dB, max. Consequently, the DragonFly owner can set the computer volume at 100% without fear of distorting the signal at that stage."  Art Dudley also noticed that some early production units had higher output on the highest setting. This is explained in greater detail in John Atkinson's measurements article in the same issue of Stereophile (http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-measurements).  The bottom line is that the output of the Dragonfly (except for a few early units) at maximum volume is a "fixed-output" level. 

I sometimes use the Dragonfly as a DAC and feed the result to a Bravo V2 hybrid headphone amplifier or to the line-in input of a Sharp shelf unit.  The Sharp unit is happy with the input from the Dragonfly at maximum volume.  (I keep the volume on the Sharp at 8-12, as if I were playing the radio or a CD directly, so my experience is similar to yours.)  With the Bravo V2, at the listening levels that I normally use, I prefer to keep the output of the Dragonfly at 50/100 or even 25/100.  This is because otherwise I have to keep the volume of the Bravo so low that channel imbalance issues occur.

That was really helpful! Thank you very much.

At least I know I do it right.
I'm operating DF at full volume for a week now and I don't get any noise on my amp. Everything seems to be right except from the fact that I find the sound a bit boomy-bass heavy with certain albums.

I'm now considering to continue using my DF with my laptop while on the go and get a Modi for my hifi rig. This way I will bypass the double amp thing (DF amp + my stereo amp) and hopefully I'll get a more balanced tone.

May 17, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #2,106 of 2,514
Looking for a portable dac to go with the o2 for a laptop the dragonfly apples to me cause of the price and size. Would this be similar to the stock stx dac that I use for desktop use. Is this better than the stx? The stx does have an odd sound stage if you ask me.

May 17, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #2,108 of 2,514
  I like the pairing with my O2 and Dragonfly v1.

Yeah after everything I have read so far since that post I think I will be picking up a 1.2v at my local bestbuy (they didn't even mark it up what!) tomorrow. Would you say its more on the warm side or neutral side? My cans consist of the ATH-M50, and K7XX (best investment I ever made so far).

May 17, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #2,109 of 2,514
The Dragonfly V1 is slightly warm to many.   I never really thought of it as much so.   We all hear a little differently.   I've read the V2 is maybe a little less warm.   The O2 is pretty transparent to my ears. 
I've never had the chance to hear either of your headphones.   They seem very popular. 

May 24, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2,110 of 2,514
After much use and deliberation I've come to the conclusion that my Dragonfly 1.1+M50 (~200) is a superior set-up to my Magni+Modi+HD600/M50 (~400). Obviously the Dragonfly can't drive the HD600.

I believe this is due to:
The Magni is just a transparent amp and provides ample power.
The Modi is the star of the Schiit stick, but the Dragonfly's DAC is superior.

I need to hear how the HD600 can really sound like.....

EDIT: Not that it's relevant, but the HD600 is better than the M50 on the Schiit stack. This is just to illustrate how awesome the Dragonfly is. If you can get it for $70 on eBay, do not hesitate.

May 24, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #2,111 of 2,514
  After much use and deliberation I've come to the conclusion that my Dragonfly 1.1+M50 (~200) is a superior set-up to my Magni+Modi+HD600/M50 (~400).

Obviously the Dragonfly can't drive the HD600.

I agree that the DragonFly is an outstanding value as a source component ... but it really needs an external amp to drive higher impedance headphones.

For a portable setup, I use a FiiO E11K ($59 US when I bought mine) and for a desktop setup, well, the sky's the limit. But try the FiiO and see what you think - it's a low cost solution.

May 27, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #2,112 of 2,514
  After much use and deliberation I've come to the conclusion that my Dragonfly 1.1+M50 (~200) is a superior set-up to my Magni+Modi+HD600/M50 (~400). Obviously the Dragonfly can't drive the HD600.

I believe this is due to:
The Magni isn't a very good amp, it's just powerful.
The Modi is the star of the Schiit stick, but the Dragonfly's DAC is superior.

I need to hear how the HD600 can really sound like.....

EDIT: Not that it's relevant, but the HD600 is better than the M50 on the Schiit stack. This is just to illustrate how awesome the Dragonfly is. If you can get it for $70 on eBay, do not hesitate.

Have you tried DF→Magni→HD600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back