AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,996 of 2,514
  ..has anybody else have had the housing come loose before? It happened to me twice and i was able to just push and pop the pieces back into place..just wondering..

Check if the metal of the usb plug on the DF is square, sometimes they get a bit bent and this gives them a bit too much grip. Also, try a few different usb ports, maybe the one you are using is too tight? Short answer, never happened to me.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,997 of 2,514
Hey guys; firstly is it true that Dragonfly's main competitor (cambridge sounds Dacmagic XS) is having a new release soon?

I was really interested in getting the Dragonfly as a cheapish DAC for my Graham Slee Solo SRG 2 & HD 650 setup; but I'm thinking of holding fire until these rumours cease.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,998 of 2,514
Hey guys; firstly is it true that Dragonfly's main competitor (cambridge sounds Dacmagic XS) is having a new release soon?

I was really interested in getting the Dragonfly as a cheapish DAC for my Graham Slee Solo SRG 2 & HD 650 setup; but I'm thinking of holding fire until these rumours cease.

Also consider the Meridian Explorer. It was down to 149$ on Amazon last time I checked.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,999 of 2,514
Also consider the Meridian Explorer. It was down to 149$ on Amazon last time I checked.

Do you have one? If so, how would you compare it with the DF?

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,000 of 2,514
Do you have one? If so, how would you compare it with the DF?

No I don't but I have talked to a few people with both the explorer and DF 1.0 or 1.2. Everyone's verdict was in favour of the Explorer.

I own the DF 1.2 and think they are fabulous for the price and form factor. But given the current price difference, the explorer is a no brainer.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,001 of 2,514
Everyone's verdict was in favour of the Explorer.

Because of features, form-factor, et al. or because of a preference for the sound of the Explorer over the DF?

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,002 of 2,514
Because of features, form-factor, et al. or because of a preference for the sound of the Explorer over the DF?

Well to be precise a few preferred the smaller size of the DF to that of the Meridian while some were more comfortable with the Meridian's cabled approach over the USB jutting out.

As far as SQ is concerned the consensus seemed to be that the Meridian has a certain finesse that the DF clearly lacked. Also some thought the Meridian had a slightly larger soundstage and separation was a tad better.

I am just summarizing what others told me. Not first hand experience.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,003 of 2,514
Just got the DF to improve my HIFImeDIY U2 (also based on ES9023).  Although the U2 sounded really nice for what it's worth (57 usd) , it is not neutral enough for my taste. not sharp and tight enough, missing overall clarity.
The DF really improves in those regions and I can clearly hear the difference, definitely better.   And so far using the DF built in Headphone amp as an appetizer to my Headroom ultra micro.  Hope the sound will improve further when switching amps.
Can't believe that such a tiny thing can sound that good!   IMO that is the sound quality that should come "built in" with every laptop.

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,006 of 2,514
So far my initial impressions with the DF as a dac + headphone amp after few hours of burn in (less than 10):
I certainly noticed the WOW effect at first listen.  detailed and clear sounding, nice sparkle in the highs but without sibilance. acoustic guitars really sound nice with it.
the bass is nice and gets deep, but can get a little uncontrolled and muddy sometimes..not tight enough.  you can feel that this little amp don't have enough authoroty and power.  also, the mids are not farward enough for me, a little in the background.
 I needed to pair it with the Grado to balance them.  I somewhat feel that it is harder for the DF to drive the SR80 than the M50 but maybe it is only my not used to the new sound signature.

anyway, the sound is definitely better that the computer onboard sound, but not by a huge margin.  My next step is to pair it with my headroom ultra micro amp and use it as DAC only, hope it will balance things a little.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,008 of 2,514
  I'll just wait until next year for the new model of the DF to be release before upgrading/sidegrading...

I, on the other hand, will just keep using the 1.2 model to avoid paying for something new that will likely sound the same 
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,009 of 2,514
I also started investigating the Explorer.   I wonder how is the sound, on paper it seems better than the DF.  
I also don't wanna spend 300$ right now, But we all know what will happen eventually 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,010 of 2,514
I also started investigating the Explorer.   I wonder how is the sound, on paper it seems better than the DF.  
I also don't wanna spend 300$ right now, But we all know what will happen eventually :bigsmile_face:

The explorer is selling for 149$ now. The DF 1.2 goes for 135$.

If anyone's looking to buy a new DAC in that range the explorer surely makes more sense.

The meridian seems to be an upgrade over the 1.2 both according to specs and user reviews.

But is it worth getting if you already own a DF 1.2? Can't really say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back