AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #2,011 of 2,514
The explorer is selling for 149$ now. The DF 1.2 goes for 135$.

If anyone's looking to buy a new DAC in that range the explorer surely makes more sense.

The meridian seems to be an upgrade over the 1.2 both according to specs and user reviews.

But is it worth getting if you already own a DF 1.2? Can't really say.

I meant the new Explorer 2 Actually :)   were you referring to the first version of the Explorer ?   the new version should be improved, I believe it is 295$.
Well..it's an upgrade, you said it yourself , So I guess you answered your own question.

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2,012 of 2,514
Just have a listening session with the DF as a DAC only plugged to the headroom ultra micro.   MUCH BETTER!   Now the DF can show its true power as a DAC.
Coupled with a good amplification, my Grado SR80's are singing again .    The DF is punchy and digital sounding, just the way I like it 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,013 of 2,514

I, on the other hand, will just keep using the 1.2 model to avoid paying for something new that will likely sound the same 
wink.gif

The price of the 1.2 will drop when the new one is released... the newest version will have two models, maybe three models, one compatible with pc, idevices, and android.  There's talk of 192khz and dsd...

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,014 of 2,514
  Just have a listening session with the DF as a DAC only plugged to the headroom ultra micro.   MUCH BETTER!   Now the DF can show its true power as a DAC.
Coupled with a good amplification, my Grado SR80's are singing again .    The DF is punchy and digital sounding, just the way I like it 
bigsmile_face.gif

I feel the same way... the DF is a great DAC paired with an external amp, as seen in my latest iteration of my Work-Fi rig:

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2,015 of 2,514
I feel the same way... the DF is a great DAC paired with an external amp, as seen in my latest iteration of my Work-Fi rig:

Sweet looking setup. That is a nuforce icon hdp by the looks of it. How are you bypassing the DAC section?

I tried connecting my dragonfly with my udac just for kicks to see if using it only as an amp makes some improvements. But got no sound through foobar.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #2,016 of 2,514
Sweet looking setup. That is a nuforce icon hdp by the looks of it. How are you bypassing the DAC section?

I tried connecting my dragonfly with my udac just for kicks to see if using it only as an amp makes some improvements. But got no sound through foobar.

Hmm... not sure what happened to the photo, but anyway...

I am not bypassing the DAC - I am plugging the DF's headphone output to the analog input on the HDP, using a 3.5mm to RCA (L-R) interconnect from Kimber Kable.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #2,017 of 2,514

I am not bypassing the DAC - I am plugging the DF's headphone output to the analog input on the HDP, using a 3.5mm to RCA (L-R) interconnect from Kimber Kable.

Ya the pics a bit odd in the quoted part.

I meant how are you bypassing the DAC in the Nuforce not the DF. I guess you are using the DF as the DAC and the HDP's amp section. Right?

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,018 of 2,514

Key tach, how's that Kimber cable 3.5 > RCA (left-right) interconnect. Was it expensive? Oh, and how's the WA-3 working for you? Now you need a million dollar DAC!

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,019 of 2,514
Ya the pics a bit odd in the quoted part.

I meant how are you bypassing the DAC in the Nuforce not the DF. I guess you are using the DF as the DAC and the HDP's amp section. Right?

Correct. With the outboard linear power supply, I think the HPD is a nice SS amp and pairs really well with my Grados and HD-598s.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,020 of 2,514
Key tach, how's that Kimber cable 3.5 > RCA (left-right) interconnect. Was it expensive? Oh, and how's the WA-3 working for you? Now you need a million dollar DAC!

I love that cable ... looks sweet with solid connectors and nice sleeve around most of the cable, expect where it splits into the L/R Ultra-Plate RCA plug. Can't recall what I paid (they were probably around $80.00... or more...
blink.gif
).  I'm pretty sure that AudioPerfection in Richfield carries them (they are a Kimber dealer).

I'll attach photos that hopefully don't get messed up during upload to Head-Fi:

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,022 of 2,514
For some reason my UDac refuses to produce sound when connected to the DF with a 3.5mm to RCA. Not that it would have made a lot of difference but still should be working. Dunno why its not.

If you are referring to the NuForce uDac, that device doesn't have an analog input (only 3.5mm headphone output, as well as RCA outputs on the back for powered speakers).

So it's USB in and either coax digital out or analog RCA outs.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,023 of 2,514
If you are referring to the NuForce uDac, that device doesn't have an analog input (only 3.5mm headphone output, as well as RCA outputs on the back for powered speakers).

So it's USB in and either coax digital out or analog RCA outs.

Aha..... completely forgot these were RCA outs not ins. Stupid me. Must be the lack of sleep. Its 4:15 in the morning here and am still working with HPs on. :p

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2,024 of 2,514
Dec 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #2,025 of 2,514

I love that cable ... looks sweet with solid connectors and nice sleeve around most of the cable, expect where it splits into the L/R Ultra-Plate RCA plug. Can't recall what I paid (they were probably around $80.00... or more...
blink.gif
).  I'm pretty sure that AudioPerfection in Richfield carries them (they are a Kimber dealer).

I'll attach photos that hopefully don't get messed up during upload to Head-Fi:

That's a nice looking cable. My 3.5 to RCA is an Audioquest that I bought at the WorstBuy right down the street from audio perfection, man do they have some nice stuff there. Not car payment but mortgage payment expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back