AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 15, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #2,041 of 2,514
Correct... I called AudioQuest sometime back to clarify this; there is no "by-passing" the amp section, but at full volume you have line-level out (roughly 2VRms, although the output seems very "hot" to me when I connect it to an external integrated amp).

Does keeping the volume 1-2 clicks lower suppress the 'hot'ness to some extent?

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2,042 of 2,514
Does keeping the volume 1-2 clicks lower suppress the 'hot'ness to some extent?

Sure. I usually *do* dial-down the DF volume when connecting to my NAD C375BEE (which has plenty of grunt), to avoid any clipping on the DF's output (though I've never experienced any that I could hear).

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,044 of 2,514
I deleted my previous post, saying that the HiFimeDIY U2 is warmer than the DF, but I now realize that this is not true so I take it back.  The U2 initially gives the feeling of being warmer and "tubier" but this sound is not accurate, in fact it rolls off the highs and mids too much.   Now that I listen to the DF through the wyrd I get enough warmth and bass and the mids and highs remain neutral.  this is definitely more accurate.  The DF is much better dac than the U2 for sure. 
I guess listening to my Grado 325's all week,getting huge midbass, and suddenly coming back to the HD800 was a sharp transition for me and I blamed it on the poor DF 
biggrin.gif
.   when getting used to the HD800 sound,there is plenty of bass and warmth.

But nevertheless I am sure thinking about upgrading the DF soon, although very good sounding for the price and size, this is not an endgame for me.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,045 of 2,514
I deleted my previous post, saying that the HiFimeDIY U2 is warmer than the DF, but I now realize that this is not true so I take it back.  The U2 initially gives the feeling of being warmer and "tubier" but this sound is not accurate, in fact it rolls off the highs and mids too much.   Now that I listen to the DF through the wyrd I get enough warmth and bass and the mids and highs remain neutral.  this is definitely more accurate.  The DF is much better dac than the U2 for sure. 
I guess listening to my Grado 325's all week,getting huge midbass, and suddenly coming back to the HD800 was a sharp transition for me and I blamed it on the poor DF :D .   when getting used to the HD800 sound,there is plenty of bass and warmth.

But nevertheless I am sure thinking about upgrading the DF soon, although very good sounding for the price and size, this is not an endgame for me.

Dragonfly with and without the wyrd. What are your impressions?

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2,046 of 2,514
So far I didn't notice any difference,probably my laptop's usb port did good enough job driving the Dragonfly. But I still not regretting getting the wyrd,the peace of mind worth it.
But I also haven't done any A-B test to really look for the difference.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,047 of 2,514
Guys, I currently have the Fiio e7/e9 combo (old version) and the HD600s. Talking pure sound quality, will the Dragonfly be better than the e7/e9 and will it have enough power to drive the Senns to good listening levels?

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,051 of 2,514
Max volume on the Dragonfly is too loud to leave me any room on my Vali's volume pot to play with.  So I keep the amp dialed between 9 and 10 o'clock and control the volume from my computer (which according to Audioquest, actually controls the DF's analog volume).

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,052 of 2,514
Max volume on the Dragonfly is too loud to leave me any room on my Vali's volume pot to play with.  So I keep the amp dialed between 9 and 10 o'clock and control the volume from my computer (which according to Audioquest, actually controls the DF's analog volume).

I keep the Dragonfly on full volume and my Vali stays between 9-12. Something must be wrong with my hearing. :frowning2:

On a separate note, thanks Delirious for helping me choose the Vali. The little amp can produce some serious magic combined with the Dragonfly running the HD 650s.

Excellent return for the money spent. Been very hard to put down my HP's off late.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,053 of 2,514
I keep the Dragonfly on full volume and my Vali stays between 9-12. Something must be wrong with my hearing.
frown.gif

On a separate note, thanks Delirious for helping me choose the Vali. The little amp can produce some serious magic combined with the Dragonfly running the HD 650s.

Excellent return for the money spent. Been very hard to put down my HP's off late.

I try to save my ears so they will last all the 40 or so years of life I have left in me. 
atsmile.gif
 Typically 40-50% (a little more with classical music) on the DF and 9 o'clock on the Vali is plenty for me.  Then again, the comfortable volume on a HD600 may be a little lower than on the warmer HD650 - just speculating.

Oh, and you're welcome.  Do be careful, that combo is addictive.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #2,055 of 2,514
What would be a good amp to use with 1.2 to drive an hd600?

I'm partial to the FiiO line for portable use. I have the FiiO E11K and I think it works great with the HD650 (so should work just fine with the HD600).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back