AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2,026 of 2,514
Aha..... completely forgot these were RCA outs not ins. Stupid me. Must be the lack of sleep. Its 4:15 in the morning here and am still working with HPs on.
tongue.gif

All the people in Minnesota could fit into a single neighborhood in Kolkata. I can see a physical representation of the time difference between Minnesota and India, but its still hard to wrap my brain around the concept. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #2,032 of 2,514

Original. I found a 1.2 for $75, I would have bought two.

NIce score. If you ever get a chance to pick up a 1.2, by all means, do it. I've owned both for quite a while, and the version 1.2 is noticeably nicer than the original. More natural, more spacious and sweeter-sounding. I actually think it sounds more musical than the LH Geek Out 450, but it's limited to 24/96 and does not support native DSD. But it is a gorgeous-sounding DAC, regardless. Gordon Rankin has got it goin' on...

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #2,033 of 2,514
I have listened to the v1.2 for many months now close to 4 months pretty much daily.

Now used my old v1 and wow what a revelation more analog sounding and outstanding clarity on the soundstage. They are different in their own way but to which is the best I would have to say without doubt the original v1.0
Happy to have both though  .....  :)

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #2,034 of 2,514
Is it just me or is the volume pretty loud on a lot of portable headphones with the recommended 25 system volume?  Wish it got lower with the analog stage.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #2,035 of 2,514
Has anyone tried pairing this with a Nexus 5 with Android 5.0 using an OTG cable?
Will it work?

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #2,038 of 2,514
In regards to using the Dragonfly as DAC-only (bypassing DF's amp section with a 3.5mm-to-RCA converter to external amp), I've seen conflicting information.  Some things I've read suggest that by putting computer system volume at 100%, it will push a line-level signal.  Other info says it's impossible to bypass amp section, and while it will obviously still work with an external amp, it will pass through the DF's amp section before doing so.

Can anybody clarify this for me?  Thanks!

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #2,039 of 2,514
I believe it's line out at 100% and can attenuate lower levels if you'd like it to. You're not bypassing an amp section per se from what I understand it is to be considered a pre-amp suitable for headphone use also.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #2,040 of 2,514
  I believe it's line out at 100% and can attenuate lower levels if you'd like it to. You're not bypassing an amp section per se from what I understand it is to be considered a pre-amp suitable for headphone use also.

Correct... I called AudioQuest sometime back to clarify this; there is no "by-passing" the amp section, but at full volume you have line-level out (roughly 2VRms, although the output seems very "hot" to me when I connect it to an external integrated amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back