Audiophile Cans for Gaming, Music, and Movies?
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #16 of 23
Unless you know something i don't, i doubt you can find new Annies for $300. They sell for $500. The Q701 would be obtainable at that price. I'd consider lowering your budget if you're MAIN use for them is gaming. Music wise i can understand the jump, but it depends on your needs/wants.
I can tell you the mixamp will do ok with the Q701 with the volume on max, so i assume the same for the Annies. So for the gaming standpoint you would be ok with just the mixamp. However where you're going to want a dac/amp in the chain is for the music. I would absolutely recommend buying a set for general music listening. I use my Q701's for pretty much the same exact reasons you have listed, equal parts gaming and music, with use for movies every now and then. I have to say i'm 100% satisfied with this set up.
I'm currently using a AntLion ModMic and i'd recommend it, weather you have to wait for it or not (it goes out of stock). I have no problems getting acceptable volumes while gaming using just the mixamp, and the mic is pretty high quality.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

No, I just don't really understand sound cards, tbh. haha I will have a lot of different things connected, including my xbox, so I wasn't sure if a sound card would work for things outside my pc?

Sound card = mix amp, just better.

It will only work for your pc.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #18 of 23
Alright, it is decided then. =) I will definitely purchase the MixAmp and will buy the K702 Annie's if I can find them for the right price. I will also keep my eye out for a deal on the Magni and Modi to add to the setup.

My final question is how exactly would I go about hooking all of this up? I will have my PC and Xbox 360 connected and all of that running through an ElGato Capture Card for streaming and recording. Will there be any special cables or adapters I will need?

Here is a basic diagram of this type of setup:

In addition to that, I would need to connect my PC to the system, add the DAC when I get the Modi, and run all of that to the ElGato Capture Card.

I have a headache just thinking about this. lol

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #19 of 23
Has anyone used the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 Headset? I found it brand new for $299 but honestly haven't heard much on it.

Otherwise, I found the K702 Annie's brand new for $399 and a refurb Sennheiser PC360 for $119.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #20 of 23
The general consensus is, that the mmx 300 is the best headset you can get for gaming. I don't know how it compare to anything

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
Alright, it is decided then. =) I will definitely purchase the MixAmp and will buy the K702 Annie's if I can find them for the right price. I will also keep my eye out for a deal on the Magni and Modi to add to the setup.

My final question is how exactly would I go about hooking all of this up? I will have my PC and Xbox 360 connected and all of that running through an ElGato Capture Card for streaming and recording. Will there be any special cables or adapters I will need?

Here is a basic diagram of this type of setup:

In addition to that, I would need to connect my PC to the system, add the DAC when I get the Modi, and run all of that to the ElGato Capture Card.

I have a headache just thinking about this. lol

Well you won't need the modi in this particular set up. That is going to be hooked up from your pc. The Mixamp will act as your DAC in this situation. You should probably google the best way to hook up the xbox and pc, i'm sure there is guides out there. Can't speak on the capture card, but as far as the mixamp, they will send you all the cables you need.

May 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 23
I know I am extremely late to the thread but I chose the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D USB over the Astro Mixamp and I am extremely happy with the virtual surround (THX TruStudio Pro), ever though it seems most people prefer the older retired CMSS-3D. I have to say that the Recon3D sound card causes my Sennheiser PC 360 mic to pick up quite a bit of background noise.

If you went with anything else I am curious to know how you liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back