Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
May 6, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #226 of 304
AD2000X is fantastic. I actually have a mod mic attached to mine and currently use it as a gaming headset. I use it for regular music as well, but I just didn't wait to buy a regular gaming headset with subpar sound.

So far so good on the W5000. It's so comfortable for me. The thicker earpads help a lot with comfort vs the AD2000X. I know a lot of people complain about fit issues with the W5000, but I guess it just happens to be really nice for my head. :D Same as the previous one I owned.. No adjustment needed to the headband.

May 6, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #227 of 304
  AD2000X is fantastic. I actually have a mod mic attached to mine and currently use it as a gaming headset. I use it for regular music as well, but I just didn't wait to buy a regular gaming headset with subpar sound.

So far so good on the W5000. It's so comfortable for me. The thicker earpads help a lot with comfort vs the AD2000X. I know a lot of people complain about fit issues with the W5000, but I guess it just happens to be really nice for my head. :D Same as the previous one I owned.. No adjustment needed to the headband.

Out of curiosity, are hinges of the 'floating wings' on the AD2000X as stiff as the W5000's? I remember that on the AD700X the two hinges of the pads resting on top of my head were loose so the headphones ended up resting on my ears which got uncomfortable. Thankfully this is not the case for the AT woodcups.

May 7, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #228 of 304
The W5000 sounds MUCH better on the HA5000 than on the m-Stage. The sound becomes much clearer and less muffled. Bass quantity improves and treble doesn't sound as harsh. Soundstage is noticeably larger too. W3000anv is definitely more technically competent than the W5000, but personally I prefer the sweeter midrange and the more standing out vocals of the W5000 than to the slightly dryer vocals of the W3000. 

My friend on the other hand said the W3000 sounded much better than the W5000 because he found the W5000 treble too glaring.

May 7, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #229 of 304
I haven't heard the W5000 for quite some time since I sold it. While the W3000ANV is more versatile, I still remember the strings and piano sounds awesome on the 5k.

May 7, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #230 of 304
I'm enjoying the W5000 with the Schitt Lyr2 in the low gain setting.  The sound I'm getting is very detailed with exceptional imaging which allows me to listen for days....  Although I wish I had a chance to listen to them with the HA5000 as I've heard some good things about them.

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #231 of 304
Is it true that the headphones ATH-W5000 have a poor bass level?? I tried them in an audio technica shop and it appears to be no bass in my music, I compared it with my Denon AH-D5000. Maybe it can improve with sufficient run-in time??? Can someone help me with this? :)

THX!

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #233 of 304
It needs: A, a very long burn-in time, and B, bending of those metal arcs if your head is normal or smaller than normal size.
A slightly warm source helps; I understand the 1.2.7FW of my DX100 gives a hint of bass boost. Adequate power also helps: the DX100 is a powerful DAP, but line out into the HA5000 amp did take the W5000 quite a few steps further.
So don't be fooled by the low impedance of the W5000, although efficient a headphone, a dedicated headphone amp with low output impedance but with lots of power in reserve will bring the best out of it.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #235 of 304
Hello,

Thank you all for your help :-D I'm glad that i found a proper forum for my headphone questions.

You can't compare the W5000's bass with the D5K. Falls short in both body and extension. Even so, I wouldn't say it has no bass. You probably couldn't get a good seal.

Which one fell short, the W5000 or the D5000? :) I got my D5000 in 2007 and only now, they are starting to die. I was pretty satisfied but I may be looking for something else.

It needs: A, a very long burn-in time, and B, bending of those metal arcs if your head is normal or smaller than normal size.
A slightly warm source helps; I understand the 1.2.7FW of my DX100 gives a hint of bass boost. Adequate power also helps: the DX100 is a powerful DAP, but line out into the HA5000 amp did take the W5000 quite a few steps further.
So don't be fooled by the low impedance of the W5000, although efficient a headphone, a dedicated headphone amp with low output impedance but with lots of power in reserve will bring the best out of it.

Waw, Thanks for the advice. THe DX100 is a little over my price range :) Now I use a Fiio E12. Do you think that is the right choice? Or should I let them run in with my Denon avr3310 receiver?

I wouldn't call it poor bass response but I did have to go through several amps before I was satisfied with them.  Are you considering purchasing these headphones?

Yes, I'm considering these headphones because they are very pleasing to the eye :) My Audio Technica dealer has one and when she re-opens after their summerbreak, I'm going for a demo.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #236 of 304
If the shop headphones haven't had extended play-time, I wouldn't think too much of it; I've compared three different W5000's; my first pair, bought used and that had seen a fair amount of use already, a second pair, also used but barely, that I have since sold on to a good friend, and the one in demo in the AT shop in Paris. Only my first well-used pair sounds full and has a deep bass. The second one was lacking a bit, and the shop one sounded a bit thin, underwhelming overall.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #237 of 304
  If the shop headphones haven't had extended play-time, I wouldn't think too much of it; I've compared three different W5000's; my first pair, bought used and that had seen a fair amount of use already, a second pair, also used but barely, that I have since sold on to a good friend, and the one in demo in the AT shop in Paris. Only my first well-used pair sounds full and has a deep bass. The second one was lacking a bit, and the shop one sounded a bit thin, underwhelming overall.

Huh, I don't understand. How can that happen, shouldn't they all sound the same?? Or are there different versions of the W5000 :-/ ????

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #238 of 304
Depending on how many hours are on them, they don't necessarily sound the same. I didn't believe in burn-in much originally, but I have now experienced differences. Even my DX100 sounded better after 400 hours of usage.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #239 of 304
The W5000 sounds MUCH better on the HA5000 than on the m-Stage. The sound becomes much clearer and less muffled. Bass quantity improves and treble doesn't sound as harsh. Soundstage is noticeably larger too. W3000anv is definitely more technically competent than the W5000, but personally I prefer the sweeter midrange and the more standing out vocals of the W5000 than to the slightly dryer vocals of the W3000. 

My friend on the other hand said the W3000 sounded much better than the W5000 because he found the W5000 treble too glaring.

100% my experience with AT Headphones. W5000 modded with piece of rope/tube inside to provide more distance from drivers to ears have proper amount of low frequencies. The same mod on 3000ANV ends in too much bass and smaller ear cups are uncomfortable for me. Maybe go back to stock setup.

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #240 of 304
So, I've had my W5000's for something like 6 years. Sounds like time for a change right? So I bought some Beyerdynamic T5p's because based on everything I read, they were THE closed head phones to have (bear in mind I own W5000's so I'm not a bass head at all). Nothing sounds magical on the T5p like it does with the W5000's. However the W5000's seem to have a slight veil so that some things don't sound as clear as they should.

What should my next step be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back