Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #242 of 304
I've not owned the t5p, but I have owned the T1 1st gen. Compared to the W5000 the T1's treble was more pronounced or sharper. The W5000 sounding warmer on my system. That might be what is being referred to.

Quote:
  So, I've had my W5000's for something like 6 years. Sounds like time for a change right? So I bought some Beyerdynamic T5p's because based on everything I read, they were THE closed head phones to have (bear in mind I own W5000's so I'm not a bass head at all). Nothing sounds magical on the T5p like it does with the W5000's. However the W5000's seem to have a slight veil so that some things don't sound as clear as they should.

What should my next step be?

My aim when I had the T1 and the W5k was to find a headphone with a contrasting signature, so I went with the HD650, which has a balanced and warmer sound. Took me a little while to adjust to the HD 650, but I love it now. String quartets can get fatiguing in the long run with the W5k and the T1(now sold for that reason). Not the case with the HD 650, perfect for just relaxing with the music, I find it has plentiful detail too. Of course I can imagine a W5k owner not liking that sound..

I also had the W1000X which I enjoyed but it became redundant after I purchased the W5000. Spikier treble which meant I found reaching for the w5k more.
I've not heard the W1000Z, but it might be worth researching the newest AT woodcup.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #243 of 304
I usually use them with an MMM but right now with an objective2 as I'm at my family home. The source right now is an Audioengine D3 or an iPhone 6s.

Ok maybe I don't mean veiled or not clear, it might warmth, there isn't quite the sparkle the T5p's have.

In terms of resolution though, the W5000 seems to do a much better job than the T5p (although they only have a few hours on them). Something like Fix You by Coldplay is a bit of a mushy mess on the T5p's.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #245 of 304
Does anyone have had any experience with the ATH-W5000 compared to a Fostex TH900? Are they similar are 2 completely different headphones?

Completely different. The W5000 have a rather unique presentation that you either love or hate and it isn't as versatile as the TH900. Certainly not what one call a safe tuning, but when it gets to the genre that it excels, it does give quite an unique experience.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #246 of 304
Completely different. The W5000 have a rather unique presentation that you either love or hate and it isn't as versatile as the TH900. Certainly not what one call a safe tuning, but when it gets to the genre that it excels, it does give quite an unique experience.

And what is the best genre of music for the W5000, in your opinion?

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #247 of 304
  Does anyone have had any experience with the ATH-W5000 compared to a Fostex TH900? Are they similar are 2 completely different headphones?

I'm second what Ra97oR said. They are completely different. There frequency responses would be almost opposite to one another. W5000 being mid-emphasized, bass-light while the TH900 is the exact opposite (bass-emphasized, sub bass/deep bass in particular, and mid-recessed). For treble, the differences are less than in other areas but I would say they still do differ.

I do enjoy my W5000 on particular genres, like Violin, Female vocals, Acoustics and such.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #249 of 304

Try to stick a bit of rubber hose or rope inside leather pads - you create cavity that will affect the sound - see if you like it. I also like them on stuff like Marty Friedman Dragon's Kiss and anything with electric guitar.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #250 of 304
Question from a junior head-fi'er: Does run-in time change the sound of the headphones? Because I'm currently selling my ex-demo unit of the W5000 because after a demo session, I think there is not enough bass with these headphones (my preferred music genre is EDM). Will that change after a good amount of run-in time? Or are they no match for my preferred music taste? :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #251 of 304
  Question from a junior head-fi'er: Does run-in time change the sound of the headphones? Because I'm currently selling my ex-demo unit of the W5000 because after a demo session, I think there is not enough bass with these headphones (my preferred music genre is EDM). Will that change after a good amount of run-in time? Or are they no match for my preferred music taste? :frowning2:

I found W5000 to have adequate bass for my liking, while definitely not a bassy nor bass-head headphone. The problem for getting more/better bass from W5000 is mostly due to not getting proper sealing.

Try one of the following:
1. Rubber-band mod. Use rubber band to 'bridge' the 3D wings together. This will make the headphone tighter hence giving better seal. Might ended up being a little less comfortable though.
2. Bend the headband. See Innerfidelity's video on W1000X for reference. Bend it the same way. Basically you make it 'narrower' and the cup more vertically aligned.
3. Stuff the ear pads with cotton. This will make them seal better around your ears.

I tried all of them, and the bass became much better. Ended up with option 1+2 only though. W5000 is definitely capable of delivering 'good enough' bass. (For my preference anyway).

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #252 of 304
Hi guys I just got this headphone few days ago. Just wondering what amp do you guys use for this can?
I tried using my DX90 but it sound so lifeless.. probably have to do with DX90 cold kind of sound does not compliment the W5000 well. Any suggestion?
redface.gif

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #253 of 304
From my experience with different W5000's, both long burn-in time and adequate bending affect sound. Also more power improves considerably the rendering. So play with all those variables for a fair time before giving up on these headphones.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #255 of 304
Good amp pairing other than the ath ha5000 ? I found these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-HA5K-Class-A-headphone-amplifier-base-Audio-Technica-HA5000-/111820657597?hash=item1a0907d3bd:g:444AAOSwAYtWQXb-

Says its based off the ha5000 and looks identical spec wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back