Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
Mar 27, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #211 of 304
Could anyone watching this thread comment on how the W5000 sound with music like Nick Cave, Tom Waits or Ryan Adams?
I am listening to a lot of male singer/songwriter music at the moment and I am looking for a pair of headphones to compliment my TH900's for some relaxing home listening.

Cheers.

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #212 of 304
I haven't listened to the TH900 so unfortunately can't compare.

I don't consider the W5000 as a 'relaxing' headphone.

- The sound is quite forward, meaning the music is more in your face and intimate. It gets loud quick, there is a sweet spot in low-mid volume level beyond which the sound unravels and becomes too uneven.

- It is a VERY detailed headphone, and I would also say it's generally a bright sounding headphone - but smooth and refined to me.

- Large headstage.

I associate relaxed listening with an open headphone (less air pressure to the ears, thus more comfortable), an expansive head/soundstage and laid back presentation giving the impression of the music being at a distance (this could also be down to the volume), and a flatter frequency response making the overall sound seem balanced. A warmer sounding headphone can also be 'relaxing'. Basically nothing intrusive, or emphasised too much is what I want if I want to relax.

I consider the HD650 is a relaxing headphone - but it does not hit all the above, among which sound/headstage.

I use the W5000 when I want to get really into the music, its detail, timbre. It's not accurate, but I love the tone of its midrange and treble. It makes the music engaging and gives the headphone character. But that could be another man's anathema. I enjoy it most with acoustic instruments.

Perhaps other owners can corroborate or not. Different set ups may produce different experiences.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #213 of 304

Thank you @SunTanScanMan for your detailed response. I really enjoyed reading it.

You helped me to clarify for myself that I am not really seeking a relaxing headphone at all.
I was initially drawn to the Oppo PM-2 as I am intrigued by the planar magnetic sound and I think that would fir the bill as a relaxing headphone. When I listened to it, it was very warm and lush. Like drinking hot chocolate.

The TH900's are fun to listen to, but you have to crank the volume; the bass is emphasized and the mids are a little recessed, but they are still really detailed.

I think what I am really after with the W5000's it to keep that details, but at lower listening volumes and a fuller midrange. I also seem to be drawn to Japanese wood headphones!

Cheers.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #214 of 304

Glad you found it useful.

I neglected to mention the bass. At least looking at the FR graphs for the TH900 and the W5000 it seems that's where the major differences will be. The rolled off bass gives the W5000 its lean sound. I find its bass well defined, and being a closed back, gives a sense of impact.

Another AT wood cup you could also consider is the W1000X* (now replaced by the W1000Z which I haven't heard)
It presents music slightly further away than the W5000, and has slightly more bass presence. It therefore sounds more balanced, and as a result many will find it more palatable than the W5000. The W1000X is still a bright headphone. Its treble has less body than the W5000 and therefore can sound more edgier.

With acoustic music, I think I prefer the more intimate and detailed presentation of the W5000. But there isn't such a massive gap between the W1000X and the W5000. The latter being a little more refined, but the W1000X is a lovely sounding headphone.

Edit: I'm using the W5000 pads on the W1000X - better comfort and seal.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #215 of 304
Thank you again @SunTanScanMan

I have been considering the W1000Z headphones. The new thicker earpads and the teak cups look really nice. I have also been considering the A2000X which have titanium earcups. That is three different Audio Technica headphones imported from Japan at three different price points. I am mostly drawn towards the W5000's as I like the idea of the intimate and detailed presentation, but I think it is ultimately going to come down to how much money I am able to spend.

I was also looking at the beyerdynamic T5p's but, and I know this is only aesthetics, they look so boring compared to the Japanese headphones.

I need closed headphones otherwise I would have already purchased some T1's or HD650's.
Our flat is very small and I need to be able to listen to music in the living room without disturbing my wife asleep in the bedroom.

Cheers.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #216 of 304
Quote:
  Thank you again @SunTanScanMan

I have been considering the W1000Z headphones. The new thicker earpads and the teak cups look really nice. I have also been considering the A2000X which have titanium earcups. That is three different Audio Technica headphones imported from Japan at three different price points. I am mostly drawn towards the W5000's as I like the idea of the intimate and detailed presentation, but I think it is ultimately going to come down to how much money I am able to spend.

I was also looking at the beyerdynamic T5p's but, and I know this is only aesthetics, they look so boring compared to the Japanese headphones.

I need closed headphones otherwise I would have already purchased some T1's or HD650's.
Our flat is very small and I need to be able to listen to music in the living room without disturbing my wife asleep in the bedroom.

Cheers.

Yeah totally understand about the open headphone situation.
smily_headphones1.gif

If it was based on purely aesthetics, it would be so much easier and I'd recommend the W5000 without hesitation. But of course it's not so simple.

Best of luck whatever you go for.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #217 of 304
A2000X is a bit underwhelming for is $500 pricetag. I'd stay away.

I'd take a chance on the W1000Z, people say it sounds like the W3000 and the W3000 > W5000 hands down, IMO. (Hope someone can confirm this.)

Also. I don't quite understand the people who call the W5000 a very detailed, bright sounding headphone. It sounds muffled compared to the K701, T1, A2000X, etc... But then the AD2000X had comparable treble to the W5000, and people call those detailed/bright, so maybe my standards are a bit off. Btw I was using the Matrix M-Stage which I found drove these audio-technica's just fine.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #218 of 304
Guess we hear different then.
normal_smile .gif

Amp output impedance could also be a factor in our differing impressions. I've experimented with 75, 40 ohm output resistor adaptors and your impressions seem familiar. Obviously the M-Stage's OI isn't that high. My impressions on the headphones were based on use with zero OI. I use the T1 with and without the 100ohm resistor adaptor depending on what I want. Mostly with.

The T1's treble might be brighter, perhaps a little emphasised to its overall balanced sound. Semi-open design and its driver makes for a faster sound decay I suppose.
The W5000 does definitely feels more closed in, no getting away from its closed design. But can't say it's muffled or anything other than it being a very detailed headphone. I'd maybe consider the HD650 being muffled in comparison.

I haven't heard the other headphones you mentioned, so very possible our points of reference may be different.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #219 of 304
The Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 are perhaps the most polarizing headphones I have ever experienced. I personally prefer my Koss KSC75 while others swear by them. The juxtaposition of anemic bass and watery midrange is incredibly off-putting.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #221 of 304
  i have heard w5000 +ha5000 many times. 
Still think it is not as good as W2002 or W3000 or DX1000 or TH900

I have been wanting to get a pair of DX1000's for a while now as I am a big fan of JVC headphones.
I decided to go for the TH900 instead to avoid importing fees when buying something from Japan.
I now feel like I cannot warrant owning both the Fostex and JVC's as they share similar characteristics.
That is why I find myself drawn to the Audio Technica W series despite the extreme polarizing opinions.
Out of all the Japanese wood headphones, JVC, Fostex and Denon all seem to share sonic traits.
Audio Technica are the ones that seem to me to offer something different.
The Kurada kd-fp10 seem promising but re not yet available outside of Japan.
The Sony MDR-R10 are gone forever I think.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #222 of 304
It's been a few years since I've owned a W5000. Still miss having them around. Maybe I'll pick up a pair soon to go along with my AD2000X. Hmmm. But money :p

May 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #224 of 304
New pair should be in today! $650 new from buydig seemed pretty good. I looked for a used pair but none popped up. Hope I like them as much as I remember. Always preferred it over the W3000ANV for some reason. Just something about it.

May 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #225 of 304
  New pair should be in today! $650 new from buydig seemed pretty good. I looked for a used pair but none popped up. Hope I like them as much as I remember. Always preferred it over the W3000ANV for some reason. Just something about it.

Congrats! I probably enjoy listening to the W5000 most. Listening to a lot of chamber music these days and I love how strings and piano sound with these, and how close the instruments are to the listener. Also I wear glasses, and The W5000's fit seems be affected less negatively than my other cans.

If I were to get a new headphone, I would sell one and get the AD2000X. Had the AD700X and enjoyed them immensely. But I'm at a happy state equipment-wise at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back