Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 6, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #781 of 1,047
In this version, it is impossible to hear the echo. I wrote you a private message.

Undid the Tolis mod to my msr7bs, retried that Dire Straits echo bit at start of track I can confirm there is now a bit more echo and overall change to the noise signature, I think ill just keep the msr7bs with the way they were built.

Guess when you tweak and change things on the inside its always possible to lose or sometimes add to that overall sound signature, not to suggest the Tolis mod is a bad one but you may find it better or not, bit like when you get different pads sometimes that original sound is altered.

Still want to get my hands on an AKG K371 and compare to these msr7bs

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #782 of 1,047
Well got a pair of AKG K371s, noticed immediately compared to my msr7bs, the voices are pushed more back and lacking detail. Tried few other fav tracks (flac) and was same across all of them. This also counts for the instrument details.

Even with bumping up the volume to match the msr7bs which are easier to drive, it still lacked that detail and clarity in voices and instruments.

The pads on the K371 are deeper cups and engulf my entire ear with little ear touching on the driver, pads felt better then my akg K550s but not as soft or plush as the msr7bs, also K371s tad more heavier overall but the clamp distributes the weight well, the single wire on the left is excellent and more easier to manage being one sided then say the msr7bs dual wire design. The K371 ear cups don't turn inwards, so you cant for example hang them on around your neck in a portable fashion, msr7bs do which is important for ear and sweat breaks.

The K371s don't sound harsh at all though, msr7bs you can certainly tell are bit more harsh overall although the paper towel mod can help ease this if required.

Overall though the sound quality matters, so the Msr7bs are keepers and the K371s are heading back for a refund on this occasion.

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #784 of 1,047
I bought these ones for music listening, but they are a bit lacking in terms of bass and a bit harsh on the highs. I do enjoy using them for gaming. I'm sure a lot of people love them but they just don't do it for me in terms of music listening.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #785 of 1,047
Got my Custom made Cosmic Cable from Ian, review with pics is here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cos...discussion-thread.919770/page-5#post-16722583

These solve one of the biggest nightmare issues the msr7bs get with tangle wires issue, I no longer get them with the Cosmic cable. And this is with flipping my hps back to front off the desk and then same on my shoulder and on my head, anyone that has done this knows how tangled the original cables get.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #786 of 1,047
Do the higher end Audio Technica headphones use the same connector as MSR7B?

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #788 of 1,047
Thanks. If I get Audio Technica ATH-MSR7B, I want Lqi Cables.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #789 of 1,047
Thanks. If I get Audio Technica ATH-MSR7B, I want Lqi Cables.
Some companies don't have the connector but most do, so you may need to check with them. Also if it were me I would stay away from silver content in the cable as they can often add a bit of treble emphasis, which the MSR7b doesn't really need.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #790 of 1,047
Does anybody use ATH-MSR7B with Sony NW-WM1Z or Lotoo Paw Gold Touch?

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #791 of 1,047
Some companies don't have the connector but most do, so you may need to check with them. Also if it were me I would stay away from silver content in the cable as they can often add a bit of treble emphasis, which the MSR7b doesn't really need.
I emailed them and they quickly answered. Lqi carries the correct cable.

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #793 of 1,047
Has anyone tried ATH-MSR7B with the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch in balanced?

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #794 of 1,047
No, in fact I like treble extension on the MSR7 with the original pads, although sub bass is almost absent as compared to my Sony WH1000XM4. Except for ocasional sibilance in voices in a few tracks, detail and resolution is similar to BA IEMs that I have. I.paid a lot for Yaxi earpads (customs duties included) and except for a slight midbass increase bleeding into mids (vocals) detail and crispness are lost due to dampening of high frequencies. Better buy a cheaper Sony or Sennheiser headphone to get more bass and less treble. In fact, I returned the AT M50x due to bloated bass and low resolution, and exchanged it for the MSR7....
I found the WH-1000XM4 to be too bass heavy. The SRH1540s seem perfect for me, but I am curious about the ATH-MSR7B.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #795 of 1,047
Guys, for those of you who have experienced both, which do you feel works better for orchestral music (OST mainly), MSR7 or AKG K553 Pro? Looking for good detail and imaging

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back