Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #751 of 1,051
Hey everyone,

So I bought these to upgrade my ath-m50xs. While I really liked the mx50s, I do like these better so far. There are some drawbacks. I miss the collapsible feature. I am also not terribly fond of the wires provided. Finally, while the pads provided are softer more comfortable in terms of feel, there are a little small as my ears just fit inside.
I read or skimmed most of the posts. Someone mentioned using Dekoni, but as far as I can tell, they delineate their m50xs pads as also crap ale for the msr7 series. I am rather skeptical of that. Can anyone confirm? Searches on reddit indicate that using pads for M50x or other audio Technica headphones do not work well.
I do not trust brainwavz as the pads I bought forthr m50xs did change both sound signature and sound isolation.
I will check out reviews of Taxi mentioned above and will see if so can get those but would appreciate if so down could advise whether other msr7 dekoni pads are available or if Dekoni pads for M50x will actually work.

Jul 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #754 of 1,051
What are the settings needed to equalize the MSR7B to make it as "flat" or "reference" sounding as much as possible?
Hi @Oluvs Buddy ,
I haven't done it for headphones, but I've used the Dayton Audio iMM-6, to measure my IEMs directly from my phone. I cut a short piece of aquarium filter tubing, to create the chamber between the mic and the IEM, and used (if I recall correctly) the RTA app from the Google Play store, played a pink noise track on my phone, and saw the realtime frequency graph displayed by the RTA amp. I applied EQ, in realtime, and saw how the frequency graph changed.

I imagine I could construct a different chamber (as the aquarium tubing obviously won't create a seal on the headphone's pad), but it's probably not worth it, as there are off-the-shelf rigs I can buy for a few hundred bucks that will do a WAY better job.

Another option for you might be to just look at the published frequency graphs for the MSR7b (e.g., Crinacle's), and just approximate the EQ settings. E.g., Crinacle's graph shows that they have about a 5 dB boost between 40 - 100 Hz. You can reduce your EQ's bass frequencies by about 5 dBs to help neutralize it.
E.g., on my Samsung S20's 10-band EQ (in "Sound quality and effects"), I would proabably reduce the 63 Hz by 4 dB, reduce 125 Hz by 3 dB, increase the 250 Hz band by 4 dB, increase 500 Hz by 1 db. Not perfect, by any means, but you get the idea.

I'm not pretending to be an expert (or even a knowledgeable novice) so take my advice for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #755 of 1,051
I tried to remove the diaphragm (white circle sticker) between two cameras this headphone as described in these messages:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...iscussion-thread.893314/page-48#post-16132360
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...iscussion-thread.893314/page-49#post-16267235
After removal of the diaphragm, the bass appears, but the detail disappears ;(, so the diaphragm has set back. Then I decided to insert in the middle of the yellow spongy gasket (which absorbs the sound and serves to suppress sound reflections from the walls of the headphone chamber) small air duct from the diaphragm to the middle of the dynamics where there is a deepening. Gasket I slightly cut through the middle. I made the air duct from the rod for the handle, the length is 7 mm.
http://ixbt.photo/?id=photo:1442798
At the same time, the bass was added, but the detail was not lost. If you do a large diameter duct - bass increases, but the detail falls. In addition, I made a ring out of a tight cover for a paper notebook and glued it to the two-rod scotch under the ear pads - it changes the headphone timbre for the better.
http://ixbt.photo/?id=photo:1442796

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #756 of 1,051
Any MSR 7 fans that would like more bass, better Soundstage, imaging precision, and detail retrieval really should look into SR9, they are under appreciated simply because eof their expensive MSRP IMO. Used good condition of those can be find for cheaper than new MSR7b.

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #757 of 1,051
I tried to remove the diaphragm (white circle sticker) between two cameras this headphone as described in these messages:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...iscussion-thread.893314/page-48#post-16132360
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...iscussion-thread.893314/page-49#post-16267235
After removal of the diaphragm, the bass appears, but the detail disappears ;(, so the diaphragm has set back. Then I decided to insert in the middle of the yellow spongy gasket (which absorbs the sound and serves to suppress sound reflections from the walls of the headphone chamber) small air duct from the diaphragm to the middle of the dynamics where there is a deepening. Gasket I slightly cut through the middle. I made the air duct from the rod for the handle, the length is 7 mm.
http://ixbt.photo/?id=photo:1442798
At the same time, the bass was added, but the detail was not lost. If you do a large diameter duct - bass increases, but the detail falls. In addition, I made a ring out of a tight cover for a paper notebook and glued it to the two-rod scotch under the ear pads - it changes the headphone timbre for the better.
http://ixbt.photo/?id=photo:1442796

Are you positive you lose details from doing the mod ? I never noticed anything myself listening to my flac music collection, if anything it was a bit too harsh in the uppers and to me it felt like the msr7bs were veiled or blocked with those white stickers.

Not run any science or fancy frequency graphs stuff though.

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #758 of 1,051
Any MSR 7 fans that would like more bass, better Soundstage, imaging precision, and detail retrieval really should look into SR9, they are under appreciated simply because eof their expensive MSRP IMO. Used good condition of those can be find for cheaper than new MSR7b.

I did consider trying these, see them on ebay sometimes for £200ish, just slightly put off with that dual wire system though, although its manageable just like with the msr7bs much prefer the single wire entry coming from the side. They also weigh bit more and appear to have come out well before the msr7bs.

Would have been lovely if AT released some updated closed hps.

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #759 of 1,051
IMHO, They are not very good:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-technica/ath-sr9/
Are you positive you lose details from doing the mod
Yes. Details I check on the song Dire Straits "Water of love". At the very beginning of the song there is a knock and an echo should be heard. You need to turn up the volume to hear it. But the echo should be heard clearly. In addition, it seems to me that the tonal balance is changing. And I didn't like it.

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #760 of 1,051
IMHO, They are not very good:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-technica/ath-sr9/

Yes. Details I check on the song Dire Straits "Water of love". At the very beginning of the song there is a knock and an echo should be heard. You need to turn up the volume to hear it. But the echo should be heard clearly. In addition, it seems to me that the tonal balance is changing. And I didn't like it.

Fair enough, If I get chance, I may try the same song as a comparison and see if my ears can spot any difference. Guess always the risk when you mod hps !

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #761 of 1,051
I did take a listen to Dire Straits Water of love

Can hear the click click....click click but not much of an echo coming from it, this is with my Tolis mod on my ATmsr7bs naturally.

So if I manage to un-do my mod those clicks or knocks should have a more distinct longer echo to them ?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #763 of 1,051
Im not too sure about the difference between the wired Sr9 and DSR9, as the empty space the inside the cups of DSR9 leaves probably is being used for something in SR9 so acoustically they can be quite different. but so far i dont hear all thats mentioned in that write up. so far tho the DSR9 is the best wireless headphone I've ever heard, and I think its the best sounding SR (sound reality) model IMO, I prefer it over the SR5, OG MSR7, SE or B, and all of the M series models. compared to MSR7 specifically (from memory as I dont have the MSR7 anymore but have tried all of its variations extensively whenever I visit local Jaben shop) It has a tad bigger soundstage, better extension on both down low and up high, better instrument placement, and, as the last nail, as good detail retrieval as my M70x (of which I prefer over the MSR7 already). the thing it loses on is mids and vocal presence, i feel it lost a bit of that "Audio Technica vocal" as its drawn back just a tad with the increased bass presence.
Wasnt much of a fan of wireless before, but the DSR9 change my mind, it sounds so good with all the Bluetooth convenience, and even if the battery went kaput on me (which is my biggest fear of battery-bound audio devices) it can still be driven from USB with it turned off, both from PC or phone with OTG adapter.
I wonder why AT havent released another BT model of MSR7? sure i know they had the DSR7 model before but that, just like DSR9 is by design different from its analogue model, they just refreshed M50x to its BT2 model, surely MSR7 is popular enough for it to have its own BT version?

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #765 of 1,051
Im not too sure about the difference between the wired Sr9 and DSR9, as the empty space the inside the cups of DSR9 leaves probably is being used for something in SR9 so acoustically they can be quite different. but so far i dont hear all thats mentioned in that write up. so far tho the DSR9 is the best wireless headphone I've ever heard, and I think its the best sounding SR (sound reality) model IMO, I prefer it over the SR5, OG MSR7, SE or B, and all of the M series models. compared to MSR7 specifically (from memory as I dont have the MSR7 anymore but have tried all of its variations extensively whenever I visit local Jaben shop) It has a tad bigger soundstage, better extension on both down low and up high, better instrument placement, and, as the last nail, as good detail retrieval as my M70x (of which I prefer over the MSR7 already). the thing it loses on is mids and vocal presence, i feel it lost a bit of that "Audio Technica vocal" as its drawn back just a tad with the increased bass presence.
Wasnt much of a fan of wireless before, but the DSR9 change my mind, it sounds so good with all the Bluetooth convenience, and even if the battery went kaput on me (which is my biggest fear of battery-bound audio devices) it can still be driven from USB with it turned off, both from PC or phone with OTG adapter.
I wonder why AT havent released another BT model of MSR7? sure i know they had the DSR7 model before but that, just like DSR9 is by design different from its analogue model, they just refreshed M50x to its BT2 model, surely MSR7 is popular enough for it to have its own BT version?

I didn't think wireless hps could really compete with mid to high end wired hps, always felt the codecs and bitrates were never going to be good enough via a wireless signal, same impression I read from Sony xm3/4 and other top end wireless hp owners.

I did own the panda thx wireless hps briefly, but they did not come close to my msr7bs sound quality wise, but not tried the dsr9s before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back