Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #676 of 1,051
According to Amazon they were going to arrive on december but they arrived today by surprise. Spent 1 hour with them hooked to my BTR5 and Soundblaster XG6 and I'm really pleased with the sound so far. They sound really good for a closed back. Frequencies are well balanced and got a decent level of detail, specially in the highs, without being harsh or sibilant. Soundstage is ok.
For me they are like a good ATHM50x, they sound similar but way better without that muddy bass and the piercing highs of the M50x.
In the other hand, the build quality it's below average in my opinion for a headphone that retailed over 200€. They look fragile and seems like the pleather it's gonna fall apart soon. Thankfully they are quite comfortable.
Still need to play with them and try some Eq but for 109 euros they are a big win.
Regarding the build quality complaints, I'm happy to say you're wrong. It's true that the original MSR7 were built like a tank. They were heavier and felt more premium, more substantial. But I've had the MSR7b for about a year now and they are just like new. And with them being my portable pair, they've seen some abuse. They've been thrown around in bags, have been dropped, have been stuffed in cases, worn in buses/airplanes, you name it. They've been with me everywhere. Not a blemish. Not a scuff. And the pleather looks exactly as it did the day it arrived.

Just a note, it took about 2 years for the pleather on the MSR7 headband to start peeling off, but these had survived even more abuse than the MSR7b.

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #677 of 1,051
Regarding the build quality complaints, I'm happy to say you're wrong. It's true that the original MSR7 were built like a tank. They were heavier and felt more premium, more substantial. But I've had the MSR7b for about a year now and they are just like new. And with them being my portable pair, they've seen some abuse. They've been thrown around in bags, have been dropped, have been stuffed in cases, worn in buses/airplanes, you name it. They've been with me everywhere. Not a blemish. Not a scuff. And the pleather looks exactly as it did the day it arrived.

Just a note, it took about 2 years for the pleather on the MSR7 headband to start peeling off, but these had survived even more abuse than the MSR7b.
Nice to hear that, I was sharing my first impressions. They feel weak and plasticky to me. I guess it's made like that to be lightweight but I have cans with similar weight that feel sturdier. That's why I said that.
Anyways thanks for sharing your experiences with them!

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #679 of 1,051
Hi guys, I was suggested recently here between few headphones to go dt770. I was about to pull a trigger on them then I saw msr7b on sale. Difference now is about 30 euros and even less on some other stores, so now I'm undecided between those 2. I would appreciate your help.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #680 of 1,051

Thanks. I spent some time with my MSR7B and M11P the past couple days and do still really enjoy them.

I’ve been in an instant love affair with an HD600 and Little Dot III setup the past couple weeks (still with the M11P) and was caught by the idea of finding a similar quality, warm-sounding closed headphone, mainly for listening late at night in bed and not bugging my wife.

I’m now wondering if the 1540 would be be an improvement over the MSR7B or more of a sideways step. It seems like it would definitely be a warmer and maybe more bass heavy sound, but possibly not as detailed as the MSR7B or HD600.

It seems like a lot of the price difference between the 1540 and MSR7B could be in the build material, packaging, and extras, and not so much the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #681 of 1,051
Thanks. I spent some time with my MSR7B and M11P the past couple days and do still really enjoy them.

I’ve been in an instant love affair with an HD600 and Little Dot III setup the past couple weeks (still with the M11P) and was caught by the idea of finding a similar quality, warm-sounding closed headphone, mainly for listening late at night in bed and not bugging my wife.

I’m now wondering if the 1540 would be be an improvement over the MSR7B or more of a sideways step. It seems like it would definitely be a warmer and maybe more bass heavy sound, but possibly not as detailed as the MSR7B or HD600.

It seems like a lot of the price difference between the 1540 and MSR7B could be in the build material, packaging, and extras, and not so much the sound.
I think either of these will seem a bit brighter than you HD600. The MSR7b will probably have the edge of stereo imaging over the Shure and the HD600. Depends if you want a more neutral sound in which case the HD600 is nearest.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #682 of 1,051
I think either of these will seem a bit brighter than you HD600. The MSR7b will probably have the edge of stereo imaging over the Shure and the HD600. Depends if you want a more neutral sound in which case the HD600 is nearest.

Thanks.

I should probably bring this over to a 1540 thread. :)

As for the MSR7B, they are amazing closed backs and I highly recommend them, especially for DAPs with a 4.4 balanced out.

Also, I’ve been noticing how sensitive they are to physical placement. A couple notches up/down, shifting them forward/back, etc, can make a big difference, particularly in the treble.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #683 of 1,051
Thanks.

I should probably bring this over to a 1540 thread. :)

As for the MSR7B, they are amazing closed backs and I highly recommend them, especially for DAPs with a 4.4 balanced out.

Also, I’ve been noticing how sensitive they are to physical placement. A couple notches up/down, shifting them forward/back, etc, can make a big difference, particularly in the treble.
The MSR7b are quite affected in the bass if you wear specs too.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #684 of 1,051
The MSR7b are quite affected in the bass if you wear specs too.

Yes, noticed this right away with my Ray Ban sunglasses. Not as much difference with my RB regular glasses, which have smaller arms and don’t sit out from my head as far.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #688 of 1,051
I recently purchased a pair of MSR7B’s from Amazon in their Cyber sale. I own many headphones but was looking for a good portable closed back headphone. My “go-to” headphones are the Nighthawk Carbons and Sivga Phoenix but these are both open backs. I also own a fair few closed backs including Nad Viso HP50, Beoplay H6 2nd Gen and Meze 99 Classics.

What intrigued me about the MSR7B’s were the fact they can be run balanced as all my listening is done via my Fiio M11 and/or Q5S or BTR5.

Basically, out of the box these were quite hot at high frequencies. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good amount of warmth and treble, but I just found this a little bit of a distraction. So I persevered and experimented with some different pads. The stock pads are not bad but I did find them a bit uncomfortable after more than 30 minutes. But the treble harshness was the main drag.

So I did a google search for pad swaps/mods for these headphones and found this thread and I am so pleased that I took time to read thoroughly through it because I have found some fantastic information and advice, otherwise these headphones would have been history and returned to Amazon!

To cut a long story short, despite being extremely sceptical and worrying about invalidating my returns warranty, I painstakingly followed the @tolis626 mod to remove the inner felt ring which I performed without any fuss. I also replaced the stock pads with Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin pads.

Wow, wow, wow...what seemed on the surface as a nitsh1t, minor adjustment mod has transformed this into a game changing headphone. Since applying the mod these headphones have not left my noggin! And the Sivga’s and Nighthawks find themselves in temporary semi lockdown retirement!

There is so much I love about this headphone now following the mod and pad swap - bass has a natural warmth with a tad more (and more realistic) rumble. Treble is no longer ringing or substantial, it’s a bit further back than it was but is still apparent and natural. When you hear a snare you definitely hear a snare and cymbals have s nice exacting shimmer. Mids have opened up a bit, vocals are bit more relaxed but not out of kilter with everything else. Soundstage is slightly wider mainly due to the pad swap where the angled pads open the sound up a bit more.

If I was to use words to describe these headphones then I would say “musicality”, “timbre” and “engaging”. IMHO they outperform all the other closed backs I own or have owned. For example, the Meze 99 Classics sound more bloated in sub bass and mids compared to the MSR7B’s and therefore have now been retired. Even when I use the 99 Classics with a balanced cable and different Pads they cannot compete with the MSR7B’s. These are that good that they are currently keeping my open backs (Sivga Phoenix and Nighthawk Carbons) on the bench, which is some feat for a closed back headphone that costs at least a 1/3 of their RRP!

Just one final word - with the M11 these headphones are extremely easy to drive but find that using High Gain provides that extra bit of oomph. I’ve also found that playing DSD files raises the whole audio experience, listening to Dark Side Of The Moon DSD128 vinyl rips is absolutely sublime and competes with my experience listening to vinyl through my Record player and amp!

This is what makes me find this hobby so fascinating that sometimes you can pluck a jewel like this from a reasonable shallow dig in terms of cost, £125/$168 is an absolute steal!

I would just like to thank this community and show kudos for the pearls of wisdom and comments raised on this thread, I am really glad I read them!

Best regards, a happy new MSR7B owner 🤩🎧💝

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #689 of 1,051
I recently purchased a pair of MSR7B’s from Amazon in their Cyber sale. I own many headphones but was looking for a good portable closed back headphone. My “go-to” headphones are the Nighthawk Carbons and Sivga Phoenix but these are both open backs. I also own a fair few closed backs including Nad Viso HP50, Beoplay H6 2nd Gen and Meze 99 Classics.

What intrigued me about the MSR7B’s were the fact they can be run balanced as all my listening is done via my Fiio M11 and/or Q5S or BTR5.

Basically, out of the box these were quite hot at high frequencies. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good amount of warmth and treble, but I just found this a little bit of a distraction. So I persevered and experimented with some different pads. The stock pads are not bad but I did find them a bit uncomfortable after more than 30 minutes. But the treble harshness was the main drag.

So I did a google search for pad swaps/mods for these headphones and found this thread and I am so pleased that I took time to read thoroughly through it because I have found some fantastic information and advice, otherwise these headphones would have been history and returned to Amazon!

To cut a long story short, despite being extremely sceptical and worrying about invalidating my returns warranty, I painstakingly followed the @tolis626 mod to remove the inner felt ring which I performed without any fuss. I also replaced the stock pads with Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin pads.

Wow, wow, wow...what seemed on the surface as a nitsh1t, minor adjustment mod has transformed this into a game changing headphone. Since applying the mod these headphones have not left my noggin! And the Sivga’s and Nighthawks find themselves in temporary semi lockdown retirement!

There is so much I love about this headphone now following the mod and pad swap - bass has a natural warmth with a tad more (and more realistic) rumble. Treble is no longer ringing or substantial, it’s a bit further back than it was but is still apparent and natural. When you hear a snare you definitely hear a snare and cymbals have s nice exacting shimmer. Mids have opened up a bit, vocals are bit more relaxed but not out of kilter with everything else. Soundstage is slightly wider mainly due to the pad swap where the angled pads open the sound up a bit more.

If I was to use words to describe these headphones then I would say “musicality”, “timbre” and “engaging”. IMHO they outperform all the other closed backs I own or have owned. For example, the Meze 99 Classics sound more bloated in sub bass and mids compared to the MSR7B’s and therefore have now been retired. Even when I use the 99 Classics with a balanced cable and different Pads they cannot compete with the MSR7B’s. These are that good that they are currently keeping my open backs (Sivga Phoenix and Nighthawk Carbons) on the bench, which is some feat for a closed back headphone that costs at least a 1/3 of their RRP!

Just one final word - with the M11 these headphones are extremely easy to drive but find that using High Gain provides that extra bit of oomph. I’ve also found that playing DSD files raises the whole audio experience, listening to Dark Side Of The Moon DSD128 vinyl rips is absolutely sublime and competes with my experience listening to vinyl through my Record player and amp!

This is what makes me find this hobby so fascinating that sometimes you can pluck a jewel like this from a reasonable shallow dig in terms of cost, £125/$168 is an absolute steal!

I would just like to thank this community and show kudos for the pearls of wisdom and comments raised on this thread, I am really glad I read them!

Best regards, a happy new MSR7B owner 🤩🎧💝
Thanks for this, althought I was enjoying them I also found the highs to be too much sometimes and it gets fatiguing on long sessions. Gonna try the swap pad you suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back