Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #692 of 1,047
Mine arrieved today, I love them soo far. They are wide, everything is separated and detailed. Probably gonna buy ifi zen dac in few weeks so I can use them balanced.

Thanks! Please feel free to let us know how you like the pairing once you have your ZEN DAC. :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 4, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #693 of 1,047
Does someone here has msr7b and hifman sundara. Or listened them. And can say something about them a little bit. As i really like msr7b but thinking to get open back planars as an alternative and backup. My priorities in sound is speed in transients and control in all frequencies with tightness in low end and with good treble extension. This msr7b really delivers exeptionally good as closed back dynamic type. Also 4.4 balanced out of the box is what makes them good choice. Regarding sundara it seems for me as a good alternative with planar bonuses. Am i wrong? Thanks a lot

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #694 of 1,047
Does someone here has msr7b and hifman sundara. Or listened them. And can say something about them a little bit. As i really like msr7b but thinking to get open back planars as an alternative and backup. My priorities in sound is speed in transients and control in all frequencies with tightness in low end and with good treble extension. This msr7b really delivers exeptionally good as closed back dynamic type. Also 4.4 balanced out of the box is what makes them good choice. Regarding sundara it seems for me as a good alternative with planar bonuses. Am i wrong? Thanks a lot
I would recommend Sundara over 7b for more spacious sound, and open sound, not fatiguing highs, and better bass presence.

Caveats is, Sundara will not be as easy to drive properly, and will not perform fully with portable amp, and the treble on 7b seems cleaner. Speed is no issue with planars usually as long as you drive them sufficiently. Sundara isn't thick sounding which gives it a perception of fast.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #695 of 1,047
I would recommend Sundara over 7b for more spacious sound, and open sound, not fatiguing highs, and better bass presence.

Caveats is, Sundara will not be as easy to drive properly, and will not perform fully with portable amp, and the treble on 7b seems cleaner. Speed is no issue with planars usually as long as you drive them sufficiently. Sundara isn't thick sounding which gives it a perception of fast.
Thanks a lot, seem that sundara not so easy to drive as msr7 but i will not have problems here. And for more spacious sound and bass presence it looks like these things i would like to add a little bit to msr7b. Will see.

Dec 16, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #697 of 1,047
I'm going to try my best to describe my issue with my MSR7B and IFI ZEN DAC combo i recently purchased. About a month ago I got the Phillips Ph805 for 89 euros(!!!) in a flash sale from a portuguese local retailer. Didn't have a clue if the sound was good or not. I was just curious because I was never and audiophile but I like my music to sound as good as I can afford and these were half the price (179 euros). I was really impressed with the sound. I know that Bluetooth headphones are not really audiophile material but nonetheless was really impressed. Then I started to investigate a bit more about audiophile gear and bla bla bla I got my hands on the aforementioned combo. I feel that there is a slightly higher pitch in the sound (sort of like a doppler effect when the sound source is too close). I was wondering if my pair is one of the fakes ones people have been talking about in this forum? Despite the this little annoyance, I think they sound quite good and with the balanced connection the volume potential is tremendous.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #698 of 1,047
I'm going to try my best to describe my issue with my MSR7B and IFI ZEN DAC combo i recently purchased. About a month ago I got the Phillips Ph805 for 89 euros(!!!) in a flash sale from a portuguese local retailer. Didn't have a clue if the sound was good or not. I was just curious because I was never and audiophile but I like my music to sound as good as I can afford and these were half the price (179 euros). I was really impressed with the sound. I know that Bluetooth headphones are not really audiophile material but nonetheless was really impressed. Then I started to investigate a bit more about audiophile gear and bla bla bla I got my hands on the aforementioned combo. I feel that there is a slightly higher pitch in the sound (sort of like a doppler effect when the sound source is too close). I was wondering if my pair is one of the fakes ones people have been talking about in this forum? Despite the this little annoyance, I think they sound quite good and with the balanced connection the volume potential is tremendous.
Are you using the MSR7B with a) the cable with the 3.5mm plug (unbalanced) or b) the cable with 4.4mm plug (balanced)? I have the MSR7B/Zen DAC combo and find the unbalanced connection produces a sharp higher pitch. The MSR7B with the balanced connection sounds smoother and more well rounded.

With respect to the fake issue, I thought that was limited to original MSR7 headphones and not the newer MSR7B headphones. If that information is outdated, please correct me.

Hope that helps.

Dec 16, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #699 of 1,047
Thank you for your reply. I'm using the balanced connection. I did read in other forums that the Doppler effect on headphones is mostly due to the mind's adjustment to the sound, so it's psychological... Not sure what to think of it but I'm starting to think that way because I'm still somehow hooked to the bassy, somewhat contained sound of the PH805 and and this combo produces a more refined and clear sound. I do enjoy it nonetheless and I don't feel my msr7b's are fake but they got a bit overshadowed by this small detail. Thanks once again for your help.

Edit: oh and the msr7b's costed 110 euros on the spanish Amazon. Too good of a deal to pass on, right?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #702 of 1,047
Thanks to everyone in this thread in helping me decide on these headphones. Upgrading from the M50x which I passed on to my brother. Got the Gun Metal version (as it was cheaper here - 270 CAD total). Mainly listening to musicals, certain metal genres, old rock, new age, pop, classical and soundtracks. So far loving these and they are comfortable even while wearing glasses. No need for me to replace the pads as they fit nicely on me and I can wear them for extended periods of time. I'll be pairing this with the Fiio Q5s TC for my Note 10+ for mobility. Not an audiophile, but want to experience sound on a balanced connection too. Still not a fan of wireless (even with LDAC, it still cuts out on the BTR3 I have).

Currently have an Amazon HD family subscription. I was looking at other services like Tidal and Deezer, but might just stick with Amazon as it's overall much cheaper and fits my needs,

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #703 of 1,047
Just pulled the trigger on one of these. :sweat_smile:
I was contemplating between the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80Ohm, AKG K361 and the Audio-Technica MSR7b.

My current cans are the Sennheiser HD280 PRO(Old version), Sennheiser HD650, Shure SRH-940, Ultrasone HFI-680.
Between these my favorite sounding is the HD280 PRO with the SRH-940 a close second. Anyone know how these will compare to them?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #705 of 1,047
I received my MSR7b about an hour ago. I'm listening to a few tracks and I'm not sure what to make out yet.
At the moment it feels like the mid-bass is a bit too much and not much sub-bass. Treble isn't too bad. Will see if it improves a bit with more listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back